Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No earth wire for lighting fixture?

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am trying to change my light fittings with the instruction given on the Woodies's website.

URL : woodiesdiy.tv/How-to-Change-a-Light-Fittings

Says on the video that if I do not have an earth wire in the connection point in the ceiling, do not attach any metallic fittings e.g. brass/chrome.

My house was built in 1920 so there was no earth wire and the new light and ceiling rose I bought is metal!

What can I do? Has anyone the same experience before?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the light fitting is designed to be earthed then it should be earthed end of story.
    No earth cable present = do not install a light that requires an earth.

If your home has not been wired in a long, long time (your post suggests this) then I would recommend that you get a Registered Electrical Contractor to survey it as a matter of urgency. Failure to do so may result in loss of said home or worse........

Advertisement