Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div 2 Heidenfeld Trophy 2014 - 2015

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Wow.

So we're back in the title hunt? If we can just get within I think three points of ye come the end, we can challenge ye to a play-off!

Not going to happen obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Maybe if we dont show up for the last round or something!

Laxative "congratulations" sweets on order from Amazon and on their way to Curragh now. :)

lol ah you will have another shot at us next year in Division 1!

Wayyyy too soon to count chickens yet!

• Advertisement

342734.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    Thanks but not as impressive as it seams! Drogheda gave walkovers on 6 boards or something like that.

A disgrace I must say. It's that kind of thing that can bring the chess leagues into disrepute. Is it correct to assume that the Drogheda Chess Club can now be fined by the LCU in the absence of a reasonable explanation? I believe that 3 walkovers are allowed by any one team for the duration of a league competition - is this correct?

That's a bit harsh. Who does it bring the leagues into disrepute with? Potentially interested chess players? They won't care. Current players? We'll move on. It won't effect promotion/relegation either, so no harm done, even if it is, at best, unfortunate.

Yes, the league rules say the club can be fined €10 per board, but at the last AGM, I think it was noted no such fines have ever been levied.

There is no set limit on walkovers in a season mentioned in the rules.

I believe there was a bereavement, I think that is a reasonable excuse don't you? I have to say we were dissapointed as we had the room booked and lads showed up for games but sometimes these things cant be avoided.

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    I believe there was a bereavement, I think that is a reasonable excuse don't you? I have to say we were dissapointed as we had the room booked and lads showed up for games but sometimes these things cant be avoided.

Sorry to hear that - of course, a bereavement is a reasonable explanation!

I've been through that process myself when my uncle died and know what it can be like - it's not pleasant.

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. Who does it bring the leagues into disrepute with? Potentially interested chess players? They won't care. Current players? We'll move on. It won't effect promotion/relegation either, so no harm done, even if it is, at best, unfortunate.

Yes, the league rules say the club can be fined €10 per board, but at the last AGM, I think it was noted no such fines have ever been levied.

There is no set limit on walkovers in a season mentioned in the rules.

Well, there is a reasonable explanation on Drogheda's part - I've just been told by Neo_Ninja.

In general however, if you turned up with your team to play a match and there was a no show on the part of the other team and there was no reasonable explanation on their part, would you like that? I also don't like winning games in that way.

It's happened before. I don't like winning games that way - and seeing opponents or (especially on the final day) opponents of rivals turning up with byes is never nice. But at the end of the day, it's just a game, which is why I think ideas of it being a disgrace or disreputable are over the top. These things happen (and we've given our share of walkovers down the years)

We all like to play chess, there's no fun in getting a walkover especially when you have been looking forward to having a game - but it happens. Some things in life have to take priority over chess.

Sorry to hear about your uncle Middle Man

It's happened before. I don't like winning games that way - and seeing opponents or (especially on the final day) opponents of rivals turning up with byes is never nice. But at the end of the day, it's just a game, which is why I think ideas of it being a disgrace or disreputable are over the top. These things happen (and we've given our share of walkovers down the years)

I do take chess very seriously, but I suppose in the end of the day it's not as if our lives depend on it. Some people play it for enjoyment and others play it for pride.

I personally play it so I can crush peoples souls, The look on their face when they know they have been beaten is priceless. I'm joking of course but Bobby Fischer would probably agree! :D

342783.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gurua2

Hi all,
    just to clarify here. My information is that Drogheda had already flagged to the Curragh that would be giving walkovers on 6 boards prior to the match but that two players would turn up. On the day that the match was to be played the call came through that these two players could not turn up due to a bereavement. So this explains why one maybe two players did not turn up but not the other six,

Well Luckily it makes no difference to the positions so no real harm done apart from a little disappointment in not getting a game.

Not that I particularly want this to happen, but are Drogheda not relegated now?

It looked like they were going to be relegated anyways,

Not with only one team going down. Phibsboro need 5 to pass Drogheda out, and they're playing Rathmines A, who are in great form lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Looks like it and their Ennis team is bring relegated also so it means they would have Div 3 & 4 teams instead of Div 2 & 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Not with only one team going down. Phibsboro need 5 to pass Drogheda out, and they're playing Rathmines A, who are in great form lately.

I thought two teams were going down allowing three to move up In all the lower leagues?

bduffy wrote: »
    I thought two teams were going down allowing three to move up In all the lower leagues?

I thought this as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

That's right, except the Heidenfeld, being the division one team short, sends down only one team.

And then with Rathmines more or less relegated from the Armstrong, there was talk that their Heidenfeld B (now Heidenfeld C) might opt for relegation - which would mean promotion for the fourth-placed team in the Ennis. Which should be Bray, who opted for relegation from the Heidenfeld three years ago.

All getting a bit like the League of Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

If that is the case surely it makes sense to give the place to either Round Tower or Gonzaga instead of promoting a fourth team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Why would there be a fourth team promoted? If Drogheda were to be relegated for forfeiting that game, that would be in place of Phibsboro (assuming they don't catch Drogheda in the last round) wouldn't it?

Oh yeah. Duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

Are you saying then that there are three teams being promoted from the Ennis as it stands now?

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Advertisement

Yes. That was announced earlier in the season.

Three up from the O'Hanlon, BA, Bodley and O'Sullivan too.

Advertisement