Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    Hi folks, can somebody check something out for me ?

I find the search function from text messages very handy. Normally at the top of the MESSAGE screen, you can search by word through previous texts. However, this aint working on any messages received before the upgrade. All messages are there, but search function shows blank, again, only on messages received after the update.

Maybe restore from backup ?

UPDATE: restoration from last backup ( that was done automatically before upgrade on itunes ) has solved the issue.

Spotlight now functioning again on all pre-update messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Where have all the photos that were in Photo Stream (which has now disappeared) gone???

You need to go to the Photos tab rather than the Albums tab to view them now. I don't like it.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Fantastic.... SwiftKey is now in the App Store, and it's free.
    Installed this but cant seem to get it to show up when in messages. Just the regular keyboard. Ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Installed this but cant seem to get it to show up when in messages. Just the regular keyboard. Ideas ?
    (When you see the keyboard) press the globe at bottom left to switch between keyboards.
    I changed the colour of my swift kb to black while the regular is white so I can keep track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Hi all,

I am having an iCloud backup issue.

I got a warning to tell me that the latest backup could not be completed because I do not have sufficient free storage within iCloud.

I pay for 20GB. The backup of my iPhone (only device) is 12GB. It is saying I need another 4GB to backup. Is it because it wants to do a full 12GB backup again of the same phone?

What should I do? Delete the existing backup and let it upload everything again?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm finding the new update has noticeably slowed down performance on the iPad 3. Safari is much, much slower. It took my iPad nearly fifteen minutes to connect to the Wi-Fi network also.

I like the Swype keyboard but again it feels slow compared to the experience of Swype on Android.

If you have an iPad3 I wouldn't bother upgrading, the slowdown isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

biko wrote: »
    (When you see the keyboard) press the globe at bottom left to switch between keyboards.
    I changed the colour of my swift kb to black while the regular is white so I can keep track.

You can set the order of keyboards so that the swiftly one appears first, then if you press the globe the apple one appears. Found in settings->general->keyboards, and click 'edit' to change the order

Thanks, I just deleted the others so only swift is available. It's the only one I use since I found it for android when I had one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thanks, I just deleted the others so only swift is available. It's the only one I use since I found it for android when I had one of those.

I tested it myself. I found it utter sh1te and it seems to be to be all hype. Back to Apple's which is way way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Problem i'm finding with SwiftKey is it just takes up too much space on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Problem i'm finding with SwiftKey is it just takes up too much space on the screen.

Steve Jobs solution: Buy an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus.

Doh! Cheers Biko. Jury is out on the swype. Initial impressions are ok though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

I had battery draining issues when I first installed it, but it seems to have settled down now. I disabled background app refresh for all apps, not sure if this made a difference or not. I'm back to my pre iOS 8 poor iPhone 5 battery life.

Overall I like the changes. I really like the predictive text, I reckon it'll save me a lot of time. I installed swiftkey and deleted it straight away, terrible app.
    I don't like the recent contacts on the app manager. I think it's completely pointless and clogs up the screen. I can't see myself using it at all. Might look better on iphone 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can disable recent contacts in settings

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

guil wrote: »
    You can disable recent contacts in settings

Thanks, didn't know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Does anyone know how to get the keyboard sounds to work with swift key? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Search in text messages doesn't work anymore. Or it's only searching text messages since the upgrade. Annoying

Search in text messages doesn't work anymore. Or it's only searching text messages since the upgrade. Annoying
    See post #123 above ;) Wrecked my head too. One of the best functions on the phone IMO.

Lockster wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to get the keyboard sounds to work with swift key? Thanks
    iOS8 offering is lagging way behind its android brother. Only 2 themes with no keyboard optimisation (clicking, etc), but I'm sure it will come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

See post #123 above ;) Wrecked my head too. One of the best functions on the phone IMO.

I'm on iOS8 now.

So backing up my phone via iTunes and then restoring it should fix it?

Bit of a pain to get a new feature working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Has anyone installed on an iphone 4S yet? I've done it on my 5 but holding off on the wife's 4s until I know that it will run ok.

From online reviews do not upgrade a 4s, it doesn't have the hardware to support ios8 properly.

www.google.ie/search?q=ios+8+4s
    iOS 8 was not made for us 4S users. It was designed for bigger screens than the 4S has. And that's the least of our worries. Ars Technica did some experimenting and found that iOS 8 slows the 4S down significantly. It takes an iPhone 4S 2.16 seconds to launch Safari in iOS 8, vs. 1.25 seconds in iOS 7.1.2. Launching the calendar takes 1.25 seconds with iOS 8 instead of 0.8 seconds in 7.1.2. Not cool.

If it'll be anything like iOS 7 on an iPhone 4, don't do it!

Works fine for me.

Karsini wrote: »
    If it'll be anything like iOS 7 on an iPhone 4, don't do it!

We have iOS7 on iphone 4s in our office and they work fine.

Piliger wrote: »
    We have iOS7 on iphone 4s in our office and they work fine.

I felt like it crippled mine when I had it.

Karsini wrote: »
    I felt like it crippled mine when I had it.

Did you go through a reset up from fresh ? Bad things can happen to software just by chance.

I'm on iOS8 now.

So backing up my phone via iTunes and then restoring it should fix it?

Bit of a pain to get a new feature working.
    no. When you upgraded, an auto backup would have taken place. Just go to restore from backup and chose the time stamped backup that corresponds to the same time you upgraded iOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

If you're on iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPod touch 5th gen, or iPad mini; do not update to iOS 8 yet, opening apps is slower compared to iOS 7.1. I'd say wait a couple of months first, unless there are iOS 8 specific features which you absolutely want to use. It's not as bad as iPhone 4 on iOS 7, but there is a noticeable difference after updating to iOS 8 on those A5 devices.

Advertisement