Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div 2 Heidenfeld Trophy 2014 - 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭flipsake

Inchicore B 4.5 Rathmines A 3.5

And that was without their snow bound top-scorer on board 8.

Inchicore B are a pretty decent team too. And they too could have a big say in things yet. They play St Benildus last day of the season...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Wow. That's Rathmines A out of it anyway.

We were quite pleased to have Inchicore B on the last day. It's still the easiest game we have left (given we've to play Curragh, Inchicore A and Malahide), but it's looking more tricky by the match alright.

Contrary to popular opinion, I'm coming round to thinking its great having 2 teams in one division. You have 2 chances to do a bit of damage to the opposition!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Good luck today cdeb and to your team, I know this is an important match for both of us, Hopefully you don't give us a hiding!

It looks like no-one else wants promotion anyway - maybe it's destined to be us two by default?

• Advertisement

St Benildus 3-5 Curragh. We snatched 1.5 in the dying seconds to reach the minimum score we were chasing, but we did throw away two games earlier. Curragh's title now; now I think we can get promoted

GG cdeb.

:)

I was quite pleased with that game, I have to say. Especially as I was sandbagging myself on 3 against one of your 1900s (whom I beat in 14 moves last time)

Particularly nice to win with a long-term exchange sac having just finished watching a dvd on the topic too.

You might be mistaken, we were missing a 1900 today so I believe your opponent was 1760 or thereabouts. I didn't see much of your game but I did see the exciting finish! You were moving so fast it just looked like a blur! haha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Ciaran

The less said about the finish to my game, the better. :(

• Advertisement

You might be mistaken, we were missing a 1900 today so I believe your opponent was 1760 or thereabouts. I didn't see much of your game but I did see the exciting finish! You were moving so fast it just looked like a blur! haha!
    Sorry - I should have said I was expecting to be up against a 1900. I was a bit worried when I was "only" up v 1760 - meant there was suddenly a bit of expectation to get a result.

Fairly sure we had a win on board 6 as well at one stage. But if this is the off-day we've been due (throwing away potentially 1½ points), I guess we can't complain too much!

I threw away a win myself so I guess it balances out, that's the nature of the game, we are all only human!

It was a good day of chess anyways, best of luck in the rest of your matches!

Fair enough! (That was you on 8? Meant to say hello, but then my game went the distance!) Wasn't entirely sure what to make of that one. When we were 4½-1½ down with about five minutes to go, I was fearing a 6-2 defeat tbh. We'll take 5-3!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

5-3 is a good result for any team surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Ciaran

5-3 is a good result for any team surely

Depends on whether you get the 5 or the 3. ;)

Celbridge 5.5 Rathmines A 2.5.
    Celbridge having a storming 2nd half to the season. Serious contenders for promotion again now.

Definitely. Next game v Curragh will be quite interesting. A win for Curragh would stop Celbridge in their tracks a bit; they'd only have one match left after that.

Rathmines A probably out of it now, though they have an easy run in.

Curragh 6 Inchicore B 2

Inchicore A 5 Malahide 3

Celbridge 2.5 Curragh 5.5

• Advertisement

Ouch. That's a nasty result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kildaremark

I think he meant Celbridge 2.5- 5.5 Curragh !

woops sorry my bad!

Did he?

That's an excellent result! :)

Someone put me out of the suspense?

Edit - Cowboy Dreams has done it. So we're four points behind Celbridge with two matches in hand. If Celbridge win their last game 6-2, we just need ten points from three matches to be promoted - but we would need to beat Inchicore A in that I'd say.

Curragh are more or less champions now; congrats!

Thanks! but still some work to do! We have never won this division before so it will be great if we can hold out till the end!

Having 2 teams in Division 1 is a great achievement too!

Long way from having two Armstrong teams yet!

Inchicore A have every right to fancy their chances still.

Top four as it stands -

Curragh 8-44½
    Celbridge 9-39½
    St Benildus 7-35½
    Inchicore A 7-31

Malahide have to play all those teams except Curragh. And Malahide aren't a bad side (even if, bizarrely, they're second bottom at the moment)

woops sorry my bad!

Crikey Cowboy. You gave me an awful shock there. Not good for the nerves.
    Its bad enough being the outsider in a 2 horse race for 2nd without a third one joining in the party. Thought Celbridge were genuinely back in the mix there for a minute.
    Well done on gaining local bragging rights!
    A couple more interesting clashes next week...

Thanks, It was a much closer match than the result shows to be honest.

sorry about the mix up! I am still tired from my game, had to use all my grey matter resources! plus WATCHING a time scramble has me stressed out, I can only imagine how the players felt! This chess malarkey is not good for the nerves!

Well done to Jim Murray of Lucan. First player to be guaranteed of a board prize in the Heidenfeld this year. Some excellent wins there and mainly with the black pieces.

With 2 rounds to spare!

• Advertisement

Yes that is a great Season for him! Some players play better with black. I tend to myself anyway!

Advertisement