Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's dowloaded and you can't get rid of the podcast app it appears. Christ sake.

you can get rid of podcast icon by disabling podcasts. go to settings>restrictions>podcasts & toggle it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

My update was a disaster. Was sat at the laptop at 6, iPhone and iPad updates were slow to download, due to the high numbers downloading. iPhone update went fine, iPad threw up error message right at the end of install. Then I couldn't restore from backup, tried an older backup and same error message. Ended up scrapping both and setting up as new devices! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

What was the error at the end of restoring? Could be related to servers being hammered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Zcott wrote: »
    What was the error at the end of restoring? Could be related to servers being hammered...

It was a restore error. Along the lines of could not restore because either the backup was corrupt or it was not compatible. I tried an older backup so I don't think neither of those were corrupt. I think it was down to the backup being done before I updated while on iOS 7, which then couldn't be restored because the iPad had updated to iOS 8. I couldn't find a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

The update is pretty subtle for the casual user such as myself.

Obviously it is not the earth shattering change that apple would have you believe but I'd imagine that we will be using the updated features seamlessly pretty soon which I suppose is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

New custom keyboards; can anyone recommend a good one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

grizzly wrote: »
    New custom keyboards; can anyone recommend a good one?

Swiftkey is good and free.

Also Swype is 89 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Updated 5S last night, incredibly sluggish since the update. Double tapping the home button to see other apps requires 2-3 mins before i can touch anything.

iMessage also not working, saying there's no connectivity.

Also, how on earth does Healthbook work!?

Disappointing so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Photo stream and camera roll now lumped together. At the moment it seems like a disaster. I liked being able to delete stuff from my camera roll and leave it in my photo stream or vice versa but now it seems when you delete it it is gone from both. I can't see the logic of changing a perfectly working system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

How is this working for people on a plain iPhone 5? dont want my phone to become unsable like the iPhone 4 was after IOS7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

All my old camera roll photos now moved to "collections". There's a new "recently added" folder for photos you take. Don't like that change at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

cronin_j wrote: »
    How is this working for people on a plain iPhone 5? dont want my phone to become unsable like the iPhone 4 was after IOS7

Working fine on iPhone 5 for me,no issues at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Got it downloaded. Dont like that predictive "3 word" message banner while texting. Might try one of the other keyboards.

Underwhelmed.

Why the f*** do I still have to swipe to answer a call ???!!! What a PITA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

dodzy wrote: »
    Got it downloaded. Dont like that predictive "3 word" message banner while texting. Might try one of the other keyboards.

Underwhelmed.

Why the f*** do I still have to swipe to answer a call ???!!! What a PITA.

You can turn off the prediction in settings-general-keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Vudgie wrote: »
    The update is pretty subtle for the casual user such as myself.

Obviously it is not the earth shattering change that apple would have you believe but I'd imagine that we will be using the updated features seamlessly pretty soon which I suppose is a good sign.

It's got a lot under the hood which will become visible as you download new apps etc.

That said you can't expect yearly updates to change things radically every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Updated 5S last night, incredibly sluggish since the update. Double tapping the home button to see other apps requires 2-3 mins before i can touch anything.

iMessage also not working, saying there's no connectivity.

Also, how on earth does Healthbook work!?

Disappointing so far!

Something seriously wrong there, probably a run away process. Reboot early and often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Brianthedog

updated my IPad and lost all my photos - cheers apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Did you do a backup first to iCloud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

That predictive texting thing is annoying. Is it removable?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have you checked albums and the collections tab. My photos are gone from my album but in the collections tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hows it going for you 4S users? Haven't downloaded myself yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

safari running much faster. Full screen photos back at last for incoming calls!

Everything seems to be running smoothly so far on iphone 5s and ipad air, except Spotlight, which is a bit sluggish trying to return to the home screen after pulling it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

iPhone 5 is sluggish with crashing apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Only real problem I came across so far was Airplay... It took me a while to get it working lastnight after I updated the iPad.

When playing a video, the Airplay icon seems to have been removed from where it used to be (next to the play/rewind/ff buttons). It seems you have to swipe up to get to the "control center" to switch airplay on/off. Also, the volume control on the iPad stopped working, I had to go into settings and re-enable some volume setting under "Sounds".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Updated my 5S last night around 10pm OTA. It took roughly 1hr from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

I thought this update was gettin Apple pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I thought this update was gettin Apple pay

Only the 6 & 6+ have the necessary hardware for Apple pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

guil wrote: »
    You can turn off the prediction in settings-general-keyboard.
    Cheers guil, yeah, turned it off as soon as I tried it. Useless. Original offering was better, which still remains on. Just annoyed me that it was in my face after update.
    greenman09 wrote: »
    That predictive texting thing is annoying. Is it removable?
    As guil has pointed out, Settings>General>keyboard>predictive tab to OFF

Also, I had noticed that Fingerprint unlock needed to be re-educated frequently before the update (had not always been the case but crept in after 7.1.1 I think). Lets see if its any better..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

is it possible to download ios8 without the phone connected to the pc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

surpy wrote: »
    is it possible to download ios8 without the phone connected to the pc?

Yes just select software update in settings you must have at least 50% battery remaining to do it OTA don't forget to turn on your wifi.

Advertisement