Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm take over

Options
  • 17-09-2014 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I have recently been given the run of a 80ac dairy farm.
    It has two tidy dry sheds with slatted tank. 5 row herring bow parlour and okay passageway.
    The farm has not been farmed in five years and only a few dry stock on it now.
    The fields are of good land but need reseeding and drainage put in.
    The parlour milks but needs new railings, roof the whole lot really.
    I am young 21 and currently doing an apprenticeship nearby so lucky to be central.
    I havent been to ag college so no green cert. I am wondering if there is anyway i could get help by a grant or a young farmers subsidies.
    Can I do a part time agricultural course that will entitle me to a green cert?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Brendaa1 wrote: »
    Hi, I have recently been given the run of a 80ac dairy farm.
    It has two tidy dry sheds with slatted tank. 5 row herring bow parlour and okay passageway.
    The farm has not been farmed in five years and only a few dry stock on it now.
    The fields are of good land but need reseeding and drainage put in.
    The parlour milks but needs new railings, roof the whole lot really.
    I am young 21 and currently doing an apprenticeship nearby so lucky to be central.
    I havent been to ag college so no green cert. I am wondering if there is anyway i could get help by a grant or a young farmers subsidies.
    Can I do a part time agricultural course that will entitle me to a green cert?

Best of luck with the place.

I assume you are looking to go dairying? If you will need to set it up well so that you can work site and farm, you will also need some help. if plan on going farming full time I would advise you to finish your apprentice first. You may need the off farm income to help you pay for set up costs and will always be there for you.

See link below on courses.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/training/courses/dist_ed_green_cert.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My advice. Your 21, you are very young still, do not rush into anything yet, go get experience on as many other dairy farms as you can, and see how the business works, and if the lifestyle is ok for you (twice a day milking, everyday, alongside the pressure of running your own business) then think about starting dairying yourself. Meanwhile you should be able to get decent guaranteed money from renting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I agree Dairy seems the only gig at the moment.. But, get your feet underyourself before diving in..

The dairy industry is going nowhere and another year or two will only tell a true story rather than you missing any great experience.. If prices survive you'll have a better idea of what to be doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Finish your apprenticeship, get as much farming experience as you can and get your green cert. might be no harm to let post-quota dairy farming settle down before jumping on the bandwagon. You've loads of time to give farming a go if it's for you.

Advertisement