Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education repeating a year ?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was in the dole office today I asked them could I continue getting back to education allowance for this year, they said I couldnt get it again because I have been on it for 4 years.

I told them that I was not able to attend college for the past year because I was very sick but they didnt want to listen.

My question is, is it possible to get Back to Education allowance to repeat a year due to sickness ?

Also is 4 years the longest you can get Back to Education ? I thought you could get it up to a masters degree.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You may get it to repeat a whole year but did you come off BTEA when you left the course due to illness? If you didn't notify them that might be the problem.

Section from BTEA operation guidelines on Repeat years: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.10
    1.14.7 Repeat years:

BTEA participants who have to repeat a year of their course will continue to be paid the allowance for the repeat year. This is provided that the BTEA participant is registered and attending as a FULL-TIME student for the repeat year. Repeat students who register as external students, exam only students or part-time students for their repeat year are not eligible for the allowance. A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their current course of study on the basis of exam failure and/or exceptional circumstances,evidence of such to be provided. eg due to illness, pregnancy, force majeure reasons. It should be noted that single semesters of a course is not covered under BTEA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clark2014

I didnt tell the dole office about it but I did tell the college I was ill.

I had to repeat the last 2 years due to illness.

My Doctor can vouch for the fact that I was very ill over the last 2 years.

Does this mean I cant go back to college after 4 years ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Clark2014 wrote: »
    I didnt tell the dole office about it but I did tell the college I was ill.

I had to repeat the last 2 years due to illness.

My Doctor can vouch for the fact that I was very ill over the last 2 years.

Does this mean I cant go back to college after 4 years ?

You only get one additional year.

Bepolite wrote: »
    You only get one additional year.

Ok thanks. Looks like I've used up my 4 years .

Is the Back to Education allowance a once in lifetime thing ? ie I cant do it again in 10 years time.

Ok thanks. Looks like I've used up my 4 years .

Is the Back to Education allowance a once in lifetime thing ? ie I cant do it again in 10 years time.

I presume that once you've met the criteria again (on the dole for a year) you could reapply. I could be wrong in that assumption.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if I come off the dole and go back to college full time. Would I be entitled to a grant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

you've basically admitted to fraud in this thread OP. now you're looking for more.

RossieMan wrote: »
    you've basically admitted to fraud in this thread OP. now you're looking for more.

What are you talking about ?

Can anyone tell me if I come off the dole and go back to college full time. Would I be entitled to a grant ?

If you meet the income criteria then I don't see why not, again I'm not an expert on these things.

you didn't tell the dole office you weren't attending college for 2 years while still receiving BTEA. if that's not fraud, I don't know what is.

• Advertisement

you didn't tell the dole office you weren't attending college for 2 years while still receiving BTEA. if that's not fraud, I don't know what is.

How is it fraud ? it was not my fault I was sick.

I was still trying to keep up with college work and I told the college I was sick.

did you go to college? did you sit the exams?

did you go to college? did you sit the exams?

Yes I sat exams but I missed most of the year.

Advertisement