Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Yeah I understand what your saying. I'll try turning of all email addresses linked with our accounts. Its strange as I used to have the email addresses left on for iMessage before, and it worked fine. Sure I'll give it a shot and see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

My 5s has started to crash an awful lot more since iOS 8, just random crashes from apps and I haven't been able to replicate them so no idea what could be causing them. Downloaded swiftkey but can't seem to get it to work correctly, I've done all the steps its told me to and sometimes I'll get Swiftkey as my keyboard but a lot of the time I'll still have the default Apple keyboard, this happens almost always when I use Whatsapp. Not a huge deal as I don't mind the default keyboard that much but pretty crap considering it was a major selling point of iOS 8.

Overall, not too impressed with iOS 8, the Widgets are especially pointless. I've got The Guardian App, ESPN sportscenter and Yahoo Weather as widgets and really don't see the point. In the time it takes for me to pull down the notification drawer, scroll past the Guardian stories and see the scores from Sportscenter I would have been quicker to just tap the app icon. The Weather one is the only useful one I've come across. Are there some apps that I don't have that have good widgets or is that basically it?

My 5s has been pretty stable, except the keyboard stuff that does seem a bit mixed up still.
    As for the widgets well that's basically it, I've had androids on and off and honestly found widgets pretty pointless back then too. The only one I'd end up using was, you guessed it, the weather widget.

I also updated my ipad 2, it was horrific at first and I was going to downgrade but left it too late.
    But it has now improved and is not too far off what it is was before.
    For a while I was pressing the home button and having to wait 10 seconds for it wake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dloob wrote: »
    My 5s has been pretty stable, except the keyboard stuff that does seem a bit mixed up still.
    As for the widgets well that's basically it, I've had androids on and off and honestly found widgets pretty pointless back then too. The only one I'd end up using was, you guessed it, the weather widget.

I also updated my ipad 2, it was horrific at first and I was going to downgrade but left it too late.
    But it has now improved and is not too far off what it is was before.
    For a while I was pressing the home button and having to wait 10 seconds for it wake up.

It seems to be mostly facebook that's crashing for me and when I open a link in app which launches safari. Used android as well but found the widgets much more useful, for example having my emails or live scores in a widget is a lot handier than pull down the notification drawer and scroll to find something relevant. The notification drawer in general is still very poor on iOS IMO.

Glad to hear the iPad is getting better performance. I've a 2012 nexus 7 and it's unusable at times, very annoyed about it, will be going for an iPad soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Posted in wrong forums. Oops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have rotation issues. Sometimes something will rotate (pic, website etc) and it will simply not rotate back. I have to shut the app down and go back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Is there anyway to revert back to ios 7? Ios 8 is messing up everyone's phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

kceire wrote: »
    I have rotation issues. Sometimes something will rotate (pic, website etc) and it will simply not rotate back. I have to shut the app down and go back in.

I have been having this very issue I'm finding iOS 8 to be very very buggy random crashes, home screen locking up, calls dropping, hands free not working. Very surprised with this iOS its predecessors never gave me problems at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

According to Flipboard, they expect ios8.1 on the 20th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'm having rotation issues too. Sometimes not rotating. Also anyone having issues opening embedded YouTube videos? Say on boards.ie when clicking the play button on video nothing happens. Also getting random crashes of safari. Surprised such a bug riddled version was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm having rotation issues too. Sometimes not rotating. Also anyone having issues opening embedded YouTube videos? Say on boards.ie when clicking the play button on video nothing happens. Also getting random crashes of safari. Surprised such a bug riddled version was released.

Yeah the rotation is a known problem. It does work, but you need to rotate and back again to get it to switch. It's definately broken.

The embedded videos still play, just click anywhere on the video, other than the play button. That will play the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

8.0.2 won't play embedded videos but 8.0 did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Zcott wrote: »
    8.0.2 won't play embedded videos but 8.0 did.

I have found, for some reason. The touch target for embedded videos has moved down a bit. I press just bellow the play button in the middle of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Since updating to IOS8, I cant ind any on my devices on iTunes wireless, even though the Router shows them connected to the network...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can you not even install iOS 7 if you get the .ispw file and do the SHIFT-Restore thing in iTunes?

Not having any problems myself just curious.

Dades wrote: »
    Can you not even install iOS 7 if you get the .ispw file and do the SHIFT-Restore thing in iTunes?

Not having any problems myself just curious.

No, when Apple stop signing the firmware you just get an error along the lines of "this device is not eligible for the requested build".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Can't download ios 8 for iphone (4s) It starts downloading on itunes but says it will take 24 hours or more and I get an error after a few minutes. I downloaded it for ipad last week on same machine (mac mini). I think the first try or two it was the same, saying 24 hours or more but then i tried again and it downloaded in a few minutes. Have tried it several times, just doing it now and it says unknown error 9006. I'll go googling.

Can't download ios 8 for iphone (4s) It starts downloading on itunes but says it will take 24 hours or more and I get an error after a few minutes. I downloaded it for ipad last week on same machine (mac mini). I think the first try or two it was the same, saying 24 hours or more but then i tried again and it downloaded in a few minutes. Have tried it several times, just doing it now and it says unknown error 9006. I'll go googling.

Try downloading it from here and doing a shift+restore:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-08309.20140925.c8iFQ/iPhone4,1_8.0.2_12A405_Restore.ipsw

But since you have a 4S, going to iOS 8 might not be a good idea. Cripples the phone from what I've heard.

Karsini wrote: »
    Try downloading it from here and doing a shift+restore:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-08309.20140925.c8iFQ/iPhone4,1_8.0.2_12A405_Restore.ipsw

But since you have a 4S, going to iOS 8 might not be a good idea. Cripples the phone from what I've heard.

What website is that? Apple support or something? I'm sure you're being straight up but don't want to go clicking on something i'm not sure about. Could you tell me what it is?
    As you suggested, i'll see what people are saying about 8 on the 4s. The phone is flying so I suppose there is no particular need for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What website is that? Apple support or something? I'm sure you're being straight up but don't want to go clicking on something i'm not sure about. Could you tell me what it is?
    As you suggested, i'll see what people are saying about 8 on the 4s. The phone is flying so I suppose there is no particular need for the moment.

It's an official Apple link so you should be safe. Redmond Pie usually has guides up with download links too if you're still not sure.

• Advertisement

appldnld.apple.com is the official Apple download site for iOS firmware. Don't worry, I'm not the type to be posting malware.

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's an official Apple link so you should be safe. Redmond Pie usually has guides up with download links too if you're still not sure.

Ok. Just did some googling and even if I do upgrade to 8 many people are reporting slowdowns. Going to leave it a while or maybe 7 is as far as I will go with this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement