Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for adoption overseas by moving abroad

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

While most posters here are adoptees you may be help me out with a few questions.

My wife and I have been unable to have kids, IVF and the like have not worked. Realistically our only option to have a family is adoption. With the way irish law is set up for adoption it is almost impossible to adopt in Ireland ( no intercountry adoption yet in 2014, and only a few in the last few years), we feel our only option will be to move to another country to live.

We have heard of people doing this and moving to England or somewhere else for a few years, does anyone know of someone who has done this and was it successful? There seems a colossal amount of different permutations depending on which country and where the child is.

We really don't want to go but feel we have no other option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I feel your pain on this, we were exactly ten years from first application to having our second little girl home with us through intercountry adoption.
    It's such a shame that things have ground to a stop.

The only avenue for information I can offer is the IAA, www.iaaireland.org

There is a chance that someone there can answer hour query.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Hi Bamba,

Myself and my husband are in the exactly the same position. We are visiting a UK city in 2 weeks that we would hope to love and therefore move over in the new year. We are home birds and finding the reality a little scary but I am trying to be positive and excited about a change and different pace to life in rural ireland.
    Im sure you've done research and all like myself but it looks like a very viable option once you are happy to take on an older child and possibly siblings. Once a resident for 12 months you are able to apply to adopt.
    PM if you wanna chat about things further.
    Would also love to hear from anyone else that may have done this.
    Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

rainemac wrote: »
    Hi Bamba,

Myself and my husband are in the exactly the same position. We are visiting a UK city in 2 weeks that we would hope to love and therefore move over in the new year. We are home birds and finding the reality a little scary but I am trying to be positive and excited about a change and different pace to life in rural ireland. U
    Im sure you've done research and all like myself but it looks like a very viable option once you are happy to take on an older child and possibly siblings. Once a resident for 12 months you are able to apply to adopt.
    PM if you wanna chat about things further.
    Would also love to hear from anyone else that may have done this.
    Best Wishes

Hi,

Myself and my husband are now considering this an option. I'm starting to do research. Is this a viable option ? Can you start the process before 12 months or just apply for adoption after being resident for 12 months.

Thanks
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

PM sent Denise

Advertisement