Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books for a 3 month old

Options
  • 17-09-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

what should i buy?? or is it a case of it doesn't matter what you read just read it in the right tone of voice (i remember this from 3 men and a baby!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Something very colourful and perhaps pop outs or other features like a small mirror or different textures. To be honest, it doesn't really matter what the book is actually about - just something that you can read to the child and they can interact at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i was going to buy some books on amazon but some of them might be for older kids, like 1 year olds! it doesnt really say if they are for kids as young as mine

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never heard of a book for a 3 month old child.
    Is this a joke?
    Surely a 3 month child would not have the comprehension to understand what was being read. Sounds crazy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We've read to our children from the day they were born. It's part of how they learn to understand you and learn to speak, as well as being great for bonding and part of establishing a great bedtime routine.

Our six month old seems to like board books at the moment, and anything that rhymes.

For your own sanity, i wouldn't get into the longer ones for a while (snail and the whale is one that is too long.)

Some childrens books that are nice for grown ups to read too (nice illustrations etc) are below:

The Boss Baby
    Brown Rabbit in the city - Natalie Russell
    oh no George
    A Bit Lost

All the gruffalo range... Superworm, cave baby, room on the broom, stickman will be great when the baby is a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The 'that's not my...' Series is good cos they have different textures on each page for them to touch. Those 'words' books are good too, like colours, animals etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

something that's waterproof I would imagine.

RossieMan wrote: »
    something that's waterproof I would imagine.

Because OP doesn't have a nappy on the child?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we got a load of little books in deals. he loves chewing them and flinging them around the room. We read and point things out to him but he loves the chewing part the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

the above post has basically answered why I said waterproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I think at 3 months, they love books in black and white. I bought a book for my daughter with black and white pictures. She loved it at the time. Read to your child every day, it is the best thing to develop their language and vocabulary. You can never start reading too young :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They might not understand the concept of reading at that age but hearing you say the words and seeing the associated pictures is great for language development. Also it doesn't do them any harm to get used to handling books and turning the pages. At that age we had had some of these books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-Very-First-Book-Faces/dp/0333994175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410996325&sr=8-1&keywords=Baby+books

They are soft material and have Velcro fasteners so that they can be attached to a buggy or bouncer. My daughter really liked the black and white patterns and would look at them for ages.

As she got older 6 months+ we moved onto board books with different textures for her to feel. She is 2 now and loves her bedtime stories and often sits and 'reads, them herself. She knows all the words to most of them so you could be fooled into thinking she actually is reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Janet and Alan Alhberg's books are fantastic. Peepo! and Baby Catalogue are great for under 1. Each Peach Pear Plum is lovely too. I like the way the houses are all messy and there's lots in the illustrations to look at.

When my eldest was a wee baby like yours, OP, I used to just read to him out of whatever I was reading myself. My latest (fourth) gets included in story time with the others and it's surprising how much he likes it. We're doing Narnia at the moment. I think it's a given that little babies just love the sound of your voice.

I don't think that reading to them has as much impact on speech development as contingent responding (talking to them when they make noises as in modelling turn taking in conversation) but it's a great habit to get into and will set them up for a love of books later on. Once their capacity for language has developed reading to them helps broaden vocabulary as well as their cognitive development.

Oh I almost forgot, visually I think Orla Kiely's baby books are beautiful.

I thought of another few as well.

A long piece of string - William Wondriska ... not a lot of words in this one, the child follows the piece of string. Lovely though.

Henri's Walk to Paris This one is beautiful looking, a book for arty parents maybe?

Press Here Such a simple book, ridiculously engrossing for babies. Up there with Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the BUS in fun-ness (pigeon one is for when they can talk though).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Never heard of a book for a 3 month old child.
    Is this a joke?
    Surely a 3 month child would not have the comprehension to understand what was being read. Sounds crazy tbh.

we're not talking about books on nuclear physics, babies love books and a baby not getting any is missing out, even at 3 months.

this one is great (lots of tactile feedback, rustling, squeaking etc.) and can be clipped to a pram, highchair or buggy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamaze-LC27126-Classic-Discovery-Book/dp/B002WN2AKG/

or something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-First-Touchy-feely-Usborne-Touchy/dp/1409508501/

or the more traditional: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eric-Carles-Very-Special-Record/dp/0141383259/

and maybe a 'pee-po' book with a mirror? :Dhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-Very-First-Book-Faces/dp/0333994175/

amazon have a heap of popular kids books in several types of binding including the 'board book' format ones so they can't be ripped or chewed easily (which they will), and you'll get a great idea of what's good by just checking out the popular ones of that type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I got books that have big, colourful pictures in them, where there are different materials/textures on the different pictures (eg there is "wool" on the sheep, sort of knobbly skin on the orange etc). He loved that!
    I also got books of nursery rhymes that I could read to him.
    Ok he didn't "understand" but he like the rhythm/repetition of the rhymes!
    Also fabric books are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I got books that have big, colourful pictures in them, where there are different materials/textures on the different pictures (eg there is "wool" on the sheep, sort of knobbly skin on the orange etc). He loved that!
    those sound just like the "that's not my" books that were mentioned earlier in the thread, they are great. anything with a bit of tactile feedback is always good, babies are all about touching and feeling things to help them to learn about their environment and their own bodies, feelings and sensations.

they are a sponge and anything you can give them to help them soak up experiences will help them grow and learn. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Bubba Merkin really enjoys nursery rhymes. Our house is wall to ceiling books and we've got Peter Rabbit and Mr.Men collections just bursting to be read but at eight weeks I've got a big book of nursery rhymes and with the help of Mrs.Moo (a cow shaped crinkly on touch squeaky cow hand puppet), that's what he's loving right now! I think at eight weeks it doesn't matter re content necessarily, it's all about pitch and tone and hearing your voice etc. One of my most hotly anticipated things about being a Mumma is fostering a very healthy love of books and reading, I think it's a love affair for life when encouraged early. I think I will get some Gruffalo ones soon.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We had one of these attached to the pram and he loved it when out and about.

Books with sounds were a great hit. The Crunching Munching Caterpillar was a good one, and there are a few more in the range too.

For rhyming books, I love Hairy Maclary, so does the toddler, and has done since he was about 4 months old.

Oh i forgot about Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy. :) Very popular here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I must add that you should use your local library too. My local library has a baby section. I go every few weeks to change my daughter's books.

Others books my daughter loves are the lift the flap books by Rod Campbell like Dear Zoo, Noisy Farm. He has some great books.

She also loves the Eric Hill books about Spot the Dog. I love those books.

There are so many fantastic books out there for young children. Great to get their imaginations going at this early age :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement