Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Quackster wrote: »
    Got a €5 off €25 voucher in Henry St last week. Didn't see any signs in store about it.

Are these €5 off €25 vouchers back again just recently or have they been on the go all the time since before Christmas?

On the go for 3-4 years now, they never rescinded them after Christmas one year.......

The 5-off-25 voucher is a little unusual- there are 4 stores nationally who do the fiver-off-25 vouchers- all other stores are 10-off-50.......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there are 4 stores nationally who do the fiver-off-25 vouchers.
    where are these? have they officially said only 4.

I would be in dunnes a hell of a lot more if there were 5/25 ones in my local one. The fact I know they have 10/50 ones that I would not use puts me off shopping there, as I have found, and now presume, stuff will be more expensive there as I guess they have to cope with people using them. Similar to how junk mail pizza places have to have stupidly high prices as a huge % of people are buying with high % off coupons.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

On the go for 3-4 years now, they never rescinded them after Christmas one year.......

The 5-off-25 voucher is a little unusual- there are 4 stores nationally who do the fiver-off-25 vouchers- all other stores are 10-off-50.......

Yeah, it's the €5 off €25 vouchers I'm specifically wondering about. My local stores only do the €10 off €50 vouchers.

I noticed the €5 off €25 vouchers advertised in George's St last November and am wondering if they've been running constantly since then.

rubadub wrote: »

I would be in dunnes a hell of a lot more if there were 5/25 ones in my local one. The fact I know they have 10/50 ones that I would not use puts me off shopping there, as I have found, and now presume, stuff will be more expensive there as I guess they have to cope with people using them. Similar to how junk mail pizza places have to have stupidly high prices as a huge % of people are buying with high % off coupons.

Seems to be Dublin City Centre stores and a couple more in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Wexford and Drogheda.

m.dunnesstores.com/valueclub-term-promotions/content/fcp-content

Have to say though, anything I buy in Dunnes is no more expensive than any of the other supermarkets.

Seems to be Dublin City Centre stores and a couple more in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Wexford and Drogheda.
    Looks like it could be some stores where they do not expect people to do a big weekly shop. Like city centres.
    Have to say though, anything I buy in Dunnes is no more expensive than any of the other supermarkets.
    I rarely shop with a shopping list, I just pick up what ever offers are going and am not particularly brand loyal. I do find tesco cheap, I find they have bigger discounts than the others while they might be the same or more expensive if you go in with a strict list.

When lidl & aldi have their coupons it is rare to see really good discounts in the shop at the same time. While it was great to be able to use aldi/lidl ones in tesco when they had say 24 cans of beer for €24.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »

I got some in George's Street- and asked the Manager in Maynooth what the story was- and was told it was 4 stores nationally- but I wasn't told which ones. I knew about George's Street (obviously)- and its entirely possible more were added to the list- but yes- its the little town centre stores- that they're trying to encourage shoppers back into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Henry St in Limerick definitely do them. They can be spent in any Dunnes, but when I cashed one in Ennis, I was told that I wouldn't get one back as "we're doing too well' was the response. So only seem to be given out in shops where spend is low to encourage people to go that bit higher.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Henry St in Limerick definitely do them. They can be spent in any Dunnes, but when I cashed one in Ennis, I was told that I wouldn't get one back as "we're doing too well' was the response. So only seem to be given out in shops where spend is low to encourage people to go that bit higher.

Doing too well?
    As-in- the store are doing too well, and don't feel the need to attract passing trade?
    I get the 5-off-25 every single time- in George's Street- and spend them in Maynooth- and get 10-off-50 vouchers in Maynooth but not reciprochal 5-off-25 ones (I take it this is what you mean?)

Doing too well?
    As-in- the store are doing too well, and don't feel the need to attract passing trade?
    I get the 5-off-25 every single time- in George's Street- and spend them in Maynooth- and get 10-off-50 vouchers in Maynooth but not reciprochal 5-off-25 ones (I take it this is what you mean?)

So you've got them in George's St any time you've spent €25 there since Christmas?

The lack of signage in Henry St (Dublin) I found unusual. Not really going to encourage folk to spend that bit more if they don't know the offer is on!

Wexford is an interesting store to be included (as are the Dublin and Cork suburban stores). I wonder if there is a specific local reason for it being on the list (higher than normal competition locally maybe).

(higher than normal competition locally maybe).

Don't think so- to be honest. Maynooth is next door to Aldi, it has a Lidl up the road- and a Tesco at the other end of main street- and it doesn't do the 5-off-25 vouchers.

As for George's Street- its been doing the 5-off-25 for at least the last 2 years- but similar to Henry Street- the signage is very hit and miss (sometimes its advertised, sometimes not). I'm only in there the odd time (I don't work in the city centre)- but would deliberately buy a few extra bits and pieces to trigger the voucher. More often than not- I'd not get an opportunity to use the voucher in George's street- I'd just use it in Maynooth..........

I was a dedicated shopped in Tesco- for a long time- before these vouchers came out- but now- am 70% Dunnes : 30% Lidl (just don't like the quality in Aldi).

Anyhow- yes, it doesn't make much sense that they don't advertise the 5-off-25 more- its a good mechanism to get people who are picking up a few bits and pieces to bump up their purchases. A bottle of wine or whatever- its not hard to bump your shopping up to 25E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

For years we shopped in Tesco due to location. Last year we decided to try Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, and Supervalu on different weeks over a month to see which was cheapest. Supervalu was quite pricey but the others were all similar prices. I was surprised as I was expecting Lidl and Aldi to be full of bargains. With the coupons Dunnes is the best value for us. Except the fancy Dunnes on Stephen's Green, which now seems to sell mostly pomegranate molasses, kale chips, and gourmet crubeens.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Arbie wrote: »
    I was surprised as I was expecting Lidl and Aldi to be full of bargains.

Your feedback is in line with my experience, the sneaky and disingenuous / false advertising campaign where lidl / Aldi say you can save XX by buying their own brand products is based on a comparison of their own brand products versus expensive brands at another supermarket. If they compared their own brand to another supermarkets own brand then we would see very very little if any difference, the fact they don't means I avoid them as they are treating customers like fools.

Here is another example of "dumb" comparisons, everyone knows multi pack peppers are way cheaper than singles(and in my option this is warrented as singles are bigger, fresher and tastier) so the comparison is pointless and proves nothing other than questioning the motives / understanding of the poster comparing the products.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Just noticed that Tesco are doing 2 pack peppers (275g) for 49c this week.. and Aldi want to charge us 49c for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

for December and January in George's street, Dublin Dunnes I got the 5€ off a next 25€ or more purchase for each purchase I made in Dunnes, even only buying one small item. I used to go there once a week and then use it for one big weekly shopping in Dunnes or Tesco ( Tesco tills accept competitor vouchers but the self service ones don't).

They didn't advertise these vouchers though, only signs I say were spend 50 and get 10€ off your next 50€ as far as I know.

Getting the vouchers for small purchases seems to have ended at the end of January though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Your feedback is in line with my experience, the sneaky and disingenuous / false advertising campaign where lidl / Aldi say you can save XX by buying their own brand products is based on a comparison of their own brand products versus expensive brands at another supermarket. If they compared their own brand to another supermarkets own brand then we would see very very little if any difference, the fact they don't means I avoid them as they are treating customers like fools.

We've started doing our weekly shop in Aldi (previously Dunnes) and definitely notice we're getting more value for our money in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

marvin80 wrote: »
    We've started doing our weekly shop in Aldi (previously Dunnes) and definitely notice we're getting more value for our money in Aldi.

Marvin thinking of making the switch myself could you elaborate a little how you think you get more value for money in Aldi ? Even with the €10 vouchers in Dunes
    Thanks a million

Marvin thinking of making the switch myself could you elaborate a little how you think you get more value for money in Aldi ? Even with the €10 vouchers in Dunes
    Thanks a million

I guess it would depend on what you buy, and brands, if you use a list etc. I passby dunnes on my way home and go in the odd time and do not see much value. I am not brand loyal and not picky at all, so often buy "whatever is on offer". I presume dunnes will never be great value (if you do not use vouchers) since they factor in so many people using these €10 off vouchers. €50 is a very big spend for me, so it is rare I would do it. If my dunnes gave €5 off €25 vouchers I would be in there a LOT more.

see deals here, interestingly portmarnock had a €5 off a €20 spend, but you have to spend €50 to get it.
    http://www.dunnesstores.com/valueclub-term-promotions/content/fcp-content
    Spend between €25 and €49.99 and receive (1) † €5 off €25 voucher. Max 1 Voucher is issued in one transaction. €5 off vouchers are issued only in participating Dunnes Stores: Bray Grocery, Finglas Cardiffbridge Road, Georges St Convenience, Henry St, North Earl St., Stephens Green, Saggart, Harveys Quay Limerick, Drogheda West Street Grocery, Edward Square Galway, Redmond Square Wexford, Patrick St, Bishopstown Curraheen Rd Cork, Waterford City Square, The Square Tallaght & Shannon.
    €5 off €20 (issued with €50 spend on Grocery in Portmarnock)
    Spend €50 on Groceries between Thursday 8th and Saturday 10th February to receive (1) €5 off €20 voucher. Max 1 Voucher is issued in one transaction. €5 off vouchers are issued only in participating stores: Portmarnock.
    T&C for issuing of €8 off €40 on swiping your VALUEclub card
    * Selected Valueclub members receive an exclusive offer of (1) † €8 off €40 voucher upon swiping their card in the transaction. Max 1 Voucher is issued per transaction. This promotion is valid for all ROI stores

From those claiming a saving after switching to Aldi, I would love to see precise lists of items purchased in both Dunnes and Aldi as I don't buy it that Aldi is generally cheaper than Dunnes.

Now there are weaknesses in Dunnes, primarily with gaps in their own-brand range, but I get around that by shopping in different supermarkets depending on the specific things I'm looking for.

What I buy in Dunnes, I couldn't get any cheaper in any other supermarket, and that's even before I factor the €10 off €50 into the mix.

Thanks a million

From a very simplistic point of view our 4 big bags of shopping work out cheaper in Aldi than Dunnes by 20-30 euros.

It's definitely worth trying Aldi for a few weeks and see what you think - nothing ventured nothing gained.
    You can always go back to Dunnes if Aldi isn't working out :)

From those claiming a saving after switching to Aldi, I would love to see precise lists of items purchased in both Dunnes and Aldi as I don't buy it that Aldi is generally cheaper than Dunnes.

Go into Aldi someday and buy the stuff you'd usually buy in Dunnes and do a comparison and let us know how you get on - be interesting to see the outcome.

I would love to see precise lists of items purchased in both Dunnes and Aldi as I don't buy it that Aldi is generally cheaper than Dunnes.

What I buy in Dunnes, I couldn't get any cheaper in any other supermarket, and that's even before I factor the €10 off €50 into the mix.

Maybe you could kick it off and give a few examples of what you find to be particularly cheaper or better value in dunnes? I would be interested to see what they are, it could be things I never buy myself.

Like yourself I shop in several shops, I have a good memory for prices too, and would of course factor in quality, which is often subjective.

Maybe we need an ongoing sticky thread with comparisons of basic items, and allow for valid impartial comments beside them. e.g. aldi might have the cheapest own brand coke but the general consensus might be that it is horrible. I get tesco "xero" diet coke, 49c for 2L and whenever it is mentioned several users always chime in agreeing how good it is.

I get my coconut milk in lidl, cheaper, nicer, higher in actual coconut.

Tesco caster sugar, 1.09 per kilo, which is cheaper than tesco "value" sugar. This is price matched in many supermarkets.

Tesco 20 battered chicken breast nuggets 1.59 for 450g, on a par with birdseye IMO, but it would be interesting to see if others agree.

Tesco Super Concentrated Liquid Non Bio. 960Ml €1.48 (32 washes, far cheaper per ml than the larger bottle of the exact same stuff)

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    Go into Aldi someday and buy the stuff you'd usually buy in Dunnes and do a comparison and let us know how you get on - be interesting to see the outcome.

I shop in Aldi almost every week for the things that are cheaper there than elsewhere. Most things on my shopping list though are more-or-less the same price in Aldi as the equivalent own-brand items in Dunnes/Tesco/Lidl.

I don't go by the total at the end of my receipt. I keep a close eye on the prices of all the regular individual items I buy in supermarkets to make sure I'm buying them at the cheapest price in as much as is logistically reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i think i would save €25-30 on a weekly shop (for 5) by going to aldi instead of dunnes.

and if you compare the own branded goods in dunnes to the aldi range they are not as good, eg cereal, snacks, frozen items etc.
    i do find lidl are probably even a shade cheaper than aldi, but prefer the food range in aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Now there are weaknesses in Dunnes, primarily with gaps in their own-brand range, but I get around that by shopping in different supermarkets depending on the specific things I'm looking for.

I agree. I go to Aldi now and again mainly to look at their special buys but would pick up a few things while i'm there, and i'm surprised by their prices.
    I would do weekly shop in Dunnes now with vouchers and the odd shop in lidl or tesco. I used to do my weekly shop in Aldi, but now find that their prices have got more expensive.

Same here- Dunnes for main shop- with a few odds and ends from both Aldi and Lidl- depending on what they have on special.
    Got some Nutella for 4.99/kg in Lidl today- its 6.99 for the same jar in Dunnes, Fruit and Veg- 7.80 in Lidl- same price in Dunnes- but better quality in Lidl- and a case of aloe vera tissues for 22 Euro in Aldi- similar quality/quantity/size in Dunnes = EUR38.

You have to focus on particular items- to make it work- its pointless saying do your shopping in Aldi (or Lidl) and you'll save money compared to Dunnes (or elsewhere).

An example of stupid pricing in Lidl- 2.75 for a 2 litre bottle of 7-Up. Like what? Who though that was a fair or reasonable price. Fresh chicken in both Aldi and Lidl- avoid like the plague- the UK stamp belongs to 3 Sisters (google the scandal). In their defense Iceland, Tesco, M&S and other supermarkets got caught out similarly (though I think Dunnes are the only one of them to guarantee that they use only Irish produce).

You need to be selective- and know exactly what you're buying- some supermarkets are particularly strong in some areas and weak in others (Dunnes are pretty poor with their bakeries and their fresh fruit/veg in comparison to the Germans) and arguably the best bakery around- is Supervalu (though it depends on the branch).

Even some of the most ridiculous multiples (Eurospar anyone)- have some really good offers- Eurospar are flogging Kerrygold garlic batons @ 49c each at the moment- and its simply the tastiest you can get- our two will only eat it or Galberts.

You need to know exactly what you're buying in any shop- and not get tempted with the stuff they're not marking down. You can make reasonable savings- by shopping around- but you need to do your research first, before you leave the house...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

We just moved from 4 years being with Aldi/Lidl to Dunnes.

Did a lot of experimenting and calculations.

So Dunnes cost us €3-4 more per weekly shopping (after applying €10 off voucher on €50 shopping at Dunnes). But we are getting definitely better fruits, vegetables and fish in Dunnes. Another plus point at Dunnes is they have huge selection of everything, be it yogurts, chocolates, meat, etc. Do Aldi users agree with me here?

Overall it depends what you usually buy and it's difficult to generalise it over different families.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree with the above - a lot of own brand products are price matched or close enough and if it's those kind of products you mainly buy, there might be little enough difference between them but if you buy different things there might be a vast difference.

Some things I find that are similar

Tinned tuna - tesco 70c, supervalu much nicer @ 79cent, lidl 79c I think, dunnes the same I think
    Chickpeas - 50c tesco, 55cent supervalu, similar in lidl and aldi
    Own brand rice cakes are pretty much 1.19-1.29 across the board
    Salmon darnes 2 pack: Tesco 3.44 (nicest imo), Lidl 4.00, Dunnes 4.00 I think but also in a 3 for €10 offer so potentially cheapest at 3.33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭xpletiv

I moved from Aldi to Dunnes too after 4 years of Aldi shopping. Better quality food in Dunnes. Saying that though, Im sceptical of the meat in the 10er deal; a few times Ive bought it and its gone off before the due date, or they have meat on shelves that go off 1 or 2 days after purchase. Maybe its just my dunnes that does it though.

Q; do they still do the 5 off 25? I bought 25 quids worth of stuff and got nothing.

xpletiv wrote: »
    a few times Ive bought it and its gone off before the due date, or they have meat on shelves that go off 1 or 2 days after purchase. .
    I find all supermarkets to be random these days, sometimes the stuff in front is freshest, sometimes at the back, sometimes in the middle "shop around!"

xpletiv wrote: »
    Q; do they still do the 5 off 25? I bought 25 quids worth of stuff and got nothing.
    I gave a list of shops that should further up. It can depend on what you buy. If you bought and thought you should have got one I would complain privately via social media, many seem to get vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Every supermarket has it's selling points, I shop in them all depending on what I need or where I am when I need stuff. However Dunnes would be one of the dearer supermarkets for fruit and veg. Banana's and apples like pink lady's are on a par but a pineapple in Dunnes is €1.79, it's usually €1.29 in Aldi although it's only 0.99c lately. A punnet of grapes is €2.99 in Dunnes, max €2.29 in Aldi.

Cheese, cold cut meats etc are generally cheaper in Aldi. Fresh orange juice is cheaper, chocolate bars, bottled water multipacks and specialist type foods like gluten free goods are cheaper. Other supermarkets match or better Aldi on some of these but I don't find Dunnes cheaper for these usually.

• Advertisement

MB05 wrote: »
    Every supermarket has it's selling points, I shop in them all depending on what I need or where I am when I need stuff. However Dunnes would be one of the dearer supermarkets for fruit and veg. Banana's and apples like pink lady's are on a par but a pineapple in Dunnes is €1.79, it's usually €1.29 in Aldi although it's only 0.99c lately. A punnet of grapes is €2.99 in Dunnes, max €2.29 in Aldi.

Yep, I agree on Dunnes being weak on fruit & veg and therefore i tend to do most of my fruit & veg shopping in Aldi (unless something I want is on special offer in Lidl). For potatoes I stick with Dunnes/Tesco though (or local fruit/veg shop) as Aldi/Lidl aren't great if you're not a roosters fan!

Advertisement