Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avent bottle teats

Options
  • 17-09-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

I know there was a thread before about teats but cant locate it (on phone).
    Anyway L (6months) is on avent bottles. Was on size 2 from birth then moved up them fast. He's a gussler. He's been on the size 4 for about 2 months now and for the past week he has started collapsing the teat when drinking it and drinking less as he is getting fed up.
    As far as i know 4 is the fastest but there is a vari flow. Does anyone know if this is faster than 4.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

As far as I know the collapsing just means they have gone too soft from using so much. I think they actually recommend you replace all your teats every month / 6 weeks?? I've only replaced twice though. And my fella is 7 months. I'm too cheap!

I'd suggest just getting some new ones in size 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Thanks for that dori. Im not too sure tbh. every time he has gone through a phase of drinking less and collapsing the teat we've upped the teat size and he's started drinking more.
    When it started happening the first time i googled loads and it all came back with the same thing "sucking too hard, up the teat size".

I rang a local pharmacy with a nursery department and they said 4 is the fastest on avent and vari would probably be slower. although its not recommended she said im probably best off putting a pin hole in it. Ive given that a go so hope for the best. she said there are bottles that are faster flowing i could buy but i refuse to go buying a new set of bottles and them more teats . Hopefully pin holes work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

He might be ready for sippy cup succee? My lady is doing the same on advent size 4, i think she is actually getting close to dropping the bottles entirely. She gets very frustrated and angry with them. Only takes 3 x 6oz bottles at the moment, but will take a sippy cup. The non-spill slower one.

Just a thought before you start buying more stuff- have you started weaning yet? That may slow his gussling if he's maybe not as starving for them? Maybe...

Also you can tell if the teats are gone soft if they collapse under light touch. New ones don't collapse in your fingers say when youtube are washing them.

Sippy cups a good idea too!

There's a great soft tipped sippy cup in Aldi tomorrow. By nuby. I payed 6 euro for it on amazon and its about 3.50 I think in aldi

He takes sippy cup of water no probs pwurple at meal times (TT free flow). but still LOVES his bottles. He's on 4 bottles at the moment. was 8oz each but now leaving 1-2oz each time. he's still not sleeping the night without a dream feed either. (still doesnt sleep the night sometimes even with it).

• Advertisement

Cross posts there Dori.

I have that nuby one. havent tried it yet. as i mentioned he uses the TT with water at meals. Might try put the milk in the cup.

Weaning is no issue he's on 5 spoon feeds.

EG

7am bottle
    8am 1 weetabix
    10am fruit puree and yogurt
    12am bottle
    2pm lunch
    5pm bottle
    6pm dinner
    7pm baby cereal / bed
    10pm Dream feed bottle.

He does have a funny routine but it works (most of the time).

Pwurple whats your lil ones routine like. any suggestions for lunch ideas. Dinner he just has what we are having mashed up but im stumped for lunch most days. Ive given him scramble egg, pancakes (robbed that from you) , toast, soup. but just running out of ideas. when he is only getting finger type food (pancake etc) he doesnt eat alot and then he's hungry.
    I still have a supply of puree veg frozen im trying to use up so he gets that for lunch sometimes so essentially ends up having 2 dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pretty similar to you there succee.

7am bottle
    8am porridge
    10ish creche give her a small yoghurt and mashed fruit
    12 ish is mashed veg and something in her hand like bread crust, rice cake, cracker
    2ish bottle / sippy cup (she won't take bottle from them in creche)
    6pm dinner, which is mashed up whatever we are having. Pasta with tomato and tuna tonight.

Bedtime bottle at 7:30

I haven't tried scrambled egg yet, that's a good idea.

Ah very similar all right. We'll see how the pin holes go at 10 tonight anyway. but might try sippy cup tomorrow. Does your LO drink the full 6oz from sippy cup. My little girl was a demon for bottles. was completely off them by 6 months. just drank her milk from cup. but never more than 2/3oz at a time so we were giving it to her ALL DAY to try get enough in to her. she was great with food but so skinny that phn was always at me to give her more. I vowed not to stress as much this time but now having the opposite problem. ha. they are like chalk and cheese.

I think so young his main source of nutrition is still the bottles. Food is really just for tasting / fun. My fella is a savage and on 4 8oz bottles a day ( one every 4 hours. He also gets 3 meals too. If I give too much breakfast hell only take 6. And then he's ravenous for the next one.

If he's refusing bottles I'd be inclined to say he's full. He does seem to be getting an awful lot of food for a 6 month old. We started weaning at 5 months because our fella was taking 9 oz bottles 5 times a day of the hungry baby stuff.

Also most babies don't sleep through the night at 6 months or even a year. Our fella wakes about 4 times a night on a good night. He's not hungry, just wants reassurance that we are still there I think.

I'd maybe look into changing your schedule a bit so he's getting smaller bottles more often maybe? So he's not starving for them, and he's not frustrated and needing more?

Every baby is different tho hope it sorts itself out x

Oh Dori our routine has been changed that many times to find something that suits and this seem to be the best one. He doesnt be crying or getting overly frustrated just sucks so hard on it.
    Ive tried that many things but he's just been a hungry baby. Ive posted that many times about the amount he's been having. He was drinking 40oz at 3-4 months. and on a number of occasions emptied a 9oz bottle and needed it topped up.
    (hungrier milk didnt work for us it just constipated him)

• Advertisement

Oh I know! I'm trying to adjust our routine a the mo cos fella has started napping for 2 hrs instead of his usual one at a time. And that just messes up his feeds every 2 hours cos he sleeps through them, but it's just creating huge mess here! I have him currently staring at me with no intention of going to sleep!

Also get loads of 'well fed' baby comments cos he's 23 lbs! I know he's tubby, but es also very long and in 9-12 mth baby grows.

You can just never get it right!

My guy was surprisingly only 16 lbs when he was weighed about 2 weeks ago. But also very long . In 9.-12 month a while but they are becomming ankle ticklers now.
    Oh its mad these routines. The minute you think you have it cracked they change.
    Since no 1 ive taken on a bit of a go with the flow attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

When the teats collapse they are sucking too hard, not because they have gone soft. I have been using the same teats in my LO's bottle for nearly a year now and they havnt gone soft! I should really replace them but he is nearly off the bottles and I have the more expensive type of avent bottles and the replacement teats are like 11 euro a pack! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That happens to us when the air valve is blocked.
    The other reason it happens is if baby is sucking too hard for the teat.
    I changed the teats for the next child or if they got damaged and that was it:)

Sam mcCauleys have Avent teats on offer.

I would go with vari flow or size 3 teats.

Moonbeam Its 4 he is on and he was doing it. thankfully the hole punching seems to have worked. A few spluters for the first few mouthfulls (as happened every time i upped the teat size) but he's grand after that. I was going to try vari flow but lady in nursery department told me that 4 is faster than vari.
    Seems problem solved for now but he is only 6 months so another 6 months of bottles. I can see us needing to replace again at some stage anyway. Or just take the top off and let him drink it that way :D

Advertisement