Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Spider is this?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I found this spider in the Hallway in my house, Its massive, Does anyone know what it is or if they are harmless?
    Just to give you an idea of size perspective, Thats a pint glass he's in,
    I seen some very big ones in the house the last few weeks but this guy must be hitting the Gym, He's Huge.
    Any idea's?

Spider_zpscf6a9353.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

In this house that is known as a giant nope, originating from a crevice in the depths of some dusty corner of Hell.

It then becomes known as a homeless evicted tenant :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

.Kovu. wrote: »
    It then becomes known as a homeless evicted tenant :D

In fairness, he probably wouldn't pay his rent anyway!

OP, it looks like Tegenaria gigantea, a common-or-garden house spider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That's a great shot OP. I have never noticed yellow markings on the body of a tengenaria (large house spider) before - and hes very alert looking. It could make me think twice...likelihood it's just a house spider coming out of hiding looking for a mate - slim possibility it fell out of some recently purchased tropical fruit and is now plotting how to upturn that pint glass and his escape...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Looks like my Arthur. Caught him on arthur's day, popped him in a big lunchbox and brought him home on the train and fed him earwigs before releasing him to live a happy life in the shed. :D Quite interesting watching them hunt insects.

Advertisement