Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where exactly is 'New' Mervue

Options
  • 17-09-2014 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where new mervue actually is. Which roads are in it or what is the boundary roads?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

gufc21 wrote: »
    Just wondering where new mervue actually is. Which roads are in it or what is the boundary roads?

Roughly:

Western Boundary - Football pitches behind Connacht Hotel
    Eastern Boundary - Ballybane Road
    Southern boundary - Old Dublin Road/Glenina
    Northern Boundary - Barry Avenue/McHugh Avenue (like)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not sure that there are official boundaries.

But my best guess (blow-in and all) from feedback I've had here is roughly the area covered by this map: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2011/08/new-mervue-neighbourhood-map.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Just wondering where new mervue actually is.
    Don't know why, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling hearing people referring to "New" Mervue, even though the designation must be well over 50 years old (anyone know?).

Mind you, Edinburgh still refers to "New Town" and that was built between 1765 and 1850!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

There is (or at least was, in my time) no official designations of 'New' or 'Old' Mervue - just Mervue

The first houses in Old Mervue were ready for occupation in 1955 (I believe they were in Pearse Avenue). In January 1963 the Town Clerk proposed 100 new houses be built "... in the Mervue area". The site chosen was close to the Dublin Road and the streets were to be named after old time Nationalists as in Old Mervue. Can't remember exactly when they were actually built, but Micheal Collins Road was open, and the houses were there when the church in Mervue opened in August 1968.

While GalwayCyclist has the (unofficial) boundaries correct, I'm afraid your assertion that "... the designation must be well over 50 years old" is incorrect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Roughly speaking, if the road/ave is named after somebody attached to the 1916 rising or the later war of independence, then it's Old Mervue.

"New" Mervue started during the troubles, so they stopped the patriotic naming convention, instead "celebrating" people of some cultural significance other than a period that had a direct link to the troubles of the time. Hence we have the likes of Walter Macken road, named after the Galway born author. Similarly when Renmore was built they named many the various estates after various flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

cytop wrote: »
    There is (or at least was, in my time) no official designations of 'New' or 'Old' Mervue - just Mervue

The first houses in Old Mervue were ready for occupation in 1955 (I believe they were in Pearse Avenue). In January 1963 the Town Clerk proposed 100 new houses be built "... in the Mervue area". The site chosen was close to the Dublin Road and the streets were to be named after old time Nationalists as in Old Mervue. Can't remember exactly when they were actually built, but Micheal Collins Road was open, and the houses were there when the church in Mervue opened in August 1968.

While GalwayCyclist has the (unofficial) boundaries correct, I'm afraid your assertion that "... the designation must be well over 50 years old" is incorrect :)
    Thanks for the information and I'll change my assertion to "the designation must be over 45 years old". Happy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

...Happy?

Very - just making me think about that brought back some memories like playing in the flats opposite the church while they were being built and the 'boating pond' between the church and what was Crown Controls. There was a large depression there that filled with water in the Winter, add some old lumber or maybe a pallet or two from the factory and some very rickety rafts were built...

Advertisement