Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing questions

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi, Iv decided to take up some fly fishing and was wondering could anyone give me tips and advice on it if they didn't mind?

Was thinking for going to a local fish farm just to start of and get the feel for it then once get the hang of it move to rivers ect

There's a real nice river near me the holds trout browies just also sea trout and salmon which be great to try for. There is also a big resivor near me to which could go to that hold some nice trout.

So I thought why not give it a try see how it goes ðŸ˜႒

So all pointers advice tips ect be really great thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you gotten a rod yet and if so what weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'd recommend getting a lesson, people picking up a fly rod have a tendency to lash it back and forward when casting when it's actually a smoother action. All you'll get is tangles and it'll piss you off, the line will probably land in a heap on the water so you won't catch anything into the bargain.

Either a paid lesson or getting someone who knows how to cast to teach you will help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Could you tell me where you located alteast around the biggest town, I know a good few places for fly casting lessons etc we need to know the basic details then we'l give you more advice!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

No I have not got a rod yet but was looking at a second hand one for sale for cheap so thought I'd pick that up.

I'm located in the Wicklow area and I wouldn't be to sure we're does lessons tbh iv never looked into I was just gona watch some YouTube videos and tech myself if didn't like it or didn't work out I'll just stick to rod and reel as iv always used

The size of the rod is crucial as it needs to match the waters you will fish and the species you are after.
    You will find somebody around there who does lessons. Check the fishing in Ireland website. Or contact a club locally. Fly fishing takes time to master and don't be surprised to go the first year with little or no success if targeting wild brown trout for example. If fishing a river you will also need to hone you rivercraft skills.
    Practice in the garden or a park before hitting the river.
    It's a skill that takes years to fully master but is the finest sport on a river.

• Advertisement

Yes as Srameen says it takes years to master, I had a look there and there is a Fishery near you with a professional casting instructor(url]http://homepage.eircom.net/~fishery/[/url 50 euro isn't bad, If i were you i'd go for it, Even though me i got 15 min lessons free in Fishing Conventions, And me 7 years fly fishing still find it challenging to catch a nice 2 pounder from the river in low water, I'd go fishing the Small stillwaters, Easy fishing in the right conditions,You'l be better then to take on the brown trout in march, And the brown trout fishing Closes 30th september!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Yes as Srameen says it takes years to master, I had a look there and there is a Fishery near you with a professional casting instructor!

Would you be talking about annamoe? Anyone know how that fishes in the colder months? Ive just taken up fly fishing myself and I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some practice in before next march.

Yea Annamoe, Practice makes perfect! Now in the colder months the Trout stay near the bottom in cold-ish weather and that's where we use Lures, ( look up on google images this: Cats Whisker) One of the best lures Ever unreal, But say if we go get some nice weather where it's hot (14-20 temp) They'l be more active near the top, Thats where you use Dry, Wet, or Nymphs, ( Nymphs represent the Shrimp etc, And sink) Dry (Are represent flies , Daddy long legs, you use Gink so they stay in the surface ) Know one of the best flies is the Daddy long legs from September to November Particular in windy day's near tree's or bushes were the get blown down when flying, , When you see fish Rising, Use a dry and try a cast in the rings where the did rise as quike as possible, Then theres buzzers really good flys in any stillwaters All you do is cast out and leave them and twitch them every so often to keep in contact if you get a fish, Anyways In annamoe There's a good selection of flies, So ask them, Also LOCAL Knowledge is the key to any fish Weither it's Salmon, trout Etc, If you have meaby 20 euro or so you should spend it on a sinking line, It's a line that sinks to get you flies deeper in the water!

good luck tell us how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Yea Annamoe, Practice makes perfect! Now in the colder months the Trout stay near the bottom in cold-ish weather and that's where we use Lures, ( look up on google images this: Cats Whisker) One of the best lures Ever unreal, But say if we go get some nice weather where it's hot (14-20 temp) They'l be more active near the top, Thats where you use Dry, Wet, or Nymphs, ( Nymphs represent the Shrimp etc, And sink) Dry (Are represent flies , Daddy long legs, you use Gink so they stay in the surface ) Know one of the best flies is the Daddy long legs from September to November Particular in windy day's near tree's or bushes were the get blown down when flying, , When you see fish Rising, Use a dry and try a cast in the rings where the did rise as quike as possible, Then theres buzzers really good flys in any stillwaters All you do is cast out and leave them and twitch them every so often to keep in contact if you get a fish, Anyways In annamoe There's a good selection of flies, So ask them, Also LOCAL Knowledge is the key to any fish Weither it's Salmon, trout Etc, If you have meaby 20 euro or so you should spend it on a sinking line, It's a line that sinks to get you flies deeper in the water!

good luck tell us how you get on!
    Excellent reply, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Villan11

Hiya,
    I'm also very new to fly fishing but love it so far. I was lucky to be given a gift of a decent rod, reel & line combo. But the biggest tip I have for you is to try Courtlough Fishery in Balbriggan. It's a man made, stocked lake that's run by the current national fly fish cast champion. For €50 you get a days fishing and a couple hours lesson too. I did it and have been back twice since with much more confidence in what i'm doing. Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Villan11 wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I'm also very new to fly fishing but love it so far. I was lucky to be given a gift of a decent rod, reel & line combo. But the biggest tip I have for you is to try Courtlough Fishery in Balbriggan. It's a man made, stocked lake that's run by the current national fly fish cast champion. For €50 you get a days fishing and a couple hours lesson too. I did it and have been back twice since with much more confidence in what i'm doing. Money well spent.

That is quite good value. Some people charge that for a one hour lesson which is a rip off in my opinion. But as they say its a free market.

Some good advice here. I would say if your new to it give it plenty of time, it can be tricky starting off but give it time. Dont be in a huge hurry to progress from easier stocked waters to rivers or wild loughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boyne fisher

Try daddies this time of year hundreds of them

Try daddies this time of year hundreds of them

It depends on where the OP is fishing. They are of no use on the rivers around here.

On my river (boyne) there everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

That courtlogh spot looks great, I was thinking I'd look to further my fly fishing skills a little more over the off season and that may be the spot to do it.

That said, I did a session in Southern Fisheries in Carlow, mainky because I'm trying to find somewhere my grandad whos in his eighties can catch a fish for himself, he cant hack the trips out into the wild much anymore. I honestly lost count of how many fish I caught there yesterday, definitely went up into the thirties. Only one of them under a pound weight. Cant recommend the place highly enough for a beginner that wants to get a fish on the end of their line, though you won't learn a whole with regards how to outsmart a fish/present your fly properly etc, these fish were going mad for anything

niallon wrote: »
    That courtlogh spot looks great, I was thinking I'd look to further my fly fishing skills a little more over the off season and that may be the spot to do it.

That said, I did a session in Southern Fisheries in Carlow, mainky because I'm trying to find somewhere my grandad whos in his eighties can catch a fish for himself, he cant hack the trips out into the wild much anymore. I honestly lost count of how many fish I caught there yesterday, definitely went up into the thirties. Only one of them under a pound weight. Cant recommend the place highly enough for a beginner that wants to get a fish on the end of their line, though you won't learn a whole with regards how to outsmart a fish/present your fly properly etc, these fish were going mad for anything

That's the important point: you will not learn how to fly fish in these places where trout throw themselves at any lure.

Why don't you atleast try somewhere it's Catch and Release? I forget the name but there's one in Kildare, Lovely Fishery, I Couldn't catch them on anything else but Nymphs, And Dries, There a lot smarter then the Regular Stockies, They Even go int the weed or hole's if they were caught before, I thought Southern Country Fishery Went down From Bait fishing? I might go there sometime, What lake did you catch the most on?

It depends on where the OP is fishing. They are of no use on the rivers around here.

Daddies on rivers can be funny. Sometimes useless sometimes they work.
    But they are great on the lake.

On my river (boyne) there everywhere

Do the trout take them? I have often found them hit and miss for river trout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rjap

I,ve had great sucess with them on river and lake and i've heard tales of the odd salmon being caught on them.
    I always have a couple in the box if they are around the bank and there is a breeze blowing you can be sure they're picking the odd one off the surface even stripping them has worked for me.

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Daddies on rivers can be funny. Sometimes useless sometimes they work.
    But they are great on the lake.

I agree, they can be brilliant on still water but I have never had success with them on rivers. The OP is asking for very basic beginner advice and I don't think starting with daddy long legs is the way to go. He needs to get the right rod, some coaching, learn water craft, and realise it all takes time to begin with.
    His best option is to contact a local club as they are all very willing to advise and coach people new to the sport.

That's the important point: you will not learn how to fly fish in these places where trout throw themselves at any lure.

I agree completely but I do remember when I started out on the fly, coming from extremely productive coarse and pike fishing, that I started to lose faith quickly from time after time not catching fish. It all changed with a trip to Aughrim Fishery (back in its heyday), hauling in Rainbows and I then had the patience to go out and catch on the river, started catching on my own flies then and haven't looked back since. That said, I was an impatient 12 year old at the time!

And I would add there was some method to be applied in Carlow, catching the larger fish did require some skill and effort but in general you are right, probably not the best learning experience.

Why don't you atleast try somewhere it's Catch and Release? I forget the name but there's one in Kildare, Lovely Fishery, I Couldn't catch them on anything else but Nymphs, And Dries, There a lot smarter then the Regular Stockies, They Even go int the weed or hole's if they were caught before, I thought Southern Country Fishery Went down From Bait fishing? I might go there sometime, What lake did you catch the most on?
    Would that be Curragh Springs by any chance? Next on the list!

Carlow fishes grand on the fly only lake, down beside the hatching pools. Caught one Brownie on the middle lake, which also has carp in it, then moved onto the fly lake. I've had five blank days on Lough Lene (I really need to brush up on my page fishing skills in the off season!) the last few months so I was happy out to catch, even if it was all too easy.

My personal recommendation for a commercial fishery over the off season is Lough Aisling in Edenderry. Stocked to the gills with good sized Brownie and Rainbow but not too easily caught, just nice these days to fish somewhere you know has fish!

Yea that it, I fished lough aisling awhile back didn't catch anything for 2 days disappointing

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Do the trout take them? I have often found them hit and miss for river trout.

Ah they are hit and miss but this time of year on my river anyway they are Gud other day missed biggest brownie I ever had on line on boyne hooked beside my feet ran other side of river stayed at bottom for 5-6 mins and came off

Ah they are hit and miss but this time of year on my river anyway they are Gud other day missed biggest brownie I ever had on line on boyne hooked beside my feet ran other side of river stayed at bottom for 5-6 mins and came off

I fish the boyne myself. There are some big ones inthere alright. But the daddy still wouldnt be my first choice..

It's not mine either mine is the klinkhammer

Yea that it, I fished lough aisling awhile back didn't catch anything for 2 days disappointing

Aisling was great May/June, caught some cracking fish there. Late June onwards though they turned to the fry - as trout do - but in aisling it was particularly bad because the trout lake is infested with roach and with all that roach fry about nothing but a spinner would catch a fish in there.

Talking to the chap that owns the place he said when the roach were discovered in there he left them in is a food source, leading to the larger size of fish but when he took them out it had a negative effect on the population of the lake so unfortunately the fry keep the fishing down over the summer but it should pick up again in the off season, as much as these places can anyway

• Advertisement

It's not mine either mine is the klinkhammer

Yea the klinks are great.
    I also love a kites imperial and a grey duster.
    A lot of my trout come to those when olives and spinners about.

Advertisement