Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Dades wrote: »
    That is completely unreasonable.
    No it's not unreasonable
    Most people aren't going to know when not to update - they just see an official alert over their settings icon that won't go away. iOS 8 is listed as compatible with iPads going back to the iPad 2.
    And it is.
    If the update is going to f**k up peoples' devices Apple should either warn them of the potential consequences or stop pushing it to average users who are going to click "Update" every time.
    You don't describe any fcuk up of your device whatsoever. You simply describe the kind of inevitable slow down ANY electronic device three and a half years old would have when loading the latest software. And the average users is a lot smarter than that. Your response is irrational and totally nonsensical.
    Many people who have older, now slower, devices could be forgiven for hoping the prompted update would improve their experience rather than ruin it. Otherwise why prompt them to update?
    Only completely idiotic people. Most iPhone users are not completely idiotic. They are a lot smarter than that.

brophs wrote: »
    You can't really win can you? If you complain at all then you're an Apple hater.
    Only in your own imagination. The poster concerned did not 'complain'. Based on a slow down of his old device he referred to it as a piece of sh1t. Your response seems to be similarly irrational.
    If there is a confirmed mistake the same people, after denying it for ages, dismiss it "oh, well a small percentage of people having an issue is perfectly acceptable".
    What mistake ? A new OS installed on a three and a half year old device ? Yeah. That is a dumb mistake alright.
    Fwiw I am not particularly fond of Apple's "one iOS fits all" policy. When it destroys older models like this it feels far too much like forced obsolescence.
    There is no one iOS fits all policy. if there is I'd love you to supply a link. Stupid things happen when stupid people do stupid things.
    I like Apple products and am not likely to be moving away any time soon, but genuine question: can they really be immune from criticism when they are developing software for a very limited number of devices, on completely closed and unmodified systems and infrastructures and yet still making fairly sizeable errors?
    Ah the global economic and technical expert speaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Piliger wrote: »
    No it's not unreasonable

And it is.

You don't describe any fcuk up of your device whatsoever. You simply describe the kind of inevitable slow down ANY electronic device three and a half years old would have when loading the latest software. And the average users is a lot smarter than that. Your response is irrational and totally nonsensical.

Only completely idiotic people. Most iPhone users are not completely idiotic. They are a lot smarter than that.

Do you suffer from some mental disorder or disability?

Serious question.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I always wonder every year whether people having these problems actually cause them themselves. I always have the usual bugs that are wildly reported and are fixed quick enough, but never the major problems people have. I used an iPhone 4S the other day and it was definitely slower but still working perfectly.
    I've had every iPhone since the beginning. I've never had anything other than a slight bug and I've helped sort problems on several people's devices with simple fixes. Most people with serious problems screw up their updates. yes there have been some minor bugs in the iOS over the years but none more than any other software company in the world, and they get fixed very quickly. In our office we have 4s and 4Ss and they are running 8.1 perfectly well. If you hold them up against a 6 of course they are fractions of a second slower. But it doesn't have any real life effect on anyone except the terminally challenged. I have never met anyone so stupid as to put a brand new OS on a model several years old without doing a bit of research first. Thankfully the vast majority of people have some common sense, hence the stunning success of the iPhone all across the world. But you can never satisfy some weird people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No it's not unreasonable

Ah here now. WTF! That kind of elitist nonsense is complete and utter garbage.

The iPhone is a mass market consumer device that sells by the gazillions. I would comfortably guess that only a small percentage of iPhone users even read forums like this and/or know anything much about the iOS it's running on. To say that ALL iPhone users know all the ins and outs and pitfalls of the software it's running on or worship Apple is absolute bull crap.

And I say this as a fan of the devices myself. But a bit of realism is needed here... lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think your being a bit over the top Pliger. There's a lot of users of iOS and I know a good few who aren't experts on technology. They use the iPhone for the simplicity part and don't want to mess around with settings to fix problems.

I'd imagine a lot of people update without reading up first, it's an official update from Apple, why not run it?

Saying that I'd imagine apps and stuff from other updates are the reasons people have so many problems. I'd say a hard restart or if not restoring from a backup would fix these problems. Apple have sometimes mentioned in release notes that it can run slower on specific devices. AFAIK they didn't do that this time.

Do you suffer from some mental disorder or disability?

Serious question.

Only when I read your contributions. Serious answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Less of the trading insults lads. Serious warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A fix for what ? an idiotic installation of the latest software on to a three and a half year old model ? What on earth did you expect ? Your attitude beggars belief.

this attitude beggars belief - not everyone wants to or has the money to upgrade to Apple's releases - I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 , and none of the app upgrades work , eats up memory , and wish I handed upgraded . Besides you are alerted to upgrade on phone and when you connect through the cumbersome iTunes functionality. I am a fan of earlier Apple products , especially the Mac, but there software upgrading and quality has deteriorated in recent years - they'd want to sort it out fast before the loose there many dedicated followers of fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No it's not unreasonable

And it is.

That's rubbish. And I am so much an Apple fan that I am referred to by my siblings as "fanboy". If Apple release an OTA update to the iPad 2 or any device it should run well enough for normal use. Expecting millions of users to not update is stupid. There's a badge on the settings or it is automatic.

In any case I think Apple should decouple iOS and hardware releases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Release it on new devices first. Then optimise for older devices turning features off if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

; Stupid things happen when stupid people do stupid things.
    Jesus Piliger, will you give it a rest FFS. Not everybody is as bright and clued in as you. Bottom line, if an update is going to have a negative impact on an older device then Apple should either warn users or not push to said device(s). You should really stop referring to those who in many cases update assuming some form of improvement, either performance or aesthetic, as idiots.

Only when I read your contributions. Serious answer.

You're obviously in a minority of 1 here :cool:

thebaz wrote: »
    this attitude beggars belief - not everyone wants to or has the money to upgrade to Apple's releases - I upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8 , and none of the app upgrades work , eats up memory , and wish I handed upgraded . Besides you are alerted to upgrade on phone and when you connect through the cumbersome iTunes functionality. I am a fan of earlier Apple products , especially the Mac, but there software upgrading and quality has deteriorated in recent years - they'd want to sort it out fast before the loose there many dedicated followers of fashion.

Yeah if they don't fix this I'll never buy an apple product again. Only have an iPad 2 anyway so when it needs replacing I'll get an android one, plenty of alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

To be fair, an iPad 2 is three and a half years old now. It's had a good run but it's probably time to upgrade. I suspect any Android device the same age on the newest software won't be an amazing user experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It really is a comically bad release. Even though I am a victim of it, I can only laugh. Like many others, I'll most likely look to move away from Apple when I next change phone/tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Only in your own imagination. The poster concerned did not 'complain'. Based on a slow down of his old device he referred to it as a piece of sh1t. Your response seems to be similarly irrational.
    What mistake ? A new OS installed on a three and a half year old device ? Yeah. That is a dumb mistake alright.

There is no one iOS fits all policy. if there is I'd love you to supply a link. Stupid things happen when stupid people do stupid things.

Ah the global economic and technical expert speaks.
    Probably easiest for me to pop you on ignore so I don't have to read your mindless nonsense again.

Cheerio.

Zcott wrote: »
    To be fair, an iPad 2 is three and a half years old now. It's had a good run but it's probably time to upgrade. I suspect any Android device the same age on the newest software won't be an amazing user experience.

But why upgrade? If it worked perfectly on ios7 only a week ago why should I be forced to upgrade and line the apple coffers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

But why upgrade? If it worked perfectly on ios7 only a week ago why should I be forced to upgrade and line the apple coffers.

I'd say wait for the bug fixes to be released to sort some of your problems. The 8.0.2 fixed a few for me but there's still 2 or 3 left to sort. Like they did with the iPhone 4 last year they'll probably have a bugfix to optimise the update for the iPad 2.

Embedded videos in boards threads no longer play on my ipad2. If they don't fix this in the next week I'll never buy an apple device again the cvnts :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

So along with my still existing previous problems I have two more frustrating ones to add
    1- Bluetooth doesn't work wth my car anymore
    2- deleted emails, deleted apps are no longer deleted once I unlock the phone again :rolleyes:

Eta: autocorrect is more irritating too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Embedded videos in boards threads no longer play on my ipad2. If they don't fix this in the next week I'll never buy an apple device again the cvnts :(

They don't work for me on an iPad Air on 8.0.2, so it's not just you and your device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

My 5s has started to crash an awful lot more since iOS 8, just random crashes from apps and I haven't been able to replicate them so no idea what could be causing them. Downloaded swiftkey but can't seem to get it to work correctly, I've done all the steps its told me to and sometimes I'll get Swiftkey as my keyboard but a lot of the time I'll still have the default Apple keyboard, this happens almost always when I use Whatsapp. Not a huge deal as I don't mind the default keyboard that much but pretty crap considering it was a major selling point of iOS 8.

Overall, not too impressed with iOS 8, the Widgets are especially pointless. I've got The Guardian App, ESPN sportscenter and Yahoo Weather as widgets and really don't see the point. In the time it takes for me to pull down the notification drawer, scroll past the Guardian stories and see the scores from Sportscenter I would have been quicker to just tap the app icon. The Weather one is the only useful one I've come across. Are there some apps that I don't have that have good widgets or is that basically it?

I'm still on 7.1.2 and am half considering staying there. Wasn't really impressed with 8.0 when I had it and used the option to downgrade while I still could. I must admit, however, that the badge on my Settings app is bugging me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm still on 7.1.2 and am half considering staying there. Wasn't really impressed with 8.0 when I had it and used the option to downgrade while I still could. I must admit, however, that the badge on my Settings app is bugging me. :pac:
    You lucky git. I missed the window by 3hrs. I was surprised that apple stopped signing 7.1.2 so quickly considering the issues with their new baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Is there anyway I can go back to ios 7 now?

Ipad 2. The worst update that I can remember.

Is there anyway I can go back to ios 7 now?

Ipad 2. The worst update that I can remember.

No it's impossible, unless Apple chnage their mind or fix the latest os

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I wonder has anyone else come across this issue: I'm experiencing an annoying bug with iMessage coming from my girlfriends phone. I have an iPhone 6, she has my old iPhone 5S. Some times when I receive a message from her it will be shown in a separate/second thread from her in Messages.

Whats happening is initially I will be iMessaging her mobile number which will be 1 thread, and then randomly a message she sends will come from her apple id email address and will create a separate thread for it. I have set up iMessage on her phone to send from her mobile number by default, and have recently turned off allowing messages to come from the apple id email but it is still happening.

Both phones were set up as new, and I have tried turning iMessage on/off but it hasn't appeared to fix it. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm unsure if it's a bug with iOS 8 or something to do with her apple id/settings. At least if someone else has this problem or has heard of it I'll know it's not just me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would have assumed the opposite of what you initially suspected: she's occasionally sending messages to your email address instead of your number. I actually have iMessages set to only accept messages sent to my number to prevent this. I see no need for email addresses to be tied to iMessage/FaceTime anymore now that Apple allow sending from your mobile number from iPads and Macs, but I guess it's there for people who don't own an iPhone.

You'll also need to delete any existing threads on both phones that were using email addresses.

Advertisement