Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning an instrument later in life

Options
  • 17-09-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So I tried to learn the piano when I was a young lad, but the combination of a cranky auld one as a teacher and a uncommitted me meant it led to nowehere. I've always had a niggling feeling of lost opportunity, and have been thinking lately tht I'd like to set it right by learning to play some form of instrument.

The major issue, in my eyes, is my age. I'm 32. I don't know of anyone who took up an instrument for the first time at that age. Usually it's early teens. So I'm concerned that it might be too late. I don't want to be a maestro or anything, just enough to lash out a few tunes. I'd like to learn to play either the guitar or the piano. I suspect a guitar would be easier as can't envisage getting my hands on a piano too readily.

I'd appreciate comments and feedback on my thoughts. Any and all welcomed!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I would say go for it - absolutely mind-blowingly brilliant hobby.

Yeah the Carnegie Hall dreams are no longer viable but that is not the point. It is exploring a thing of beauty for yourself.

Guitar is great but there is an initial physical battle to gain control of the strings and toughen your fingers, not to mention memorize bizarre chord fingerings.

Piano is not very mobile but musical theory can be more 'visible' on a keyboard and you will come to grips quicker with harmony concepts than you might on a guitar.

I've played guitar for 20 years but would opt for piano if I had my way back again. You can also go mad and learn both in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

As a born-again violin student, I'd highly recommend it. Two prerequisites. A good teacher will keep you going when the initial enthusiasm wanes. Most importantly, though, is choosing an instrument you love to play. Don't go with something just because it's easier. The difficulty is part of the thrill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You are NEVER too old to learn anything. Go for it and enjoy the learning process. :cool:

As previously mentioned, pick an instrument that appeals to you, rather than whether it is easier to learn or not.

I agree with the advice of getting a teacher, either to begin with or to motivate you if/when you meet an impasse or become a bit disillusioned.

Very important is to be patient with yourself.

Best of luck with it. :)

Advertisement