Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's ok, I found them. They seem to have redesigned the layout of the photos section.

I have the same problem you have but I can't find them at all. I had a friend who had the same problem yet fix his have a look at my phone but couldn't work it out.

Does anybody have anymore ideas on how I might find my photos?

My problem is that it has only deleted photos from recently (last month or so) and I have all my previous photos.

Any help is greatly appreciated as the photos are of sentimental value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

nickhx wrote: »
    Your photos are still there, just in the photos app now!

Not the photo stream ones. As I said it didn't bother me as I had them all as actual copies bar one or two but it wasn't a big deal. After the update it only had a few photos I'd taken over the past few days. Every other photo stream pic had disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Are you sure that Messages is ticked in Settings=>General=>Spotlight Search
    yes
    Managed to downgrade my 4s earlier in the week, but couldnt do himself's last night. Apple pulled the signing around teatime for 7.1.2
    you gotta be kidding me????!!!!! Bugger that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

DubDJ wrote: »
    Not the photo stream ones. As I said it didn't bother me as I had them all as actual copies bar one or two but it wasn't a big deal. After the update it only had a few photos I'd taken over the past few days. Every other photo stream pic had disappeared.

I'd resigned myself to that too... but they're all still there. They've just moved them from 'albums' to 'collections' - you know that timeline thing in photos -should be all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Anyone else having WIFI issues? Things like Twitter just not loading on my phone at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »

Are you sure they aren't in your main photo library? Because Photostream works totally different under iOS 8. When enabled, it now syncs newly taken photos across your devices. These appear in the photo collections of those devices and not in a separate album as they did previously.

For example, everything that was in my iPad's Photostream folder (photos mainly taken on my iPhone) are now part of my iPad's photo collection. Newly taken photos on my iPhone are also automatically added to my iPad library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Apple TV gone from my remote app. This update has been nothing but bugs for me.

coffeepls wrote: »
    I'd resigned myself to that too... but they're all still there. They've just moved them from 'albums' to 'collections' - you know that timeline thing in photos -should be all there.

100% not there after the update.
    Are you sure they aren't in your main photo library? Because Photostream works totally different under iOS 8. When enabled, it now syncs newly taken photos across your devices. These appear in the photo collections of those devices and not in a separate album as they did previously.

For example, everything that was in my iPad's Photostream folder (photos mainly taken on my iPhone) are now part of my iPad's photo collection. Newly taken photos on my iPhone are also automatically added to my iPad library.

Yeah but I had a couple hundred photos and afterwards all that was left was maybe less than 10 photos.

Actually, maybe I don't have them because I setup the phone as new. Or because I upgraded to iCloud Drive. Right now I don't see what photostream still exists for. If iCloud Photo Library syncs all your photos and videos between devices what's the point in photostream?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it’s because you set it up as new. So it was only able to download what was stored in Photostream on the server, which would have been limited to the last 30 days. Your device would have contained Photostream photos going back further than that. If you have a pre-iOS 8 backup you should be able to restore them.

As I tried to explain above (unsuccessfully probably because it’s quite confusing), Photostream still works the same way server-side as it did before - recently taken photos are stored in the cloud for 30 days/1000 photos, etc, and are automatically pushed to other devices. But on the device, Apple have tried to simplify it. When Photostream is enabled, any photos taken on your iPhone are automatically added your iPad’s photo library - which is essentially how it worked before except now there’s no longer a distinction between photos taken on the device and Photostream photos taken on other devices.

Apple still haven’t clarified exactly how it works, probably because iCloud Photo Library hasn’t launched yet, but this should mean that Photostream is a good alternative for people who don’t want to pay for the extra storage in order to use iCloud Photo Library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Apps for health - Now has it's own section in the iTunes store

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?id=905188867&mt=8

Currently 14 apps there

• Advertisement

Yeah, it’s because you set it up as new. So it was only able to download what was stored in Photostream on the server, which would have been limited to the last 30 days. Your device would have contained Photostream photos going back further than that. If you have a pre-iOS 8 backup you should be able to restore them.

As I tried to explain above (unsuccessfully probably because it’s quite confusing), Photostream still works the same way server-side as it did before - recently taken photos are stored in the cloud for 30 days/1000 photos, etc, and are automatically pushed to other devices. But on the device, Apple have tried to simplify it. When Photostream is enabled, any photos taken on your iPhone are automatically added your iPad’s photo library - which is essentially how it worked before except now there’s no longer a distinction between photos taken on the device and Photostream photos taken on other devices.

Apple still haven’t clarified exactly how it works, probably because iCloud Photo Library hasn’t launched yet, but this should mean that Photostream is a good alternative for people who don’t want to pay for the extra storage in order to use iCloud Photo Library.

Yeah it's the only confusing part from the whole update. I wasn't sure why the iCloud photo library was pulled, but now I have it I much prefer it to Photostream. Working flawlessly for me. Tempted to upgrade to 20GB but it's not going to be much use until the Mac gets the app next year. iCloud.com looks like it might offer an in-between until then but I'm gonna wait for the Mac app. Have to say it's one of my favourite features, it's been missing video sync for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    Yes to all those questions.

As I understand it:

iCloud Photo Library - *everything* in your photo library is uploaded and stored in iCloud and all your devices are kept in sync (but to save space, lower res versions can be stored on your devices). This will obviously require most people to upgrade their iCloud storage, unless they’ve got a very small photo library.

Photo Stream - *new* photos are uploaded and temporarily stored in iCloud for 30 days/1000 photos and pushed to all your devices (where they should be stored permanently). As the cloud storage used by this is is temporary, it doesn’t use up your iCloud storage.

iCloud Photo Library is the preferred option of the two. But Photo Stream will be a good alternative for people with insufficient iCloud storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I haven't downloaded this yet and don't think I will. Not because of the problems but I'm not willing to delete alot of my content for a small upgrade.
    Too much effort IMO. It's not like for 6-7 that was huge this one is like an IOS7.2 not IOS8.
    Even 5 to 6 was big

Yes to all those questions.

As I understand it:

iCloud Photo Library - *everything* in your photo library is uploaded and stored in iCloud and all your devices are kept in sync (but to save space, lower res versions can be stored on your devices). This will obviously require most people to upgrade their iCloud storage, unless they’ve got a very small photo library.

Photo Stream - *new* photos are uploaded and temporarily stored in iCloud for 30 days/1000 photos and pushed to all your devices (where they should be stored permanently). As the cloud storage used by this is is temporary, it doesn’t use up your iCloud storage.

iCloud Photo Library is the preferred option of the two. But Photo Stream will be a good alternative for people with insufficient iCloud storage.

It works really well for me so far, even albums that are blank are synced across. I usually take a few photos, sync to Mac and add them to photo library. This way it will all be done automatically so it's a lot better for me.

Video playback is a little slow though. But don't know if they keep a copy of those or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Getting annoyed now, every time i unlock my ipod touch, it is asking me to log into the Icloud, i have disabled it on my Ipod so no idea why it keeps asking for my password.

Anybody experiencing this also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Did you disable backup to iCloud or what?

Why not just enter it be done with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've a 16gig iphone 5 - i can't upgrade over wifi as i've only 300mb free and says I need 4.7gig ! - I know I can connect to PC / iTunes.

My question is.. what space will I have left after the install ? Will i be able to install without having to delete anything.

If I had a brand new fresh phone and install this how much space would I be left with out of the "16gig" would it be 16gig - 4.7gig = 11.3gig or more like closer to 14 or 15 ? I know you never get the full 16gig but I'm more thinking about doing the upgrade or not as I don't want to lose all that space on the OS...

Will the 8gig/16gig iphone become useless over the coming years as bigger iOS's come out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've a 16gig iphone 5 - i can't upgrade over wifi as i've only 300mb free and says I need 4.7gig ! - I know I can connect to PC / iTunes.

My question is.. what space will I have left after the install ? Will i be able to install without having to delete anything.

If I had a brand new fresh phone and install this how much space would I be left with out of the "16gig" would it be 16gig - 4.7gig = 11.3gig or more like closer to 14 or 15 ? I know you never get the full 16gig but I'm more thinking about doing the upgrade or not as I don't want to lose all that space on the OS...

Will the 8gig/16gig iphone become useless over the coming years as bigger iOS's come. out ?

Installing over iTunes will not eat up your storage. iOS 8 will down load onto your pc and then install into your phone. I think and I might be wrong but, iOS 8 is around 200mb or so larger than iOS 7 so you will be slightly down on storage.

So a fresh 16gb iPhone 5 on iOS 8 should have around 12.2 gb of storage.

Getting annoyed now, every time i unlock my ipod touch, it is asking me to log into the Icloud, i have disabled it on my Ipod so no idea why it keeps asking for my password.

Anybody experiencing this also?

iCloud was down last night, a lot of people were having problems with this same thing. I don't know if it's fixed but it's on Apple's side of things. Should fix itself eventually. Only a small number of people were effected. I didn't have any problems myself.

• Advertisement

Will the 8gig/16gig iphone become useless over the coming years as bigger iOS's come out ?

I updated with iTunes and my iPad failed. I think the issue was down to the iPad being almost full up so iOS 8 (which is larger than the previous update) hadn't got enough storage to add all the files back.

I'd clear out a bit if you can. Maybe delete one or two large sized apps. Also it doesn't actually take 5.7GB, it just needs that space to move files around during the update.

Make sure you backup before updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

cheers lads

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It only needs 4.7gb of space to update OTA because the phone is download th full OS to the phone and doing some internal shifting about to install it. Afterwards you will be back to similar storage capacity give or take some MB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Zcott wrote: »
    Did you disable backup to iCloud or what?

Why not just enter it be done with it?

No backup is still active, I do keep entering the password keeps asking for it each time I unloch iPod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

old_aussie wrote: »

It's fake....

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hoax-ios-8-ios-8-0-2-security-081903321.html

It's almost ridiculous this stage the unwarranted crap being thrown around online, scaremongering and confusing people

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Anyone else find that their battery has gotten worse with IOS 8? Mine has been shocking on my 5s since I've updated.

stuba wrote: »
    Anyone else find that their battery has gotten worse with IOS 8? Mine has been shocking on my 5s since I've updated.

Yeah my battery life has shortened with the update (iPhone 5). I know after every update people complain about battery but i've definitely had a bigger battery decrease. Overnight I'd usually loose 3% but now it's between 9-12%.

Nothing major though, I still get through the day with moderate use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

stuba wrote: »

My dad is complaining about iOS8 on his 5. Says his battery is draining alot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an issue since updating to iOS 8 where the button of a bluetooth headset won't answer calls? The audio comes through fine. I've tried a hard reset, forgetting the device and re-pairing.
    Just wanted to check again if anyone has this issue. Pretty annoying that it suddenly came about once iOS 8 was introduced.

Advertisement