Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Canada should i move?

Options
  • 17-09-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi

Im looking for peoples opinion who made the move to Canada.

Im about to Graduate with a Degree in Software and have a nice few euro to emigrate.

I have 2 young pre school kids and willing to move anywhere once the weather isnt too extreme and the facilities are decent.

I know nothing about Canada apart from anything ive read online so have no connection or desire towards any individual place

Where would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you don't want extreme weather, then I'd contend that your only options are greater Vancouver and Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Dont mind snow just not 300 days of it a year. Is it really that bad elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

test2014 wrote: »
    Dont mind snow just not 300 days of it a year. Is it really that bad elsewhere?

No, but it gets cold

I can't speak from experience, but I do know it's pretty common to have at least 6 months of snow in many parts of Canada. Last week, the temperature in Calgary plummeted overnight and it went from warm and sunny to heavy snow - in early September, while the sun was splitting the stones here in Vancouver. http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/09/meanwhile-calgary-10-cm-snow-falls-temperatures-drop-25-degrees-24-hours-photos-videos/

According to Wikipedia, snow in Toronto typically occurs from November to April (not continuously); Montreal is November to April; Calgary can have snow from September to May; Edmonton October to May, and Winnipeg the same. Comparatively, Vancouver is only really at risk of snow from December to February (and even then, it's pretty rare), and the same in Victoria. But what Vancouver and Victoria lack in snow, they make up for in rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Last winter in Toronto was apparently brutal, snowed for 6 months solid, google pics or youtube videos of it.
    They're more prepared for it here though and you get around big parts of downtown Toronto underground, the subways all link together with office buildings and shopping centres so you don't have to be on the streets much depending on where you're going. Still hope this winter is nowhere like what people have told me last year was, it's starting to get chilly in the evenings now, last week I was in shorts and a tshirt now I'm in jeans and a hoody and our apartment building has the central heating on.

• Advertisement

To be honest, last year wasn't really that bad. It was the worst they've had for a long time apparently, but I found it alright. Was my fifth winter here and you get used to the snow and cold really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Don't be put off by the weather. We are well prepared for it and kids love winter activities. Toronto is not cold by Canadian standards and Ontario south of there is one of the warmest places in the country. Vancouver is beautiful and the summers have been great recently but it can be very wet and depressing in the winter time and real estate is absurdly expensive. I didn't find it nearly as friendly as the east coast - I'd probably choose Ottawa as a good compromise if I were starting out myself.

Were I you, I would try and score the work and family opportunities available to you in the larger cities and see where comes out top. A good job in a good neighbourhood is more important than the scenery.

Id be going with the view of buying a first time house there ASAP. I have a deposit ready but it depends on a job really.

Maybe im just dreaming but i thought i would move over, get whatever job i can. Then get settled and move into a career and purchase a property in the space of about 2 years.

Do people move to vancouver etc assuming they will never buy if its that expensive?

What do Irish people do as they get older? Go home / Move out of the expensive cities?

Not a bank in the country that'll give you a house loan without permanent residency, an extremely high paying and secure job or most of the cash up front as far as I'm aware. I've got a good job and I barely managed to get financing on a $17k car

Yeah thats kind of expected. Id also be looking for residency ASAP as id be looking to live there forever really. Once the kids go to school thats the end of it. No more moving countries. Only internally in canada.

So are you planning to never buy property there is what your saying? Or will you be looking for residency?

What kind of work are you in also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Many years ago, when I moved to Vancouver from Newfoundland as a temporary worker, a bank official at my new branch took one look at my SIN number (which indicated my immigration status) and cut my overdraft from 5,000 to 500 dollars.

Buying a house in Vancouver isn't going to happen any time soon anyway. At the moment, average single-family houses (as they call them here) are selling for about $1million upwards. The cheapest single family home available recently was $600,000 and it was tiny.

Yeah thats kind of expected. Id also be looking for residency ASAP as id be looking to live there forever really. Once the kids go to school thats the end of it. No more moving countries. Only internally in canada.

So are you planning to never buy property there is what your saying? Or will you be looking for residency?

What kind of work are you in also?

I'll probably buy a house in the next few years, but I've been here for 5 years already and am married to a Canadian, so I'm pretty bedded down. I'm also not in Vancouver so don't have to worry about those insane prices.

There's definitely a bubble here at the moment though. They're mad for getting on the ladder - very reminiscent of Ireland before the recession - and it's pretty common to stay in a house for only 3-4 years before flipping it and moving into another one. It'll come crashing down in the next decade.

I'm in publishing

COYVB wrote: »
    I'll probably buy a house in the next few years, but I've been here for 5 years already and am married to a Canadian, so I'm pretty bedded down. I'm also not in Vancouver so don't have to worry about those insane prices.

There's definitely a bubble here at the moment though. They're mad for getting on the ladder - very reminiscent of Ireland before the recession - and it's pretty common to stay in a house for only 3-4 years before flipping it and moving into another one. It'll come crashing down in the next decade.

I'm in publishing

If you where in my situation where would you move?

Ive no interest in Vancouver if that's the case.

Why don't you tell us why you want to move to canada and never leave? What are you looking for? I find it really strange that you know nothing about the country, but have decided to move here for the rest of your life. How do you know you'll like it when you get here?

We can't tell you when to go. You have to decide that for yourself. Canada is the second biggest country in the entire world, it's not like there's 5 cities like Ireland that are all fairly similar.

Faith wrote: »
    Why don't you tell us why you want to move to canada and never leave? What are you looking for? I find it really strange that you know nothing about the country, but have decided to move here for the rest of your life. How do you know you'll like it when you get here?

We can't tell you when to go. You have to decide that for yourself. Canada is the second biggest country in the entire world, it's not like there's 5 cities like Ireland that are all fairly similar.

I'm just looking for a good place to raise the kids And give them some kind of life is all.

Canada is only a few hours on a plane. Can always come back but would like to buy a house there and stay at least till the kids finish primary school.

But realistically I'd probably just stay. Im at the stage in life where I just want to settle down.

Have you considered how you're going to get a visa for your family? Have you explored your options in that regard?

Vancouver is a 10 hour flight. It's not quite Australia, but it's still a considerable distance.

What other countries have you looked into? If your kids are very young, and could easily pick up another language, plenty of European countries would offer an excellent quality of life, cheaper cost of living and be closer to Ireland.

The US is another option to explore, particularly the east coast if you'd like to be in easy flying distance.

The world is your oyster. Don't just pick a random country and throw yourself into moving there forever without doing extensive research. If you don't want harsh winters or extremely expensive property, Canada doesn't sound like the ideal option. If you need to get sponsored to work either way, I'd be much quicker to look towards the USA.

Have you considered how you're going to get a visa for your family? Have you explored your options in that regard?

Vancouver is a 10 hour flight. It's not quite Australia, but it's still a considerable distance.

What other countries have you looked into? If your kids are very young, and could easily pick up another language, plenty of European countries would offer an excellent quality of life, cheaper cost of living and be closer to Ireland.

The US is another option to explore, particularly the east coast if you'd like to be in easy flying distance.

The world is your oyster. Don't just pick a random country and throw yourself into moving there forever without doing extensive research. If you don't want harsh winters or extremely expensive property, Canada doesn't sound like the ideal option. If you need to get sponsored to work either way, I'd be much quicker to look towards the USA.

As I said I've no interest in Vancouver if property prices are that bad. Someone suggested ottowa and that seems a lot better for me. Closer to here and house prices seem good.

I understand I could get a skills visa but haven't looked into that completely. Software Engineers I assume would be in demand. I know people who haven't gone to college or worked and got visas no problem so assumed I'd be fine.

I have no interest in moving to Germany, France etc. I'd rather go to Canada and the US I'm not really interested in. Who knows I might go to Canada then get an interest in the US. But for now I'd just like to know if there's people who moved their family over and could give suggestions on areas that suit.

Worth noting the standard of education here is dreadful, just like in the states. They claim it's great, but they're doing stuff at 14-15 we do at 11

I know people who haven't gone to college or worked and got visas no problem so assumed I'd be fine.

They most likely got IEC visas, which are available to anyone under 35 and are valid for 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Why are people coming on without having done ANY research and asking questions? Happening in a lot of threads over the last few weeks.

"How can I get a visa tomorrow?"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's...kinda bizarre, you want to up and move your family to a country you have zero knowledge of with the intention of staying there forever? Why not test the waters for a year or two before trying to buy a place or get residency?

I understand I could get a skills visa but haven't looked into that completely. Software Engineers I assume would be in demand. I know people who haven't gone to college or worked and got visas no problem so assumed I'd be fine.

So, in other words, you've done no research at all into visas. Apart from the 2-year IEC visa, it's very difficult to get sponsored to work in Canada. There has to be no suitable Canadians to fill the role, and I doubt there's a shortage of graduates in software here. And it's much easier said than done to get a Federal Skilled Worker visa too.
    krudler wrote: »
    That's...kinda bizarre, you want to up and move your family to a country you have zero knowledge of with the intention of staying there forever? Why not test the waters for a year or two before trying to buy a place or get residency?

My feelings exactly. At least take a holiday over here to see if you like it! Why the rush to get permanent residency and buy property when you have never set foot in the country?

My feelings exactly. At least take a holiday over here to see if you like it! Why the rush to get permanent residency and buy property when you have never set foot in the country?

It wouldnt be a surprise to you if you lived in Ireland that someone would be so eager to get their kids out. Im at a stage now where i have the money and the employable skills to get out.

Im too old to be still sitting around and renting when i have the money for a property. Simple as that really. If i had a job and could afford it why not? Not such a big deal. Of course i would rent first but id look to buy ASAP. If i cant buy i cant buy.

I just thought the thread might catch the attention of someone in the same situation.

It wouldnt be a surprise to you if you lived in Ireland that someone would be so eager to get their kids out. Im at a stage now where i have the money and the employable skills to get out.

Im too old to be still sitting around and renting when i have the money for a property. Simple as that really. If i had a job and could afford it why not? Not such a big deal. Of course i would rent first but id look to buy ASAP. If i cant buy i cant buy.

I just thought the thread might catch the attention of someone in the same situation.

I've just left myself so I know what the situation in Ireland is like. But I can assure you, the streets of Canada are not paved with gold.

I strongly suggest that you do more research first. You need to read up on LMOs, Federal Skilled Worker visas, property prices, economies and weather. That's not to mention the quality of education here as COYVB mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It sounds like the OP used a map of the world and some darts to try and decide where to emigrate to.

Hi
    Im looking for peoples opinion who made the move to Canada.
    Im about to Graduate with a Degree in Software and have a nice few euro to emigrate.
    I have 2 young pre school kids and willing to move anywhere once the weather isnt too extreme and the facilities are decent.
    I know nothing about Canada apart from anything ive read online so have no connection or desire towards any individual place
    Where would you recommend?
    Thanks

Have you your visa sorted? If not, you won't be able to apply until next year. it's a lottery and visas are very hard to get.
    You are going at the right age of your kids.
    As other posters have said, buying a house won't be possible for a few years.
    Your best bet is to get your visa and go alone for 6 months and get a feel of the place. A number of people from my area have gone to Calgary and have settled in well. Extremes of weather aren't a problem, as they're well used to it and are prepared. There are plenty of Irish organisations and pubs. Outdoor pursuits are also plentiful.
    Don't write Ireland off just yet. There's life in the old dog yet. The grass may not be as green on the other side. We've come through the worst of the recession.
    Finally, is your partner in full agreement with you? Can be tough taking a mother away from the support she is used to.

Have you your visa sorted? If not, you won't be able to apply until next year. it's a lottery and visas are very hard to get.
    You are going at the right age of your kids.
    As other posters have said, buying a house won't be possible for a few years.
    Your best bet is to get your visa and go alone for 6 months and get a feel of the place. A number of people from my area have gone to Calgary and have settled in well. Extremes of weather aren't a problem, as they're well used to it and are prepared. There are plenty of Irish organisations and pubs. Outdoor pursuits are also plentiful.
    Don't write Ireland off just yet. There's life in the old dog yet. The grass may not be as green on the other side. We've come through the worst of the recession.
    Finally, is your partner in full agreement with you? Can be tough taking a mother away from the support she is used to.

This is exactly the plan.

Go over in 18 months to 2 years for a few months then bring the family over when i get sorted with Job/Accommodation.

Im in Ireland just beside yourself by the look of it so looks like im not the only one thinking this way.

My partner also wants to go more than me!

She knows theres no future here.

Also wheres the proof where over the worst of the recession? What makes you say that? Not being funny with you but i literally see 0 proof of that fact here. People where saying that in 2010!

This is exactly the plan.

Also wheres the proof where over the worst of the recession? What makes you say that? Not being funny with you but i literally see 0 proof of that fact here. People where saying that in 2010!

Ah, you see I'm a bit older than you and have lived through the 80's recession. The difference is that back then. we all had nothing! I'm an optimist and look on the positives in life. We all lost the run of ourselves in the Celtic tiger era and are now learning to live within our means again.
    Walked through Clonmel this week for the first time in about 6 months and was delighted to see new or renovated business' open. There were plenty of people around and parking wasn't easy find. Plenty of hairdresers and beauticians opened. They wouldn't be there if people didn't have spare money to spend on pampering themselves!

Good Luck in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You are about to graduate in 'Software' so i'm guessing that you have no experience?

It's very difficult to get in the door in IT in Canada as an immigrant, even with the bare minimum that most places usually ask for (2-3 year's experience). I had 3 months of constant applications and rejections until I got my job there and I had 4 years exp. at the time and even then I was very lucky. Graduate positions are very competitive and companies will always hire Canadians first as the education requirements are easier to compare against (A cert from Tralee and a degree from trinity mean the same thing in Canada - bugger all), there is the inherent risk that companies perceive with immigrants as there may move or have to move due to visa expiry/rejection, and the fact that the Canadian govt is actively promoting/pressuring companies to offer canadian jobs to Canadian citizens after a few embarrassing incidents where companies were caught outsourcing loads of jobs while the unemployment rate rose

As others have said, the expectations you have are very unrealistic. Canada is not the be all and end all, and many people (myself included) have changed their minds and moved back. Do some research before putting all your eggs in one basket...

Advertisement