Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best college in Ireland for Engineering?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to college choices at the moment. What I know for certain - I want to study Engineering and would like to focus on Electronic/Electrical Engineering. I feel like a general first year would suit me better as I'm not 100% on EE Engineering so maybe having a good knowledge on multiple disciplines would help me make a more informed decision.

So far the courses I've been looking at are UCD Engineering, UCC EE Engineering, NUIG EE Engineering/Undenominated Engineering, UL Electronic and Computer Engineering and NUIM Electronic Engineering.

I'm aiming for 500 points in my Leaving Cert and I do HL Physics and Maths (obviously). Would I be at a disadvantage for not having Chemistry?

So thats what I need - experiences,advice and opinions. Any would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Have you also looked at Trinity? Think it was 470 points this year and was around same last year - brother has just started 2nd year engineering in Trinity
    In Trinity first and second year are general so its third year until you start your elective
    Would be an advantage to have Chemistry as, from listening to brother, quite a few of those who hadn't done Chemistry to LC struggled initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Have you also looked at Trinity? Think it was 470 points this year and was around same last year - brother has just started 2nd year engineering in Trinity
    In Trinity first and second year are general so its third year until you start your elective
    Would be an advantage to have Chemistry as, from listening to brother, quite a few of those who hadn't done Chemistry to LC struggled initially.

Trinity is one of the Universities I wrote out straight away, just as I don't like the atmosphere there along with no real work placement in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The work placement can be a big deal, I'm long finished but when talking about College in interviews once or twice they've mention Trinity's lack of placements as odd. If you have relatives that can get you summer work in an applicable field it won't matter too much. As to the Chemistry, Trinity offered a summer course for those who didn't do it that lasted a few weeks before term started or they did when I went there.

Only thing I dislike about Trinity which for all I know is no longer an issue was that it wasn't fully semesterised, the classes were but the exams were all at the end of the year. They were changing it but I've no idea if it's done now.

I did my masters in UCC, and their Electrical department is really good as for placements they've got a lot of connections with all the companies in Cork ( there's a lot; Apple, EMC²). exams are still all at the end, as of last year.

10+ exams in the space of 2/3 weeks was my only issue with either.

Advertisement