Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongoing contract and change of landlord

Options
  • 17-09-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello Folks,

I'm renting apartment for 5 years now, and it has been sold recently (new landlord, new agency etc), they want me to sign a new contract for 12 months, but since I'm planning to buy my own gaf I would prefer rolling contract, or at least 6 months agreement?
    Was there anyone in a similar situation?
    Also rent went up by over 30% :( but I like this place and its hard to move...

Thanks!
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if they bought wirth a tennant (i.e you) in situ they are bound to the lease agreement they ahve taken over.

So assuming you had a lease with your old landlord then they cannot look to increase the rent within a 12 month period from the last time it was reviewed.

If you were on a rolling contract i.e part 4 then there is no obligation for you to sign a lease, although if your rent wasnt reviewed in the past 12 months they are entitled to increase it.

30% sounds a lot, were you recieving a below market rent ? As they cannot put the rent up to unreasonable levels. If you feel the rent now being asked for is well above market rate then you can advise them that you are taking a case to the PRTB regarding the rental increase. This will allow you continue paying the current rent rate and will allow the PRTB review the case to see if the increase is warranted or not.

However if they side witht he LL be aware that you will owe all the back rent whilst waiting for them to review the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Excellent post by D3PO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 electromecca

thanks D3PO my rent was below market rate, looking at the prtb rate index it makes sense that its gone up. Anyhow I will check with the agency if they're not happy with 6 months contract then I sign for 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Why sign the 12 month? You have absolutely no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

thanks D3PO my rent was below market rate, looking at the prtb rate index it makes sense that its gone up. Anyhow I will check with the agency if they're not happy with 6 months contract then I sign for 12 months.

Ok it seems the rent increase is reasonable then.

Re the contract dont get railroaded into a contract you do not want to sign. You do not need to do so.

Tell them you are on a part 4 contract and want to remain that way. There is nothing they can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This happened to me up adn tehy wanted rent to go up 22%. We met half way and it's gone up 0%. :D At least make an effort to negotiate the rent, they don't want tenants to leave just as they take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This happened to me up adn tehy wanted rent to go up 22%. We met half way and it's gone up 0%. :D At least make an effort to negotiate the rent, they don't want tenants to leave just as they take over.

Sometimes they do. And 22% increase amounts to over 2.5 months rent which gives the landlord more than enough time to fill the property.

Advertisement