Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ios 8 ?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

dodzy wrote: »
    no. When you upgraded, an auto backup would have taken place. Just go to restore from backup and chose the time stamped backup that corresponds to the same time you upgraded iOS.

How the heck is someone supposed to know to do this to get a feature working. Woeful from Apple.

Ive had iOS now for 2 days, i'll have to backup and restore again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

makoten wrote: »
    If you're on iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPod touch 5th gen, or iPad mini; do not update to iOS 8 yet, opening apps is slower compared to iOS 7.1. I'd say wait a couple of months first, unless there are iOS 8 specific features which you absolutely want to use. It's not as bad as iPhone 4 on iOS 7, but there is a noticeable difference after updating to iOS 8 on those A5 devices.

This is simply not true. The 4 and 4S in our office are working absolutely fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How the heck is someone supposed to know to do this to get a feature working. Woeful from Apple.

Ive had iOS now for 2 days, i'll have to backup and restore again.

You are not supposed to know to do this. It's a bug. Wait for it to be fixed in an future update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

You are not supposed to know to do this. It's a bug. Wait for it to be fixed in an future update.

Search works on my text messages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Search works on my text messages.

And on mine. But people are reporting it so it must be issue with some devices. There's probably an easier way of getting it to work again without restoring that no one has figured out yet. If it was me I'd have exhausted every possibility but restoring is often the simplest solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Piliger wrote: »
    This is simply not true. The 4 and 4S in our office are working absolutely fine.

Working fine doesn't mean they're working as efficiently as before. A quick Google search with 'iPhone 4S iOS 8' and you'll find several websites listing the issues. Of course, if you only use your devices for phone calls, web browsing or checking emails, it doesn't really make a difference what iOS version you're using.

I know it's a bug. Hence the woeful comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The 'Battery Usage' thing is kind of useless don't you think. Surprisingly the apps I use the most are the ones that have used up the most battery.

makoten wrote: »
    Working fine doesn't mean they're working as efficiently as before. A quick Google search with 'iPhone 4S iOS 8' and you'll find several websites listing the issues. Of course, if you only use your devices for phone calls, web browsing or checking emails, it doesn't really make a difference what iOS version you're using.

I don't buy this. We use the phones for every conceivable use and I've seen them perform as well as they did before the upgrade.
    When you search the web you find claims of problems for every possible issue. People have problems with 5s with 4s and soon it'll be 6s. It means nothing much.

Piliger wrote: »
    I don't buy this. We use the phones for every conceivable use and I've seen them perform as well as they did before the upgrade.
    When you search the web you find claims of problems for every possible issue. People have problems with 5s with 4s and soon it'll be 6s. It means nothing much.

I know several other people who experienced severe slowdowns with iOS 7 on the iPhone 4. iOS 7.1 improved things to some extent, one of my friends said that she "doesn't hate her phone anymore" since she installed 7.1, and it was even mentioned in the changelog for 7.1.

• Advertisement

The 'Battery Usage' thing is kind of useless don't you think. Surprisingly the apps I use the most are the ones that have used up the most battery.

It also points out apps that are running in the background or using location services. It's a handy picture of your overall app usage. Although I think it would be more useful if the app usage was from the last full charge rather than the last 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Is there a way of turning off 3G ? I managed to get an hour out of my iPhone 5 on the way home from work, would be great to get more than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Is there a way of turning off 3G ? I managed to get an hour out of my iPhone 5 on the way home from work, would be great to get more than this.

Tuen off Cellular Data in General Settings

Is there a way of turning off 3G ?

Ya, but you have to restore your phone from a recent backup. :cool:

Turn on Airport Mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

19 hours for this update on wired connection is that the norm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hootanany wrote: »
    19 hours for this update on wired connection is that the norm?

how fast is your internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Worth remembring that Apple's servers will be taking a hammering over the next few days as people set up their new phones and do iCloud restores, etc.

I downloaded the IPSW for iOS 8 and did a shift+restore. Took several attempts to get the file and had to pause and resume it on several occasions to keep it moving. Got there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mad muffin wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Noticing a lot of battery drain since the update was installed on my IPad

Would anybody recommend resetting back to factory condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

mad muffin wrote: »

120 g FIBRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

120 g FIBRE

He asked about your internet not what you had for breakfast :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

120 g FIBRE

That's a big lump of weetibix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Upgraded today.

All messaging apps like whatsapp, Viber etc are now borked for sending any photos or videos that aren't recent. Bit pissed off with that as it takes away a lot of the good that was in the upgrade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Upgraded today.

All messaging apps like whatsapp, Viber etc are now borked for sending any photos or videos that aren't recent. Bit pissed off with that as it takes away a lot of the good that was in the upgrade.

That's not normal. Try doing a restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

faceman wrote: »
    That's not normal. Try doing a restore.

It's a bug / poor feature unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

HTTP form upload is broken in MobileSafari
    http://blog.uploadcare.com/post/97884147203/you-cannot-upload-files-to-a-server-using-mobile-safari

i can't believe Apple released this, they're slipping IMO

Slipping compared to when?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

all other versions of iOS. that is a shocking bug.

Advertisement