Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vevila- Irish name?

• 17-09-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I heard the name Vevila a few months ago and fell in love with it- especially when I found out it means harmony (I think). Also that it's Irish. I've been wanting to give myself an Irish name and thought that was perfect!

Here's the issue though, there's only bh in Irish pronounced as v and every Irish person I know give me a confused look when I tell them Vevila is meant to be an Irish name- it says so all over the internet.

So I was wondering if there's any Irish experts out there who could help with a book/ history for this name. I really really love it and was considering a deed poll next year- depending on if I can confirm that it's Irish and know the meaning too

Thanks for your help

Julie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's not an Irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 julieok

Aard wrote: »
    It's not an Irish name.

Ok thanks....I was hoping for a bit more info than that though...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

First website:
    woman with a melodious voice

Second website:
    In Irish the meaning of the name Vevila is: Harmony.

Third website:
    the name is of the meaning 'melodious voice'.

Fourth website:
    The meaning of Vevila is "melodious voice".

Fifth website:
    In Irish the name Vevila means- harmony

None of the websites look like they should be taken as gospel. There's a lot of silliness on them. All kinds of rubbish about "people with this name are often strong, determined, blah blah blah" and the "soul" of the name. Very little to show where they came up with their guess at the origin or usage of the name.

If I had to guess, I'd say vevila could be a corruption of the term "an bhéil bhinn", or "of the sweet mouth". "Béal binn" meaning sweet/melodious voice/mouth.
    I've only heard the term used in song and never as a name.

Advertisement