Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite voice performances in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Lee - from the Walking Dead

Got it right in the feels in Season 2 Ep 5 near the end

The actress for Clem was also brilliant, as most of the cast over both seasons have been.
    Especially Michael Madsen in Season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sarky wrote: »
    Tony Jay deserves more love.

He was a big loss to voice acting, crazy talented guy, played a fantastic villain in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Also has one of, if not the best villain song in Disney history, not often you hear about the bad guy in a kids film singing about wanting to ride the heroine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Surprised Mark Hamill hasn't been mentioned as well. He's amazing as the Joker. Really captures the menace of the character.
    It's easily the best voiceover in a game ever. Should have got an Oscar for it (if that was possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

JK Simmons was enjoyable in Portal 2.

Have a particular love for Nolan North.
    His performance as David in TLoU was really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Forgot about JK Simmons. Fantastic performance.

One I haven't seen mentioned; Rob Wiethoff, who did the voice and motion capture for John Marston in Red Dead Redemption. Unbelievably great performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Patrick Stewart in the the elder scrolls oblivion was excellent

And for for fun the entire cast of resident evil 1 on PlayStation ha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Lets give a shout out to Steve Blum too, he's done a vast amount of games work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Blum#Video_games

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are the definitive Batman and Joker for me across all media. I spied a clip before with Hamill talking about the different laughs he put together for the Joker depending on his mood etc and it was all him, no director asked him to do it, he just knew that he was playing The Joker, you can't be messing around :)

The Voice Acting gig seems to be a pretty closed shop as you always see the same names turning up in things working alongside one another. I particularly loved how the Saints Row guys got Nolan North in to do voice work as himself because theirs was the only game that year that he hadn't been involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked Andy Serkis and Lindsey Shaw in Enslaved (although a lot of that is down to the mo-cap performance rather than voices alone).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Steve Merchant in Portal 2: maybe the first videogame character to make me laugh.
    Really liked Michael Mando who did Vaas in Far Cry 3.He really stole the show in that game.
    krudler wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot Steven Ogg as Trevor in GTAV, the scene where he has to bring the mob bosses wife back was fcuking hilarious. He's a really nice guy in real life too I met him recently.
    Patser wrote: »
    Michael Beattie as Mordin Solus in Mass Effect 2 , if only for the Salarian version of Pirates of Penzance.
    Fescue wrote: »
    Karl Hanover who plays the voice of Atlas in BioShock.
    Kane

has to be Joe Kucan as Kane
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lee - from the Walking Dead

All of these are just great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

any love out there for Mr Torgue from Borderlands 2...one of my favourite DLC of all time was Mr Torgues Campaign of Carnage and one of the main reasons for that was Mr Torgue himself aka Chris Rager (obv had to google that!)

Funny as fvck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KM7hLzhAdD8

Stephen Merchant was awesome in Portal 2 too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Who will ever forget Andrew Connolly, who played Paddy Bishop in Fair City, playing Captain Donnelly in L.A. Noire?

That took me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hococop wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart in the the elder scrolls oblivion was excellent

And for for fun the entire cast of resident evil 1 on PlayStation ha

He was in Castlevania too. Heh, deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GK1001 wrote: »
    any love out there for Mr Torgue from Borderlands 2...one of my favourite DLC of all time was Mr Torgues Campaign of Carnage and one of the main reasons for that was Mr Torgue himself aka Chris Rager (obv had to google that!)

Funny as fvck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KM7hLzhAdD8

Gotta give props to David Eddings who does Claptrap's voice too. Never played Borderlands 1. But when Claptrap says "Well done, minion! Your ability to walk short distances without dying will be Handsome Jack's downfall!", I knew I was going to like Borderlands 2 :D

Penn wrote: »
    Gotta give props to David Eddings who does Claptrap's voice too. Never played Borderlands 1. But when Claptrap says "Well done, minion! Your ability to walk short distances without dying will be Handsome Jack's downfall!", I knew I was going to like Borderlands 2 :D
    Ah yeah..that game is full of brilliantly funny dialogue from the cast...but Torgue stands out for me as the best...that Claptrap line is a brilliant early sign of how good it's gonna be though, totally agree:D

I could do a separate thread on this now that I think of it...that's the last half hour of work fvcked so!

the dude who does Bastion is pretty frickin good too (...googles...and...Logan Cunningham)
    definitely a huge part of what made that game so enjoyable and indeed original I dare say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Always liked Michael Wincott's voice, his performance as Death in Darksiders 2 was superb.

Pretty much all the Mass Effect trilogy VAs would be up there, could probably more quickly say which major characters I didn't like than I did (Kaiden Whinge-bag Onasi for one). Might start an argument over this but Mark Meer will always be the better Sheppard over Hale IMO.

Oh and on that note: Sovereign >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harbinger.

Would also agree with Tony Jay, his voice defined evil for me when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Should have been mentioned already....James McCaffrey as Max Payne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Jesus, how could I forget.

Billy Murray as Captain Price and Kevin McKidd as Soap.

For all the stick they get, IW wrote a great single player story.

Major Spoilers within COD: Mw 1, 2 and 3

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Jesus, how could I forget.

Billy Murray as Captain Price and Kevin McKidd as Soap.

For all the stick they get, IW wrote a great single player story.

Major Spoilers within COD: Mw 1, 2 and 3

This is my favourite cutscene from MW2, love the cut from the radio chatter to the guy screaming down his mic about the invasion going on. Keith David is good as Captain Foley too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

15282188795_f397f90bc0_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How did I forget Admiral Bosch (Ronny Cox) from Freespace 2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Steve Merchant in Portal 2: maybe the first videogame character to make me laugh.

It was great, I loved J.K. Simmons as Cave Johnson too.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The voice acting in Final Fantasy XII was pretty decent, makes it one of the less cringey ones to replay now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Pac1Man wrote: »
    15282188795_f397f90bc0_o.jpg

Is that an official promotional shot!? I've never seen it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Some others that came into my mind;

Roger Craig Smith - Ezio(Assassin Creed)
    Courtnee Draper - Elizabeth(Bioshock Infinite)
    Armin Shimmerman - Andrew Ryan(Bioshock)
    Lori Alan - The Boss(MGS3)
    Rob Wiethoff - John Marston(Red Dead Redemption)

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Some others that came into my mind;

Roger Craig Smith - Ezio(Assassin Creed)
    Armin Shimmerman - Andrew Ryan(Bioshock)
    Lori Alan - The Boss(MGS3)
    Rob Wiethoff - John Marston(Red Dead Redemption)

All great choices, Andrew Ryan's monologue in the opening scene of Bioshock is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Most of my favourites already said - Mark Hammill, Dave Fennoy, Nolan North, Glados

I do also have a soft spot for Jen Taylor as Cortana

and Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Moneymaker wrote: »

I was on a panel about sexism in nerd culture with Courtnee at Eirtakon last year, she's a lovely lady.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I was on a panel about sexism in nerd culture with Courtnee at Eirtakon last year, she's a lovely lady.

Sounds like an interesting topic, was it recorded?

The voice acting thing is something I'm trying to get into at the moment, mostly classes and open mic nights, met a few casting directors etc. Lots more opportunity over here with places like Ubisoft Montreal and the New York companies on the same coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ripperman wrote: »
    Is that an official promotional shot!? I've never seen it before!

No it's a fan mash-up using Liotta's head. Still cool though.

Advertisement