Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of going back Primary teaching

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

By going back I mean starting properly! I did B. Ed for primary teaching about 13 or so years ago, but only taught for about 4 months following it and never completed the NQT probation. I decided it wasn't for me. Now being older and wiser.....well, older anyway, I've been thinking seriously about going back to it. I think it is something I could be good at now. The Teachers Council have advised that all I need to do is register with them, get a job, and go through the probation period etc. Easy as that! The problem is that I finished college years ago, and have not taught since, so am totally out of touch. Plus while my Irish may have been sufficient (barely!) to get me into college and get my degree, the state of it now is neglible! Does anyone know of any refresher courses around curriculum methodologies/Irish/etc. The way I feel now, I nearly want to go back and do the postgrad! Or has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Could you do some observation in a school? Maybe a bit in a Gaelscoil too?
    http://www.gaelchultur.com/ do fairly good courses.
    The big caveat however is that even subbing is hard to come by, there are hundreds of experienced teachers unemployed. Are you fixed to a particular area?Some places have fewer subs so if you can travel, that would help your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 longinthetooth

Thanks for that. I might try the observation thing - of course not that easy as work standard office hours.......Pretty tied to where I am.

Advertisement