Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel file - please help!!

Options
  • 17-09-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Can anyone help me please - over the past week have spent about 8 hours on a s'sheet - pedantically saving it every half hour "just incase " finally finished it today , pivoted results - hit save and close to revisit tomorrow! It saved as a .csv file and the data has disappeared and all i am left with is the output of the pivot - like it's not live table just the values - Aaahhh - is there anyway of restrieving the file to its original format does anyone know ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Can you try and save it as a .xlsx again?

(save it as a completely new file so you don't lose or corrupt anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're using a modern version of Excel 2010 or 2013, there should be previous versions stored.

http://www.ablebits.com/office-addins-blog/2014/05/26/recover-unsaved-excel-file/

Look for
    FILE -> Info , Manage Versions and look for an earlier version of the workbook

and failing that

FILE -> Info, Manage Workbooks, select Recover Unsaved Workbooks from the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 JungleJuice

That does sound very logical , unfortunately i didn't think of it earlier !

Can I ask has this happened you before and if so has resaving as .xlsx worked ?? Please say yes !!!!!!

Have now left the office but will try first thing in morning!
    Can you try and save it as a .xlsx again?

(save it as a completely new file so you don't lose or corrupt anything!)

Thanks - yeah tried this earlier and under "manage versions " there was no previous versions , and the option to recover unsaved workbooks there were 2 files there but unfortunately not the one I was looking for :(

Wonder why they didn't save previous versions , I'll check again in the morning.
    Any experience of this yourself ?!?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you've been closing and reopening it over the week, then there should still be the xlsx available to open, in the same directory as your new csv file, though perhaps without a few hours work.

• Advertisement

I hope you're right and I didn't see it today - I checked in the drive the csv was saved in. I also checked in excel - open recent files and couldn't see a xlsx version - could it have saved to a temp file ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Go to the properties sheet of the folder its in, the previous versions tab, this will allow you to use 'shadow volume copies' of the file's previous states, since vista. When you get what you want, go back, as it will affect other files too.

HTH

Thanks - it sounds like it might work but tbh I'm not sure what you're talking about - I will definitely be trying it in the morning

Cheers again :)

Fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Vista and onwards doesn't just replace the contents of a file when you change it, it saves the changes and allows you to revert to a previous state

Thanks en route so will have a look , hopefully this will work - I'll let you all know

Cheers again for your help

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your help , file was retrieved :) ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Advertisement