Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

kceire wrote: »
    My dad is complaining about iOS8 on his 5. Says his battery is draining alot worse.

Mine in fine since I updated to 8.0.2 and disabled background refresh on all apps.
    Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh

Not sure if this really matters, but I have noticed a vast improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

brophs wrote: »
    Just wanted to check again if anyone has this issue. Pretty annoying that it suddenly came about once iOS 8 was introduced.

No idea why, but after a restore and fiddling around with other settings I tried to delete all settings as a last resort seems to have sorted it, though having googled it some people say the issue comes back. Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Has anyone else noticed something strange with Safari.

When I open Safari it often seems to show a page / URL that I had opened ages ago (maybe even days ago!), for a split second before showing the actual last page viewed. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, I've seen that but it's orientation based. It'll cache a brief snapshot of the website I last viewed in landscape mode and show that if I've been using portrait for a few days and then open Safari in landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Not happening on mine.

• Advertisement

Col_30 wrote: »
    Mine in fine since I updated to 8.0.2 and disabled background refresh on all apps.
    Settings -> General -> Background App Refresh

Not sure if this really matters, but I have noticed a vast improvement.

I have this on for three apps and my battery still lasts the whole day and into the evening, as good as ever. Some apps are badly behaved but turning it off across the board should be unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed something strange with Safari.

When I open Safari it often seems to show a page / URL that I had opened ages ago (maybe even days ago!), for a split second before showing the actual last page viewed. Anyone else notice this?

iPhones (and Macs, and probably lots of other brands of phone too) do this trick to make multitasking/switching apps seem a little quicker, where they store a screenshot of the last session (sometimes in my experience it's not quite the last though) and then when you switch to the app it displays the screenshot until the app is fully loaded.

I often find this happening on my 4 because it's pretty slow now. I'm assuming you're not using a 6? After installing iOS 8, which is optimized for Apple's newest model, you might experience some slight slowdown and this is why you're noticing this now and didn't before.

It's nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Ultimate Guide to Solving iOS Battery Drain

Written by an Apple genius earlier in the year, this remains the best guide to solving iOS battery drain. He rightly places most of the blame on Facebook, one of the worst written apps on the App Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't use Facebook that much but it's at second place with 16% battery usage over 7 days… :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

EmmetOT wrote: »
    iPhones (and Macs, and probably lots of other brands of phone too) do this trick to make multitasking/switching apps seem a little quicker, where they store a screenshot of the last session (sometimes in my experience it's not quite the last though) and then when you switch to the app it displays the screenshot until the app is fully loaded.

I often find this happening on my 4 because it's pretty slow now. I'm assuming you're not using a 6? After installing iOS 8, which is optimized for Apple's newest model, you might experience some slight slowdown and this is why you're noticing this now and didn't before.

It's nothing to worry about.

I am using a new 6 actually! Ah I'm not bothered about it, it was just something I'd noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Updated over the last few days to IOS8 on IPad2 and now its almost unusable when going on safari and chrome its very slow loading pages etc its driving me crazy:mad:. Its not my internet as I just got efibre and am getting 35mb down on the ipad with speedtest. Any known issues out there or is there some thing I can do to improve the situation.

thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Used a 6 and a 6+ today.

All reservations I had from the keynote have evaporated. Absolutely beautiful devices, and both make the previous models look instantly outdated. The 6+ is big, but not an absolute monster. After using the two I'll probably go with the 6+ myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cliffs on iOS8?
    Worth the upgrade on a iPhone6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Mellor wrote: »
    Cliffs on iOS8?
    Worth the upgrade on a iPhone6.

A jaysus, first U2, now cliff's on my iPhone ... Tim Cook has ****e taste in music :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Updated over the last few days to IOS8 on IPad2 and now its almost unusable when going on safari and chrome its very slow loading pages etc its driving me crazy:mad:. Its not my internet as I just got efibre and am getting 35mb down on the ipad with speedtest. Any known issues out there or is there some thing I can do to improve the situation.

thanks

I wish I'd read your post yesterday. I updated my ipad2 and it's a disaster, like you things are very sluggish. Video playback is a huge problem, from everything from websites to the Lego Star Wars game whose video clips no longer play.

I'm actually disappointed in myself for thinking it would be anything but a piece of ****.

Apparently 8.1 fixes a lot of problems. It's rumoured to be released around the 20th with the introduction of Apple pay.

bugler wrote: »
    I wish I'd read your post yesterday. I updated my ipad2 and it's a disaster, like you things are very sluggish. Video playback is a huge problem, from everything from websites to the Lego Star Wars game whose video clips no longer play.

I'm actually disappointed in myself for thinking it would be anything but a piece of ****.

A hilarious post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I cant figure it out!! don't they run tests etc before this all goes out:confused::confused:

simple stuff really sure to god they can get a few spare ipads that they have lying about the place and beta test it, 5 mins would tell ya someting isnt right:rolleyes:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

Just installed IOS 8.0.1 as it had downloaded itself to my iPad so I said I'd install it. Sure iT can't be that bad. Oh sweet Jesus. I swear I will never buy an Apple product again. I can't type anything. This has taken me 10 mins just to type a few words. My apps have stopped working, some have stopped updating and my browsers won't work. I hate apple.

Kevg268 wrote: »
    Just installed IOS 8.0.1 as it had downloaded itself to my iPad so I said I'd install it. Sure iT can't be that bad. Oh sweet Jesus. I swear I will never buy an Apple product again. I can't type anything. This has taken me 10 mins just to type a few words. My apps have stopped working, some have stopped updating and my browsers won't work. I hate apple.

Ummmm…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bugler wrote: »

Me too. Do you think they'll issue a fix? Otherwise I'm never buying an apple product again. Am not able to revert to iOS 7 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

that's it I just gave up. tried everything and it is f*cked. So I threw it into the corner of the sitting room n it shall stay there until hopefully there will be a fix. I miss IOS 7.

Me too. Do you think they'll issue a fix? Otherwise I'm never buying an apple product again. Am not able to revert to iOS 7 :mad:

A fix for what ? an idiotic installation of the latest software on to a three and a half year old model ? What on earth did you expect ? Your attitude beggars belief.

Piliger wrote: »
    A fix for what ? an idiotic installation of the latest software on to a three and a half year old model ? What on earth did you expect ? Your attitude beggars belief.

I installed the latest OS and now apple deliberately won't let me undo it. My ipad was 100% fine before, what's wrong with a 3.5 year old model when it works perfect, you think i should just change it every few years for no reason?!

What a dumb post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I installed the latest OS and now apple deliberately won't let me undo it. My ipad was 100% fine before, what's wrong with a 3.5 year old model when it works perfect, you think i should just change it every few years for no reason?!

What a dumb post ;)
    You don't need to change it. You just stop upgrading software at some point. Tbf, it's a decision if expect Apple to make for you by blocking older models from receiving an upgrade. When the backlash if poor performance us worse than not being able to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Working fine on my iphone 5s anyway. Took about 3 hours to install using iTunes from the laptop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Piliger wrote: »
    That is completely unreasonable.

Most people aren't going to know when not to update - they just see an official alert over their settings icon that won't go away. iOS 8 is listed as compatible with iPads going back to the iPad 2. If the update is going to f**k up peoples' devices Apple should either warn them of the potential consequences or stop pushing it to average users who are going to click "Update" every time.

Many people who have older, now slower, devices could be forgiven for hoping the prompted update would improve their experience rather than ruin it. Otherwise why prompt them to update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Dades wrote: »
    That is completely unreasonable.

Most people aren't going to know when not to update - they just see an official alert over their settings icon that won't go away. iOS 8 is listed as compatible with iPads going back to the iPad 2. If the update is going to f**k up peoples' devices Apple should either warn them of the potential consequences or stop pushing it to average users who are going to click "Update" every time.

Many people who have older, now slower, devices could be forgiven for hoping the prompted update would improve their experience rather than ruin it. Otherwise why prompt them to update?

You can't really win can you? If you complain at all then you're an Apple hater. If there is a confirmed mistake the same people, after denying it for ages, dismiss it "oh, well a small percentage of people having an issue is perfectly acceptable". Fwiw I am not particularly fond of Apple's "one iOS fits all" policy. When it destroys older models like this it feels far too much like forced obsolescence.

I like Apple products and am not likely to be moving away any time soon, but genuine question: can they really be immune from criticism when they are developing software for a very limited number of devices, on completely closed and unmodified systems and infrastructures and yet still making fairly sizeable errors?

You can't really win can you? If you complain at all then you're an Apple hater. If there is a confirmed mistake the same people, after denying it for ages, dismiss it "oh, well a small percentage of people having an issue is perfectly acceptable". Fwiw I am not particularly fond of Apple's "one iOS fits all" policy. When it destroys older models like this it feels far too much like forced obsolescence.

I like Apple products and am not likely to be moving away any time soon, but genuine question: can they really be immune from criticism when they are developing software for a very limited number of devices, on completely closed and unmodified systems and infrastructures and yet still making fairly sizeable errors?

Would a simpler solution not be to allow ipad 2 users revert back to IOS 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You have to understand that these bugs excist every year with iOS updates. And people always complain about them, but they're eventually fixed. There's rumours that Apple are moving away from the yearly iOS update schedule. That could result in more of these bugs being fixed, with the updates not being rushed.

If Apple did limit iOS 8 to higher spec devices then people complain, they released it for the lower end models and people complain. It's always going to be slower, but it shouldn't make the device unusable.

I always wonder every year whether people having these problems actually cause them themselves. I always have the usual bugs that are wildly reported and are fixed quick enough, but never the major problems people have. I used an iPhone 4S the other day and it was definitely slower but still working perfectly.

Advertisement