Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div 2 Heidenfeld Trophy 2014 - 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Lol nice one. The real challenge is your next match! :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Nah. Our next match is the least important of them all. A couple of points would be nice, but we're not in competition with Curragh for promotion; ye've got it sewn up at this stage I think.

Inchicore A looking like the biggie now, if we assume Malahide have blown it with 3½ points from their last two matches.

Long way to go yet though.

Maybe so but still 4/5 matches to go. Can't take anything for granted! You guys are playing great. Big turnaround from last year.

It is amazing alright.

Expected score last night going by ratings was a 5-3 win for Rathmines. At one stage, we were 2-0 down and it looked like we'd be doing well to get 2½. But pretty much everyone on our team is underrated by 50-100 points. I've never seen a whole team of underrated players (outside the Bodley obviously). Things went our way again - my opponent sacced a piece needlessly when I think I was in trouble otherwise, and 15 moves later had to give up his queen to avoid mate.

Course, the upside now is that people are making an extra effort to be available for games.

12½ point gap back to Rathmines A. 12 points to Celbridge. 10½ points back to Inchicore A. 4½ to Curragh. All them have a match in hand though. 9½ ahead of Malahide, who don't have a match in hand.

Still some tough games to come though.

Its definitely nice to have something to play for. Last year we were in division one for experience only lol our goal would be to try and stay up next year.

I reckon we will all improve from playing the top players too. Its seams that overall, the leagues have gotten stronger in the past couple of years.

• Advertisement

I reckon we will all improve from playing the top players too. Its seams that overall, the leagues have gotten stronger in the past couple of years.
    This feels like the weakest Heidenfeld in a while (maybe cos we're winning it!), but there's some very strong teams in the divisions below alright. Round Tower, Blanchardstown, Gonzaga - all have Heidenfeld-strength teams (bar the missing boards of course). Even Cavan have a 2000 on their Ennis. I think now is the time to get out of the Heidenfeld, even if for one season only! It'll get a lot stronger in the coming seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭flipsake

To call it the weakest Heidenfeld in years is a bit harsh. But I do agree that promotion this year is going to be a fair bit easier than next year.
    The advent of trash talking on the eve of a match is an interesting new development!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Too busy now , but will be back later tonight to explain what happened in rathmines vs benildus match .

flipsake wrote: »
    The advent of trash talking on the eve of a match is an interesting new development!
    And the openings battles too!

The d5 Scotch was talked up (on the ICU AGM thread I think), but not played...

Firstly , The rathmines heidenfeld team that played last night , was not the team I was expecting ! .Earlier I made a proposal and got an initial positive response to the idea to let 2 new arrivals in the club , one from brazil and other from usa , both rated around 1900 into the heidenfeld team to push for promotion in view of poor armstrong team performance as an insurance , had my idea was accepted , bottom board heidenfeld would have been rated over 1700 !.

cdeb wrote: »
    we missed a win against the bauld sinbad I think

missed a win against bauld sinbad ?!!! .Is that what I get for a display of my great sportsmanship last night ?!

The night before match I had a terrible sore throat and headache and I posted here at 4 am that I was sick and up but still went to play.As I predicted I played ciaran and he did go for the scotch , as why I didn't play 4... d5 , do you think I was dropped on my head as a baby ? , If I was healthy I may have gone for it but being sick to play 4..d5 having warned ciaran several days in advance what I play, had I not won the game I would've been the laughing stock of chess community for revealing my game plan , I had sore throat and migraine and had to cover my eyes with my woolly hat most of the time ( you saw me ) as light was bothering my eyes and was literally playing semi-blindfold .I didn't play d5 but played an alternative with your scotch expert , the game lasted 22 moves which by then I was a piece up and had winning position and ciaran offered draw and I accepted his draw from a winning position !! ,let me tell you why I accepted it , It was not because of sore throat or the migraine or the fact I didn't sleep the night before or the fact that even with my jacket and scarf and hat on , I was visibly shivering , No I tell you why I did, during the match one of our players that was walking received a text on his mobile and his junior opponent consulted with you and declined to ask for a forfeit , It was an act of sportsmanship ( our player lost anyway ), that's why I let your scotch expert off the hook and accepted a draw in his lost position by returning the favour .

• Advertisement

Your 2 1900 players would be considered illegal players on your division 2 team as there are declared players on your armstrong team who are more than 150 points lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Ciaran

sinbad68 wrote: »
    your scotch expert
    Thanks, I'll have to frame that. :)
    the game lasted 22 moves which by then I was a piece up and had winning position and ciaran offered draw and I accepted his draw from a winning position !!

Hmmm. I don't think it was quite so simple! After you sac back an exchange to avoid the repetition, you're better but calling it winning is a stretch.

Delighted to hear of all the good sportsmanship despite the trash talk ( which is fun in small doses)

Chess is after all supposed to be a game for gentlemen (and women)

It was a piece for two pawns I think; not a straight piece up. With more material to follow when you agreed a draw.

I think - though I didn't look at this in depth, having my own game to play - that e7 first, and then BxP+ may have been better for white. I thought this was a winning continuation when I posted, but I'm not sure now.

Btw, your player was at the board when his phone went off. He then got up to turn his phone off. But I told our player he was there to play chess, not win at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

that's why I let your scotch expert off the hook and accepted a draw in his lost position by returning the favour .
    Ciaran wrote:
    Hmmm. I don't think it was quite so simple! After you sac back an exchange to avoid the repetition, you're better but calling it winning is a stretch.
    cdeb wrote:
    It was a piece for two pawns I think; not a straight piece up. With more material to follow when you agreed a draw.

I think - though I didn't look at this in depth, having my own game to play - that e7 first, and then BxP+ may have been better for white. I thought this was a winning continuation when I posted, but I'm not sure now.

Any chance of getting a look at the game in question?

@ brilliantboy , I would oblige but as new user boards.ie won't allow me to provide links .

If you want to PM a moderator (or indeed, any member who can post links) with the link, we can post it up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

The night before match I had a terrible sore throat and headache and I posted here at 4 am that I was sick and up but still went to play.As I predicted I played ciaran and he did go for the scotch , as why I didn't play 4... d5 , do you think I was dropped on my head as a baby ? , If I was healthy I may have gone for it but being sick to play 4..d5 having warned ciaran several days in advance what I play, had I not won the game I would've been the laughing stock of chess community for revealing my game plan , I had sore throat and migraine and had to cover my eyes with my woolly hat most of the time ( you saw me ) as light was bothering my eyes and was literally playing semi-blindfold .I didn't play d5 but played an alternative with your scotch expert , the game lasted 22 moves which by then I was a piece up and had winning position and ciaran offered draw and I accepted his draw from a winning position !! ,let me tell you why I accepted it , It was not because of sore throat or the migraine or the fact I didn't sleep the night before or the fact that even with my jacket and scarf and hat on , I was visibly shivering , No I tell you why I did, during the match one of our players that was walking received a text on his mobile and his junior opponent consulted with you and declined to ask for a forfeit , It was an act of sportsmanship ( our player lost anyway ), that's why I let your scotch expert off the hook and accepted a draw in his lost position by returning the favour .
    What's that line? "I've never beaten a healthy opponent." I won Kilkenny in worse condition one year.

Ciaran wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have to frame that. :)

The engine had black leading by almost 2 points at the time of draw , anyway ,ciaran ,I shall remember your post here and next time we play each other ,if you come to me and say ." Please, sir, I don't want any more ( chess ) and offer a draw , you'll get the same response as oliver twist got ! .
    Your 2 1900 players would be considered illegal players on your division 2 team as there are declared players on your armstrong team who are more than 150 points lower.

They don't have icu ratings and not sure how it works out when players join club after league starts , if it was up to me I would declare them as unrated and play them anywhere I liked, anyway the man from brazil played for us in armstrong against balbriggan on board 1 and won.

When do new players are allowed to post links , is it based on time period as a member or number of posts ?

Editing doesn't work , I meant to say " offer an early draw " in the post above .

• Advertisement

6.8...... 4. For all other players including unrated players, team captains must determine the player’s playing strength and advise
    the divisional controller of the estimated rating to be used to determine board order. The estimated rating used in the first match played by the player shall be used for the remainder of the season

You need to have a minimum of 50 posts to post links.

Once they don't have icu rating , the club gets more or less a free hand in placement. In heidenfeld , the promotion race is virtually over , benildus and curragh will be promoted .

If a player has no ICU rating it then goes on FIDE rating and then a rating from another federation. You have to be careful to follow the rules.

If you were desperate for a cause , you wouldn't reveal their rating .Still not clear what happens those rated players who join club after league starts , where they can play ? .

It's very clear where they play - any team so long as they meet the 150 point rule, looking at FIDE and national rating if they have no ICU rating.

It's very clear where they play - any team so long as they meet the 150 point rule, looking at FIDE and national rating if they have no ICU rating.

It is hard to fit new arrivals in if team is full .What happen when a player doesn't record his moves during a game ? procedure ?

It is hard to fit new arrivals in if team is full .
    Doesn't matter. There's always next season. It's only a game like. We had a player re-join us unexpectedly this season after a few years away. He's technically first sub, though he's one of the stronger players on the team.
    What happen when a player doesn't record his moves during a game ? procedure ?
    I believe I was entitled to ask my opponent to catch up with the moves on his own time (which I didn't enforce). Failing that, I could possibly have claimed extra time, maybe even the game for repeated offences. I'm fairly sure I could have asked Rathmines to produce a copy of the league rules to check the rule while my opponent's clock ticked.

Though having a look at the FIDE Handbook, it doesn't actually say what punishment there is for not taking moves down. It just says you have to do it.

maybe even the game for repeated offences. I'm fairly sure I could have asked Rathmines to produce a copy of the league rules to check the rule while my opponent's clock ticked.

Though having a look at the FIDE Handbook, it doesn't actually say what punishment there is for not taking moves down. It just says you have to do it.

I think you should have claimed the game and I would have supported you on the spot !, as you warned him several times , unfortunately this has become a habit with our player , a disqualification would be a good lesson ,As I said I am a fair man .It is strange that you don't know what the punishment is for not writing down your moves ! I thought you were well versed in rules of chess as you often like to display your knowledge of chess rules here ?!.

Not that strange given the fide handbook doesn't give one!

Anyone know what it is?

I think you give my knowledge of the rules a bit too much credit.

• Advertisement

Not that strange given the fide handbook doesn't give one!

Anyone know what it is?

I think you give my knowledge of the rules a bit too much credit.

What about ICU handbook , surely fide has some ruling on this , I thought knowing chess rules was your expertise as much as knowing who my opponent and what opening they go for was mine .

P.s enjoy your pirc defence tomorrow night !

Advertisement