Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making our home network safe for the kids

Options
  • 17-09-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

We want to make computer use safer for our kids - block as much inappropriate material as possible. We currently have two laptops, and I know we can probably set up a firewall on each one. But I want to make the whole network safe, so when friends or cousins come over with their iPads, that they cannot access inappropriate stuff through our wifi network.

Is it possible to do this?
    Do any of the providers offer a family-safe subscription, like sky broadband shield?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-familyshield/ may suit you, but it may depend on your wifi router's setup options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭wandererz

We want to make computer use safer for our kids - block as much inappropriate material as possible. We currently have two laptops, and I know we can probably set up a firewall on each one. But I want to make the whole network safe, so when friends or cousins come over with their iPads, that they cannot access inappropriate stuff through our wifi network.

Is it possible to do this?
    Do any of the providers offer a family-safe subscription, like sky broadband shield?

Any ideas?

You should push your service provider about this.
    Right now they don't see the justification based on the cost model. i.e. they mostly don't believe that people will actually pay for this service, rather expect it at no extra cost.

Back to your query though, another option is to use a gateway type device at home that has web filtering etc built into it.
    Located at the edge of your network (i.e. at the internet connection itself) it will filter all traffic.

Others can offer more advanced options such as a locked down wireless SSID for the kids etc and a more relaxed one for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

wandererz wrote: »

Back to your query though, another option is to use a gateway type device at home that has web filtering etc built into it.

Thanks for the response. can you give me an idea of what these gateway devices are? If I pop into PC World, I suppose I'll find out more?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Change your DNS server on your router to Norton DNS and choose the option with the adult material filter.

To find out how to change it google your routers model number and DNS. All you have to do it change 2 12 digit numbers. To find out the new numbers to use just google Norton DNS.

It will work across all devices connected to that router.

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    http://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/parental-controls/opendns-familyshield/ may suit you, but it may depend on your wifi router's setup options
    GarIT wrote: »
    Change your DNS server on your router to Norton DNS and choose the option with the adult material filter.

yep, either of these will work very well as long as you can change the DNS settings on your router itself. failing that you can also set them up on individual devices, but it can be a pain in the hole t o do if there's a bunch of them in the house.

depending on your ISP, they *may* actually have a similar "safe surf" option themselves, but you'll have to ask.

worst case scenario, you can buy your own router to use in place of (or inline with, depending on the ISP) your ISP's existing modem/router and configure everything to go through it to filter all your web traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have a look at this http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
    I used to use this when my kids were small

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Have a look at this http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
    I used to use this when my kids were small
    Thanks - not sure if this can be installed on the whole wifi network, which is important for when the cousins visit with their iPads...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks - not sure if this can be installed on the whole wifi network, which is important for when the cousins visit with their iPads...

You're right, there is no child protection software that will work on the whole network.

You need a router level solution.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Changing your DNS to Norton is probably the cheapest and easiest. You can change your DNS server to get around the block, but if someone's going to do that I wouldn't bother trying.

https://dns.norton.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement