Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Canada should i move?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Cheers for the input and what part of canada did you work in?

Also was the work in Development?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ontario, was a technical solutions analyst/dev for one of the big banks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

A few disadvantages of Canada longer term.

1. Weather. Despite climate change, it is still cold in winter in most parts of country beyond Vancouver, often for many months. As one ages, this looms larger. For me, winter is a daily struggle to clear the snow in my driveway. Many of my older neighbours leave for Florida trailer parks for months on end. The US offers much more choice in this regard.

2. Travel. Getting back to Ireland can be a real pain from many places and in old age the day will come when it will no longer be feasible.

3. Tax. The tax guys here have a different take on residency and tax. If you work here and leave, make sure you break all ties - otherwise you may still be considered resident for tax purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ms.sunnyb

anywhere but calgary

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

ms.sunnyb wrote: »
    anywhere but calgary

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

The software industry is actually quite strong in Ireland. You wouldn't wanna come to Canada with no experience at all that's for sure! You'll be given worse wages than a server starting off, and that's if you get a job! Plus, it's far more expensive here than home. I'd be off to Galway or Dublin or even mainland europe for a couple of years if I were you! (You basically are me, 5 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

Without any work experience you could find yourself punching below your weight job-wise in Canada, one plan would be get a year or two experience in Ireland and then go, you'll have a better idea what salary etc you should be expecting and references to back you up..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tinman09

Any advice welcome. I'm heading over in March when the weather hopefully calms a bit. I'm going on a career break from an office job so I have office experience and not much else, some bar and shop work when I was younger. I also have a fairly impractical arts degree. I don't mind moving anywhere in Canada I don't need to be in the middle of irish people, or Toronto or Vancouver, all I'm looking for is a good place to live and have a bit of craic and any sort of job just to pay the bills. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement