Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Div 6 Bodley Cup 2014 - 2015

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

I prefer this way as board one is the strongest player and will have tournament of 11 games on board 1 .
    Same amount whites and blacks etc . The board one should be deserved . The place in team as well .

Here is my theory - I am not result or rating focus coach my main focus is improvement of the play. The rating and results are secondary thing to me and I never knew what is my private students rating .
    usually in the past Ryan , John , Eoin , Aravind use to inform me about rating as I wasnt interested at all . We have same team all the time simple as that . Same was in Kilkenny when I use to play and coach there . I do not remember that we had one meeting talking about future opponents same is now in Enniscorthy . At least I do not watch who is our opponent etc . We play and we enjoy in chess and hard work

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That's grand. I've outlined my different view as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I prefer this way as board one is the strongest player and will have tournament of 11 games on board 1 .
    Same amount whites and blacks etc . The board one should be deserved . The place in team as well .

Here is my theory - I am not result or rating focus coach my main focus is improvement of the play. The rating and results are secondary thing to me and I never knew what is my private students rating .
    usually in the past Ryan , John , Eoin , Aravind use to inform me about rating as I wasnt interested at all . We have same team all the time simple as that . Same was in Kilkenny when I use to play and coach there . I do not remember that we had one meeting talking about future opponents same is now in Enniscorthy . At least I do not watch who is our opponent etc . We play and we enjoy in chess and hard work

Its funny you should disagree with switching up the board order when your bodley team have been switching it up all season. Including having a 1400 on board 2 and a 1280 on board one. I agree with it though, its a winning strategy. A good bit of captaining! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Debornie

We've been working off live ratings.

Same amount whites and blacks etc
    . The board one should be deserved . The place in team as well .

I am all for switching the boards to give people different playing opportunities, but it contradicts what Chess_Coach had been saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Debornie

Chess coach coaches the Enniscorthy kids he is not the captain of the teams. We have been playing our strongest players on board 1. The boards have changed throughout the season. The 1280 playing on board 1 had a live rating of 1432. We have been using live ratings. This changed for our last 2 games due to the 150 point rule which is based on the September ratings we therefore are not able to play our strongest rated player on board 1. It's nothing got to do with chess coaches opinion be it for or against. It has simply got to do with live ratings.

My comment was obviously referring to his post :rolleyes:

The strongest player should play board one . All that strategy behind is just waste of time. White pieces , Black pieces team strategy is just pure nonsense. While others spend time to this some are improving their play. The best feeling is when you just win the game and match because of playing good chess . As well when you arrange team for match you just show fear . I would like the rule that you have to declare team 7 days before match but then it would take so much joy for strategy planners !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Would you ever just get over yourself? Most teams might swap two players for a critical match once in a season, if even that. That moral high ground you're standing on is a molehill.

St Benildus B 2.5-2.5 Malahide

Superb result for both our teams!

• Advertisement

Actually, just looking at the table there, Sunday is going to be one hell of a relegation dogfight. Currently one point between the bottom six teams! Elm Mount should a bit pull clear with their match in hand, but still, don't recall a division ever being that tight.

St Benildus B v Rathmines is the only game between two teams in the bottom six
    Pos	Team	        MP	GW	GD	GL	Pts
    1	Enniscorthy	10	40	4	6	42    
    2	St Benildus A	10	31	7	12	34 1/2
    [U]3	Curragh	        10	29	7	14	32 1/2[/U]
    4	Malahide	10	26	11	13	31 1/2
    5	Naomh Barróg	10	22	12	16	28    
    6	Blanchardstown	9	18	4	23	20    
    7	Bray/Greystones	10	14	8	28	18    
    8	Elm Mount	9	15	6	24	18    
    9	Inchicore	10	15	6	29	18    
    [U]10	St Benildus B	10	14	8	28	18    [/U]
    11	Rathmines A	10	14	7	29	17 1/2
    12	Rathmines B	10	13	8	29	17

Looking good for the Curragh, We might even get some second place trophies! The most exciting division by far going into the final!

The LCU site has updated - Blanch lost 3-2 to Elm Mount, but still have points deducted, which I have added back in the table above.

If they don't get those points back, they're relegated, which would ease the congestion at the bottom a slight bit.

Would you trust the ICU payments function after all that's gone on lately?

Hopefully there will be a bit of leeway due to the fact the system was down for a bit, Its great that its back in action now and it wont effect the May Ratings lists. The ratings site is the best asset we have. If I remember correctly back in the day we would get the ratings posted out as well as the league fixtures and tables. :D

Yeah, there used to be a bulletin posted out twice a year I think - once sometime mid-season and once shortly before the final round? There'd be gaps in it too as I recall, so you'd turn up for the final day not entirely sure what you were playing for. Don't know how people managed!

Congratulations to Enniscorthy, Deserved Champions!

Amazing result for new team in the league - without blog ,swapping players, special strategy - pure muscle strength . I think that we all knew who the Champion will be just look where is Chess Mourinho and you know who Champion is . Simple as that .

All they need now is a good coach to bring them on to the next level.

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    All they need now is a good coach to bring them on to the next level.

The only one Fide Trainer in Ireland is OK for now . But you might be correct there . BTW as you are Ninja I am skilled in Marital arts would you like one CHess Boxing match . I would like to bring you to the next level. Man enough to say yes ?

I hope you dont teach the children that sort of behaviour. I was congratulating your team and you have to put down others. If you can't win with dignity then its not much of a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Well done to Enniscorthy. They have come a long way in two short years and their league success and promotion is well deserved.
    Is there any chance that the Lcu might move them up two divisions if any teams pull out over the summer, as I think something similar happened a few years back.
    Did Enniscorthy manage to surpas the points total that Round Towers achieved in the Bodley a few years ago?

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    I hope you dont teach the children that sort of behaviour. I was congratulating your team and you have to put down others. If you can't win with dignity then its not much of a win.

My Chess friend the chess boxing is very popular in UK and USA . They are rules there. Even 10 years old can box - in sport or ? So I would like to introduce this sport in Ireland . If you are man enough you could help me in promotion . There is nothing bad in Chess and Box as a sport . You are Ninja come on lets have some fun

We were bumped 2 divisions one time, so it is possible but I dont know what the circumstances were.

WOOW that is amazing !

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Round Towers went up two divisions last year as the team were experienced Armstrong players and it would have have been an academic exercise. In the O'Hanlon they faced some stronger competition but were still worthy winners.
    I think that Enniscorthy would benefit from competing in Div 5, but no one would ever say no to Div 4 either :) .
    In any event it's their day and they can be proud of their effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmmaKd

On behalf of Enniscorthy many thanks for your kind words, its been a fantastic season and we've enjoyed every moment of it. Congrats also to Benildus and The Curragh on your promotion and we look forward to seeing both of ye in the BEA next Season.

PS Neo_Ninja, Chess_Coach is a fantastic coach .... Fortunately the parents teach the kids how to be dignified!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

EmmaKd wrote: »
    Chess_Coach is a fantastic coach
    We know. He's told us repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The only one Fide Trainer in Ireland is OK for now . But you might be correct there . BTW as you are Ninja I am skilled in Marital arts would you like one CHess Boxing match . I would like to bring you to the next level. Man enough to say yes ?
    My Chess friend the chess boxing is very popular in UK and USA . They are rules there. Even 10 years old can box - in sport or ? So I would like to introduce this sport in Ireland . If you are man enough you could help me in promotion . There is nothing bad in Chess and Box as a sport . You are Ninja come on lets have some fun

*Mod note* Nobody will be fighting anyone after school. Keep the posts relevant and make your point about the post not the poster.

Anyways.

Well done Enniscorthy. The only double of the season as well, as they took home the O'Sullivan too.

And thanks be to jaysus that after four years in a row of falling at the final hurdle, Benildus finally have a BA team! :)

Also, great to see the Bodley back involved in the final day of the leagues for the first time in five years, I think. It's always a great day, and the Bodley players deserve to be involved too.

• Advertisement

Congrats again to all the winners, We had some of the Enniscourthy players at our club for a year, It was a real pleasure to to have them in our club. We wish them the best of luck next year! :)

I will close this thread now as the season is over. Anything else of interest can be posted here Leinster Leagues Final Rounds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement