Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trouble Restoring data from 16Gb phone to 8GB phone?? please help

• 17-09-2014 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

So basically I had a 16Gb iphone 4S which I backed up to Itunes. Phone broke. Insurance has provided me with An 8GB Iphone 5C. I had to give them my 4S so its no longer in my possession.

So when I go to my computer to restore the data to my new 8GB 5C, it wont let me restore anything as there is more than the 8GB worth of data! So I cant get any of my contacts etc back! I dont mind about the photos and videos as they are on the computer. But is there anyway to restore my contacts??

The one working in the vodafone shop said all my contacts should appear on my new phone once I put in my Itunes password... but this hasnt happened...

SO anyone any ideas how i can restore some of the data?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

When you sign into icloud in settings make sure contacts is turned on and they should appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

guil wrote: »
    When you sign into icloud in settings make sure contacts is turned on and they should appear.

its on but they are not coming up? perhaps i wasnt backed up to icloud? could this be a possibility?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sligo1 wrote: »
    its on but they are not coming up? perhaps i wasnt backed up to icloud? could this be a possibility?

Yes, you must have had contacts ticked on the previous device. Log into www.icloud.com on a PC and see exactly what's there?

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, you must have had contacts ticked on the previous device. Log into www.icloud.com on a PC and see exactly what's there?

Thanks very much for your help. Looks like I wasnt backed up to icloud :(. Ah well... here goes the long manual process of trying to get all my numbers back.

Did you ever backup on itunes?

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Did you ever backup on itunes?

Hi ops husband here, the backups are all local on our home computer through iTunes, we don't need anything but the contacts as photos have been manually siphoned off and stored on computer.

If there is anyway to, extract contacts only from a recent back to the computer via iTunes then that would really help us out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi ops husband here, the backups are all local on our home computer through iTunes, we don't need anything but the contacts as photos have been manually siphoned off and stored on computer.

If there is anyway to, extract contacts only from a recent back to the computer via iTunes then that would really help us out.

You can just plug back in and restore to the previous back up including contacts then maybe delete what you don't want and do an iCloud back up then. Use that back up as your new starting point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Probably the best way is to use an iPhone Backup Extractor piece of software suh as:

http://www.video-converter-mac.org/recover-iphone-contacts/

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/?gclid=CNTzvqmQ6cACFcaE2wod9CYAEA

I know nothing of the software or if it even works, but its what some folks said the used in the same situation as you.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I used a backup extractor a long time ago after itunes messed up a restore on an iphone 4. I had to add all the numbers again manually and it was a pain to find them all but it's possible

Not sure if this will still work but here's how I did it. Some file locations might be different but a quick google should point you in the right direction.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78439333&postcount=11

• Advertisement
Advertisement