Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure Kegs (king keg, youngs keg)

Options
  • 17-09-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Guys,

I've been looking through different forums online for some guidance with pressure kegs, the 20Ltr King Keg, or Youngs Keg.
    I have a Youngs keg and ive used a few times, but i dont think i have the priming correct.
    I prime with the amount I calculated using the brewer's friend bottle priming calculator.
    But using this amount, when i pour from the tap there is a serious amout of foam.
    So obviously somethings not right.

After looking around online i saw some mention that for pressure kegs you should use about 1/2 or 2/3s of the priming sugar you would use for bottles.

Can someone verify if this is correct? Or what is the correct amount of priming for presure keg?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I use about half in the keg as opposed to the amount I use for bottles.
    I learned this the hard way myself.

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i use 80g of sugar in the pressure barrel. first few are foamy so i fire it into a big jug so it can settle out.. waste not want not

I only use about 30g, enough to carbonate it and pour the first few drinks fine but be sure to keep the gas levels topped up or you'll lose the carbonation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Excuse a question from a numpty :o

So you're priming kegs with sugar instead of using CO2?

How long is the beer good for doing that?

Perhaps someone would correct or confirm my amassed wisdom at this early point in my brewing career.
    • That the €40-€60 plastic kegs are not so great
    • They tend to leak at the lid or tap
    • Eventually most people end up with Cornys and CO2 cylinders and regulators and, and, and ....
    I'm only on my third brew but I'm already starting to realise that life is too short for bottling.

But all of that kit would be a dealbreaker - I imagine me and my smelly old dog having to move into the barn :(

Excuse a question from a numpty :o

So you're priming kegs with sugar instead of using CO2?
    Yes, you prime them first the same as with a bottle but less sugar is needed due to the volume, once you start using the beer you keep the pressure topped up with co2 from a small cartridge or bottle, there are a couple of types.

How long is the beer good for doing that?
    I've kept it for months with no problems.

Perhaps someone would correct or confirm my amassed wisdom at this early point in my brewing career.
    • That the €40-€60 plastic kegs are not so great. Not true, I find them very good.
    • They tend to leak at the lid or tap. Not true, I've never had one leak.
    • Eventually most people end up with Cornys and CO2 cylinders and regulators and, and, and .... Not all the time but normally yes.
    I'm only on my third brew but I'm already starting to realise that life is too short for bottling.

But all of that kit would be a dealbreaker - I imagine me and my smelly old dog having to move into the barn :(

Get yourself a king keg with a top tap.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bogwoppit that was really useful.

The main drawback of these kegs is that they don't fit in a fridge so it's hard to get them cool.
    For that reason I only use them during the winter when my hallway is feckin freezing!

Bw

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    The main drawback of these kegs is that they don't fit in a fridge so it's hard to get them cool.
    For that reason I only use them during the winter when my hallway is feckin freezing!

Bw

Right but if you like (as I do) a warmish bitter as opposed to the blondies and pilsners, should be grand?

Right but if you like (as I do) a warmish bitter as opposed to the blondies and pilsners, should be grand?

Perfect, just keep it it as cool a place as you can find.

Make sure you start your next batch as soon as you fill it, it doesn't last long in the keg cos its so easy just to pour yourself a sneaky little one, then a fourth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Yep and great for stouts and porter too. With a couple of friends you can get through one fast and you can serve it like a cask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

Thanks for the advice lads.
    I'll knock back on the sugar next time!

Just to note i am using the Co2 bulbs, but theyre just for helping to push out the booze rather than carbonate it.
    If im correct i dont think the plastic kegs can be used for force carbonation, thats the Corny keg territory.

neoanto wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads.
    I'll knock back on the sugar next time!

Just to note i am using the Co2 bulbs, but theyre just for helping to push out the booze rather than carbonate it.
    If im correct i dont think the plastic kegs can be used for force carbonation, thats the Corny keg territory.

Sorry Neoanto, I hijacked your thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

No problem, we both got our questions answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

I use 100g.

Temperature makes a difference to, shooting out of the barrel over the Summer almost down to the last drop. Once Winter comes I can only get a pint or two out before I need to add CO2.

Still you get a fizzier pint.

Advertisement