Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite voice performances in gaming

Options
  • 17-09-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Been listening to a lot of vocal performances and interviews with voice actors lately, anyone got their favourites? Doesn't matter if they have one scene or are a main playable character, just those voices that stuck with you.
    I'll get the most obvious one out of the way first:

Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson- The Last Of Us

Both give wonderful performances and play off each other brilliantly, I enjoyed playing TLOU the most when it was just getting around the levels listening to Joel and Ellie's conversations and banter.

Tom Kane- Arkham Asylum

Loved listening to the audio tapes of Amadeus Arkham as you progress through the game, Kane also played Jim Gordon and Warden Quincy Sharp, his haunting vocals as the founder of Arkham Asylum is his best in the game though. He also plays Yoda in the Clone Wars, narrated Fat Princess and played Magneto in various forms, talented guy.

Tara Strong- Arkham City

Couldn't imagine anyone else being Harley Quinn, her line delivery is brilliant and even when I read the comics I hear her "Mistah J!" pronounciation in my head.

Pik Sen Lim- Dark Souls

The narrator for the opening (and fantastic) cinematic, solemn, creepy and suits the atmosphere of the game perfectly.

Matt Morgan- Dark Souls

The Crestfallen Warrior is the first person you meet in Firelink Shrine, he seems to be helpful but sinister as well. Reprises his role in Dark Souls 2. I could list out nearly every performer in Dark Souls, their solemn line delivery suits the world brilliantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Nolan North as every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nolan North as every one.

I was surprised to hear him play The Penguin in Arkham City, not sure why he had a cockney accent but it kinda worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nice thread idea

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

David hayter solid snake

And

Cam Clarke - liquid snake

There the only that come to mind being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Steve Merchant in Portal 2: maybe the first videogame character to make me laugh.

• Advertisement

Steve Merchant in Portal 2: maybe the first videogame character to make me laugh.

What about Glados? She's hilarious in the first game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Really liked Michael Mando who did Vaas in Far Cry 3.He really stole the show in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Weiss (Liam O'Brien) in Nier

Can't believe I forgot Steven Ogg as Trevor in GTAV, the scene where he has to bring the mob bosses wife back was fcuking hilarious. He's a really nice guy in real life too I met him recently.

Really liked Michael Mando who did Vaas in Far Cry 3.He really stole the show in that game.

He wasn't even a character until Mando came in to audition for the developers, they wrote Vaas just for him and made him the poster boy of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭Patser

Michael Beattie as Mordin Solus in Mass Effect 2 , if only for the Salarian version of Pirates of Penzance.

Also Liam Neeson as your Dad in Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

krudler wrote: »
    Tara Strong- Arkham City

Couldn't imagine anyone else being Harley Quinn

Blasphemy! Arleen Sorkin is the only Harley!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

I thought Colin McFarlane played commander Horton very well in G-Police on the PS1

Slater had a good voice too.

What did people make of Troy Baker's Joker? he does a very good Mark Hamill impersonation but it would have been cool to see him do a completely different take on it. John DiMaggio played The Joker in Under The Red Hood and made it more his own, even if it did veer into Bender-esque at times:

Speaking of DiMaggio, he was great as Marcus in Gears of War.

I really like Troy Baker, didn't agree with them recasting James in Silent Hill 2 for the HD versions but that's not exactly his issue

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

krudler wrote: »
    He wasn't even a character until Mando came in to audition for the developers, they wrote Vaas just for him and made him the poster boy of the game.

Fair ****s to him and fair ****s to Ubisoft ( this time ) for finding him. He alone makes FarCry 3 like 90% more attractive. The new fella in FarCry 4 has some job on his hands to top that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You will suffer, you will all suffer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0sOGVSAP4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Surprised Mark Hamill hasn't been mentioned as well. He's amazing as the Joker. Really captures the menace of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Patser wrote: »
    Michael Beattie as Mordin Solus in Mass Effect 2 , if only for the Salarian version of Pirates of Penzance.

http://youtube.com/?client=mv-h3g-ie&safesearch=always&gl=IE&hl=

Also Liam Neeson as your Dad in Fallout 3.

Bugger on phone can't post YouTube links if some one can.

William Salyers, who took over the voice for ME3, did a great job too. Delivering one of the series best lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,752 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Troy Baker is so damn impressive in his voice acting, he's the new Nolan North, basically playing everyone. Also he really did a top notch Joker, on par with Hamill.

Melissa Hutchison & Dave Fennoy as Clem and Lee were fantastic in The Walking Dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Karl Hanover who plays the voice of Atlas in BioShock.

GTA 5's 3 lead characters are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'd pick out Jennifer Hale as Naomi and David Hayter in the MGS series as noteworthy.
    Jennifer Hale in Mass Effect

For fun some improv from the MGS cast, they've clearly edited around the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

D.C Douglas, as Wesker in RE5.

Utter comedy.

Dave Fennoy as Lee and Melissa Hutchinson as Clem in the Walking Dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Surprised Mark Hamill hasn't been mentioned as well. He's amazing as the Joker.

I associate him more with the animated series.

I thought Nolan Norths best performance was in Alpha Protocol. He's got such range but is stuck playing Nathan drake and typecast a lot.

I'm always impressed with Laura Bailey but thought she was amazing as Kaine in Nier. Herself and Liam O'Brian as Weiss had great chemistry.

Tara Strong is like the female version of Troy Baker, in everything but always puts on a great performance.

I was very impressed with Hedy Burress in Valkyria Chronicles. Great nuanced performance and she really belts out the song during the funeral scene, the Japanese actress in comparison was replaced for the song.

I loved Stephen Russell as Garrett in Thief, far better than the new voice actor who lacks his subtlety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kane

has to be Joe Kucan as Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Joe Kucan as Kane is definitely one of the best, especially after you hear how he sounds normally.

No mention of Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher? Michael Ironside IS Sam Fisher. :D

Mike Patton as The Darkness has got to be up there, the guy has phenomenal vocal range anyways and he just sounded like evil incarnate in those games, granted some post production work was added but it nearly always is in voiceover to give voices echos or deeper basslines or whatever.

Like retr0gamer mentioned Mark Hamill as more associated with the series instead of the game, even though I think Arkham City is probably his best Joker performance, especially making Joker sound like he was about to hack up a lung. Same goes for Kevin Conroy, he is the voice of Batman I hear in my head reading the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Michael Bell, Tony Jay, Simon Templeman and pretty much every voice actor in the Soul Reaver series. Surprised nobody has mentioned this in the first page :eek:

Oh and Diablo in Diablo 3. TEERRRRORRRRRRRR

Steve Richie as Shao Kahn, prefer the MK2 voice to the newer ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tony Jay deserves more love.

Advertisement