Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just updated iTunes and rebooted (what a PITA) and it's crashing. Yay.

iOS8 installed fine last night over wifi now I just can't get my music back on. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

sorry, meant download to pc. i have itunes running here and want to download the software so it can be installed later

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭snypers12

Anybody else unimpressed with ios 8 or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Something seriously wrong there, probably a run away process. Reboot early and often.

Spent the morning on the phone to Apple support - looking like the new iOS didn't mount correctly.

Have to row back to iOS7 and try again. Agent said that a lot of people on 5/5S having same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

snypers12 wrote: »
    Anybody else unimpressed with ios 8 or is it just me?

Photos - Photos and iCloud Photo Library give you access to all your photos, anytime, anywhere. Your photos are easy to find and organized consistently across your devices. Photos has all-new editing tools for adjusting light, color, and more, and the ability to use third-party editing tools.

Messages - Use Tap to Talk in Messages to share your voice with just a swipe. And send photos and videos using the same simple gesture. Group messages lets you add and remove contacts, leave a conversation, and turn on Do Not Disturb. Share your current location from within Messages.

Health - The new Health app gathers information you choose from your health apps and fitness devices, and provides you with an overview. HealthKit APIs give health and fitness apps the ability to communicate with each other, giving you a better way to manage your health.

QuickType - The new QuickType keyboard includes predictive text, which understands how you communicate and provides personalized suggestions, so you can write entire sentences with just a few taps. iOS 8 also allows developers to create keyboards for system-wide use.

Family Sharing - Family Sharing lets up to six family members share purchases from iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store without sharing accounts. Use the same credit card and approve kids’ spending from a parent’s device. Easily share photos,a family calendar, and more.

iCloud Drive - Safely store documents of any type in iCloud so you can access and work on them across your devices. Your apps can now share files so you can work on the same file across multiple apps. No more making copies or importing documents from one app to another.

Spotlight - iOS 8 extends Spotlight’s capabilities to give you suggestions beyond what’s on your device, including information from Wikipedia, news, and nearby places.

Continuity - Your iPhone, iPad, and Mac work better together with Handoff to start an activity on one device and finish on another, the ability to make and receive calls and send SMS/MMS messages from all devices, and the ability to create an Instant Hotspot.

Some nice stuff there so I am quite impressed as I can use all of these features now!

I really don't know what people were expecting. more new features there than when we went from iOS 6 to iOs 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

All third party keyboards are shocking at the moment

One sends blank tweets even though I type into the textfield.
    One doesn't have its main feature enabled on iPad mini.
    One you have to allow full access to give you predictive text.

All have to have an app on the springboard.

Deleted them all, what a **** user experience, it will be hard for me to try others now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don't mean to be a party pooper...

I updated my 5s And iPad 3 and it went as smooth as ever for me. :o

flexcon wrote: »
    Continuity - Your iPhone, iPad, and Mac work better together with Handoff to start an activity on one device and finish on another, the ability to make and receive calls and send SMS/MMS messages from all devices, and the ability to create an Instant Hotspot.

Whilst I agree with all you said, how are you using this feature when it's not supported until Yosemite is out in October. Even if you're in the public beta it's unfair to list it as it's not ready for public use.

Also health app isn't on the iPad wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I was using Skype on the iPad last night.

Got a call on my iPhone and it cut off the Skype video call by displaying the incoming call on the ipad.

Head wrecking.

Got a call on my iPhone and it cut off the Skype video call by displaying the incoming call on the ipad.

Head wrecking.
    Yup I feel the same way when I use Skype :pac:

Use FaceTime or for green bubble friends Google hangouts

• Advertisement

Head wrecking.

Speaking of which. Continuity, does it only work with AirDrop enabled devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Whilst I agree with all you said, how are you using this feature when it's not supported until Yosemite is out in October. Even if you're in the public beta it's unfair to list it as it's not ready for public use.

Also health app isn't on the iPad wtf?

Sorry the wording of this "now" could have been scripted better.

I really mean in the imminent release. I know my daily life and it will aid and make it better.

Yup I feel the same way when I use Skype :pac:

Use FaceTime or for green bubble friends Google hangouts

No can do, Facetime not available on Windows PCs.

Person I'm calling doesn't have a clue what Google hangouts is :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm on iPhone 5 and no issues with update. Phone feels slightly faster, especially Safari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

5S updated with no problems.
    Liking that safari finally has a lastpass extension and with touch id authentication too.
    Haven't tried any third party keyboards yet, didn't like the look of any in the app store.
    Suggestions in the default one are handy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Some nifty additions, including:

- Send Last Location: Settings=> iCloud=>Find My iPhone=>Send Last Location sends the last known device location to iCloud before your battery dies. Useful if phone is lost or stolen.

- Battery Hogging App Percentage: Settings=>General=>Usage=>Battery Usage shows a list the %age of battery used by individual apps.

- Facetime Call Waiting allows you to accept (end the call you're in & accept new call) or reject a Facetime call when on another call.

dloob wrote: »
    5S updated with no problems.
    Liking that safari finally has a lastpass extension and with touch id authentication too.

Whats the last pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Updated during the night with no issues. I don't see the big deal, couple of small useful features but nothing worth shouting about. I've tried the Swype keyboard (€0.89) after hearing so many reviews about it, but can't get to grips with it at all.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Updated during the night with no issues. I don't see the big deal, couple of small useful features but nothing worth shouting about. I've tried the Swype keyboard (€0.89) after hearing so many reviews about it, but can't get to grips with it at all.

Can ya use emoji with Swype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

snypers12 wrote: »
    Whats the last pass?

It's a password manager I use.
    It has plugins for the desktop browsers and some android browsers but on iOS you had to copy and paste things from its app into the browser, now you can add it's extension to safari and have it fill the fields for you.

I almost forgot one thing I don't like too much, the new look for control centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Anybody try putting this on a 3rd gen iPad yet?

Tim76 wrote: »
    Anybody try putting this on a 3rd gen iPad yet?

I have. Works great. It fixed a couple of issues I had. Like wifi slow to wake up or not waking up. And the curser not appearing on boards unless I dismissed the keyboard first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I installed the update through iTunes and an iPhone 5 and iPad Air. Setup both devices as new and spent the night setting up both. Everything seems to be working fine for me. It seems a little quick on the iPad for things like launching safari, bringing up multitasking etc.

I knew that SMS from the continuity feature was missing but I didn't realise they also dropped the iCloud Photo Library. I'm confused by the photos app now, my photostream is basically gone, now only showing a few photos from the last 4 weeks or so under 'Recent Photos'. I used it as a backup feature so it's not a big deal, but I can't get my head around what's going on with the photos app now. What happened to storing all photos in iCloud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi folks, can somebody check something out for me ?

I find the search function from text messages very handy. Normally at the top of the MESSAGE screen, you can search by word through previous texts. However, this aint working on any messages received before the upgrade. All messages are there, but search function shows blank, again, only on messages received after the update.

Maybe restore from backup ?

DubDJ wrote: »
    ... I didn't realise they also dropped the iCloud Photo Library. I'm confused by the photos app now, my photostream is basically gone, now only showing a few photos from the last 4 weeks or so under 'Recent Photos'. I used it as a backup feature so it's not a big deal, but I can't get my head around what's going on with the photos app now. What happened to storing all photos in iCloud?
    This has me totally confused also. It seems like a step backwards or at least not at all user friendly.

dodzy wrote: »

I find the search function from text messages very handy. Normally at the top of the MESSAGE screen, you can search by word through previous texts. However, this aint working on any messages received before the upgrade. All messages are there, but search function shows blank, again, only on messages received after the update.

Its working for me on older messages

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone installed it on the iPad 2?. I very hesitant to do it given how bad ios7 runs on it

dodzy wrote: »

Yea, same here. Search only giving results for messages received after update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

faceman wrote: »
    Has anyone installed it on the iPad 2?. I very hesitant to do it given how bad ios7 runs on it

Then don't do it ! That may sound trite ... but there is no compulsion. The improvements and changes are incremental and the Health Check and fingerprint scan functions are not available to the iPad (as far as I know). So just sit on v7 and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Yea, same here. Search only giving results for messages received after update.

Cheers cushie, I'll restore from backup when I get home. Hope that sorts it

Advertisement