Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan DOE CRW test

Options
  • 17-09-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Folks,

I have to bring my campervan Ford Transit Elnagh for testing. Anyone know what they are looking for and what I need to do for the test? I am completely clueless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Have a look in the DOE test thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If youre not mechanically minded then make sure all lights are working, if you have cloudy plastic headlamps polish them, make sure tyres have tread, remove hub caps for test, check wiper blades are in good nick, check handbrake lever isn't pulling too far should be around 5 or 6 clicks, make sure fluids are topped up , make sure oil is topped up but dont overfill. If you have visible smoke throw in some injector cleaner or cetane improver like ecodiesel or dipetane.

If you just do that much you've already taken care if some of the most common and stupid failures you can let the testers worry about the rest.

Its always courteous to give it a good clean although some will argue it make it easier for the testers to find corrosion and wear etc. but if it need to be fixed it needs to be fixed.

If you're a little mechanically minded its worth checking your CV boots, track rod ends, ball joints, bushings and jacking it up to check wheel bearings, remove the wheels and check brake pads and discs aren't excessively worn of unevenly worn or discs lipped.

Handbrake should start to bind at 3 clicks and locked at 5. I found a great way to balance shoes on a RWD without a rolling road. Lift the rear axle and spin the prop shaft by hand with the handbrake off and adjust until the diff. balances (equal turns on both wheels) then double check the balance with it on 3 clicks.

Toothpaste is great for plastic headlamps I hear.

I stone-chip the undercarriage every year.

Toothpaste is great for plastic headlamps I hear

I used to compound them but they're back to square one in no time, you can get meguiars plast-Rx now which has a uv additive lasts for at least 6 months - wipe on wipe off no elbow grease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

moodrater wrote: »
    remove hub caps for test,

That's gas, have never done this

That's gas, have never done this

Not necessary if your studs are visible

Dipped lights focus is another silly thing to fail on.

Advertisement