Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting car in USA

Options
  • 17-09-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Any idea where can I book cheap cars online for 5 days in New york/Newark area? It looks like after insurance its going to be about 250 euros for 5 days.

Also I am wondering if I need International driving permit, I have full Irish licence.

Thank you very much :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Hi everyone,

Any idea where can I book cheap cars online for 5 days in New york/Newark area? It looks like after insurance its going to be about 250 euros for 5 days.

Also I am wondering if I need International driving permit, I have full Irish licence.

Thank you very much :)

International Licences are only for cases of language differences

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you thought about where you're going to park the car on the days you're in New York city?

Full Irish driving licence and a credit card are all you'll need. Beware of any seemingly cheap deals, they will usually involve a severe reality check when you collect the car i.e. hidden extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

The general advice is that car rentals in the US are always more expensive at airport locations than city locations. There are airport pickup charges and/or taxes added in. So try to rent from a local location, maybe not in Manhattan but in New Jersey for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

thanks for the suggestions.

i will be renting the car at Newark airport and using it in atlantic city and nearby places.

I applied for International Driving permit also today, just to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You'll also get the best deal booking through a .co.uk or .ie site if you can rather than .com

I tend to use Irish-based NovacarHire as the price that they give you is the final without any surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I applied for International Driving permit also today, just to be on the safe side.

It's an utter waste of money tbh - I've had 5 rentals in the States since May & it simply isn't required or requested.

Your Irish License suffices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yamanoto wrote: »
    It's an utter waste of money tbh - I've had 5 rentals in the States since May & it simply isn't required or requested.

+1 The AA locally has the franchise for this nice little money earner and their website is sufficiently vague to fool people into thinking that you might need it so a lot of people do it 'just in case'.

Complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. It really is a waste of money. OP, all an international does is convert the details of your existing license into English. It is not a stand alone document by itself. If your license was (for example) from India or Japan and it used letter and characters that would not be legible to an English speaker, an international license could be a handy thing to have on you, if you were renting a car in an English speaking county. Some car hire companies require one. But as your license is already in English, getting an international DL is a complete waste of money.

Well I sent the application already for IDP... :( next time i will not make it.

Novocarhire is charging €365 for 5 days. I checked dollar car rental and thats giving the cheapest rate. Any other suggestion for car rental please?

I've seen the online broker below recommended here on Boards several times.

I've always found Alamo good to deal with, but just be sure to book through a European portal to ensure collision damage waiver is included in the overall price. It's also worth checking the level of third party cover is adequate ($1 million or so). One other thing - I always book the cheapest / smallest class of car available, though they never have them on site in my experience. The result being you're habitually upgraded to either a compact or midsize. May be worth a punt unless you definitely require a vehicle of a certain size.

http://www.autoeurope.ie/

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental/foreign-landing-pages/alamo-ireland/alamo-ireland-us-locations.html?countryOfResidence=IE?countryOfResidence=IE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=alamo&utm_campaign=Brand%2BExact&sissr=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have always gotten good rates through Argus car hire. They include all insurance and a tank of petrol too.

Any other suggestion for car rental please?

Not unless you give us the dates and places. A cheap broker today for you may be expensive tomorrow for someone else. All these companies are in the same business and it's not possible to find one that stands out as being less expensive than the rest 100% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Only rented a car twice in the US and used Budget, booked online and no surprises with price either time. No pushing anything that I didnt require from the agent. Found some discount codes online as well.

autoeurope.ie is giving best rate...with Zero Excess with Super Cover including wheels, glass, underside and roof of vehicle...

thanks for giving tips..

next step i will buy prepaid currency Mastercard from Postoffice to use in USA.

autoeurope.ie is giving best rate...with Zero Excess with Super Cover including wheels, glass, underside and roof of vehicle...

thanks for giving tips..

next step i will buy prepaid currency Mastercard from Postoffice to use in USA.

Are you planning on using that to pay for the car rental? Most car hire companies won't let you pick up a car from them unless you are using a major credit card...not a debit card, or a pre paid card that you load money on to, but an actual credit card from one of the main credit card companies...VISA, Mastercard, AMEX etc etc.

If you are paying for it all in advance thru a third party website or travel agent and/or you are taking out full insurance, they may let you use a pre paid card, or they may still require a credit card. It's some thing I'd definitely look into first.

I am going to use the pre-paid card to buy thing and eat at restaurants in U.S.

I only have debit card with myself. I will pay for the car rental next week. Is the debit card enough?
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are you planning on using that to pay for the car rental? Most car hire companies won't let you pick up a car from them unless you are using a major credit card...not a debit card, or a pre paid card that you load money on to, but an actual credit card from one of the main credit card companies...VISA, Mastercard, AMEX etc etc.

If you are paying for it all in advance thru a third party website or travel agent and/or you are taking out full insurance, they may let you use a pre paid card, or they may still require a credit card. It's some thing I'd definitely look into first.

I am going to use the pre-paid card to buy thing and eat at restaurants in U.S.

I only have debit card with myself. I will pay for the car rental next week. Is the debit card enough?

I doubt it. Car rental companies generally require a credit card. This is to cover themselves if you damage/crash the car. If anything bad happens, they can bill the credit card company for the damage/loss. The credit card company then come after you for the moolah. If all you have is a debit card, all they can bill you for is the amount that is in your bank account. If you don't have enough money in your account to cover the damage, they are out of pocket. Hence their requiring a credit card.

You need to check with the car rental company itself. They may accept a debit card if you are taking out maximum car insurance coverage, or they may require a very cash deposit in addition to the cost of the rental itself. Don't just show up on the day with a debit card, as you'll definitely have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You need to check with the car rental company itself. They may accept a debit card if you are taking out maximum car insurance coverage, or they may require a very cash deposit in addition to the cost of the rental itself. Don't just show up on the day with a debit card, as you'll definitely have issues.

Also check with the rental company in the state you are renting from as the rules can vary from state to state.

Also the credit card has to be in the name of one of the drivers.

If anyone else in your party has a credit card, that's undoubtedly gonna make the whole process a lot less complicated.

I saw a sign at the Alamo counter in MSP airport recently, stating debit cards ARE accepted once you can provide proof of a return ticket. Enterprise and National are part of the same alliance & look to have somewhat similar policies as per the link below.

I'm not sure how current the info is, but by the looks of it that the Alamo policy is company wide. Other rental firms appear to perform credit checks on-site and / or look for cash advances, which may pose issues for overseas residents etc.

http://www.best-car-rental-tips.com/debit-card-rental-policies.html

Holycr.....

I am going to email the autoeurope company to clarify that i have only debit card and i dont have credit card...

• Advertisement

Holycr.....

I am going to email the autoeurope company to clarify that i have only debit card and i dont have credit card...

As suggested by others above, it'd also be wise to speak with the relevant branches of the rental firms directly. By the looks of the link I provided, a debit card may well be workable with Alamo, Enterprise & National, though you should probably also be asking what sort of $ hold they'll place on the card.

I have emailed the car rental company...

I am not sure if I can even get a credit card from my AIB bank. I am with them since last 10 months but i heard one should have account with them for 2 years to be eligible to apply for a credit card. So i am stuck now :(

If anyone else in your party has a credit card, that's undoubtedly gonna make the whole process a lot less complicated.

Only if the credit card holder is one of the named drivers on the rental agreement. In other words the credit card holder needs to have a drivers licence too.

I am not sure if I can even get a credit card from my AIB bank. I am with them since last 10 months but i heard one should have account with them for 2 years to be eligible to apply for a credit card. So i am stuck now :(

it may be okay. Ive done it. It varies from state to state and company to company.

(Although I have a credit card now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I prepaid for car rental in Florida thru http://www.trailfinders.ie/car-hire/usa who use Alamo last Sept. At the Alamo desk when asked for credit card I gave my AIB visa debit card. I was asked for proof of return airline ticket & all was fine.

Just saw that there are many toll roads in US. Is the car rental company going to pay for those and charge me at a later stage? Or do I have to manage all the toll payments on my own?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I generally book with www.carhire3000.com

And yes you will need a credit card to rent a car

Just saw that there are many toll roads in US. Is the car rental company going to pay for those and charge me at a later stage? Or do I have to manage all the toll payments on my own?

Thanks

You almost always pay yourself unless you happen to rent a car that comes with a prepayment EzPay badge but it's fairly rare in my experience.
    In saying that our Chevy Camaro V8 SS that we picked up at an outrageous price of $125 per day in Vegas last year came with one :D

Outside of California, Florida and Texas you ain't gonna find too many toll roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks

I aways rent from Hertz, as I have status with them, and I've always had good experiences. I always request a car with an EzyPass as this makes life infinitely easier on turnpikes and toll roads. You will be charged a rental fee for the EzyPass plus the costs of the tolls. This will typically be charged to your credit card some time after the rental (once Hertz get the costs billed to them). Having the EzyPass also means that you can use the express lanes at the toll booths.

If you don't get an EzyPass, then you have to be ready to pay the tolls yourself.

Advertisement