Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Lough Gur?

• 17-09-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32

Hiyas just wanted to know has anyone been fishin on the lough this year? Seen plenty of small fish jumpin about the lake so im guessin there must be monster pike in there? Anyone had a big catch out of there this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

im mad too try lough gur aswell but havent heard anything so couldnt be bothered trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Its not a bad spot but you need a boat to fish it.

Always try an area out. Don't wait to read about it online. Experiment with locations and methods. Some rarely fished spots are excellent and if you blank then you blank but have learned something.

is it not possible to fish from the shore at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

db97 wrote: »
    is it not possible to fish from the shore at all

There are some swims near a car park at a heritage park there, if I remember rightly but I only ever heard of some Rudd caught there. Certainly decent pike in it but perhaps best to drop around and ask if you are anywhere near by. It's a good few years since I was fishing that part of the country. I stick to Cavan, & Monaghan mostly these days as I'm not as young as I used to be.

I'm really a brown trout fly angler at heart!!

yea im fairly close by allright.. and juno if you look at google maps lough gur theres two lakes together are they joined or seperate.. and im goin try cavan during march and again during the summer.. and I find fly fishing frustrating haha only went once in the river aherlow in clonmel caught one palm sized trout ha and every tree on the riverbank haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

There's a report available online where an environmental study was done on Lough Gur. The lake is eutrophic and as such it's not particularly productive. It's full of rudd, and consequently there are some pike. Probably a few big ones. But not many according to the study anyways. The study didn't show up any appreciable number of pike.

Here's the study. http://wfdfish.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Gur_report_2012.pdf

thats very good.. so theres not that many pike. never knew there were perch in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 joeyturbo

I fished it a good few times over the summer an pulled out so nice size perch an rudd Over The far side of the lake, seen some fellas pullin out small pike, which where released back into the lake. But also seen scales on the bank So im guessin pike were taken aswell. :|

joeyturbo wrote:
    I fished it a good few times over the summer an pulled out so nice size perch an rudd Over The far side of the lake, seen some fellas pullin out small pike, which where released back into the lake. But also seen scales on the bank So im guessin pike were taken aswell. :|

I caught a few rudd in there on a waggler and maggots but havent heard of anyone gettin any decent pike out of there in years.. id say they have been taken alright same everywhere sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 joeyturbo

db97 wrote: »
    I caught a few rudd in there on a waggler and maggots but havent heard of anyone gettin any decent pike out of there in years.. id say they have been taken alright same everywhere sure.

Yeah i say there gone just loads of jacks

• Advertisement
Advertisement