Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

marvin80 wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.com/Price-survey-reveals-Irelands-best-value-supermarket

"A new food price survey has found retailer Aldi is up to 47% cheaper than other supermarkets.

The survey, conducted by Grant Thornton, says Aldi has reduced the price of over one-third of its product range in past 12 months.

It examined the prices of groceries at Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, SuperValu and Dunnes Stores.

A basket of 62 own-brand products is more than 17% cheaper in Aldi than Tesco, over 24% cheaper in Aldi than Dunnes Stores (after taking into account their €10 off €50 voucher offer) and up to 47% cheaper in Aldi than SuperValu."

I'd love to see the detailed breakdown of the individual product prices as this doesn't exactly mirror my experience. It should also be noted that this survey was commissioned by Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quackster wrote: »
    I'd love to see the detailed breakdown of the individual product prices as this doesn't exactly mirror my experience.
    not just the prices, would need to see the brands/photos, ingredients etc. e.g. not all curry sauces could be comparable.

Also they would have to show ALL the products they looked at.

62 items are listed. I bet they looked at several hundred, then plugged it into a simple spreadsheet and had a calculator spit out the best result.

It says the dunnes voucher was taken into account, but does not detail how this was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Plus some own brand stuff is awful on each supermarket.

""For instance the press release mentions a price of Cherry Tomatoes 500g that were sold in SuperValu for €4.98. In fact we have a 500g Cherry Tomato comparison product at €1.58. For this reason we would question the validity of the comparisons used."

I can see on supervalues site.
    SuperValu Cherry Tomatoes Punnet (250 Grams)
    €0.79 €3.16 per kg

and then

SuperValu Organic Cherry Vine Tomatoes (250 Grams)
    €2.49 €9.96 per kg

So my guess is aldi might have 500g packs, and so double up the organic supervalu ones to make them seem more expensive (big pack sizes are typically cheaper per gram). The tesco ones they mention also appear to be 250g for 79c packs. So tesco & supervalu are the same price.

They might have other rules to suit them, previous surveys would ignore offers which was unfair to tesco, who at the time of the survey I saw had ridiculous amounts of stuff on offer -i.e. it was not really an offer but the usual price.

They could have had some rule here about things not being in stock, or just pretended they did not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That's really poor tbh - you could not trust that data at all as the cherry tomatoes example shows. Also SV do a much cheaper vintage cheddar than €5 (as do Dunnes as far as I remember, they obviously picked the most expensive option). I can't believe they paid Grant Thornton to produce such unreliable data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Aldi commission a survey on prices and come out best. Imagine that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I didn't think Aldi would do that but you never know....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Aldi commission a survey on prices and come out best. Imagine that!!

Where does it mention that Aldi commissioned it?

Probably makes sense then that Aldi come across considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Probably makes sense then that Aldi come across considerably cheaper.

Chap who conducted it was on with Pat Kenny this morning. Aldi commissioned Grant Thornton to conduct the survey.

Chap who conducted it was on with Pat Kenny this morning. Aldi commissioned Grant Thornton to conduct the survey.

Pointless survey then - why have they given it airtime.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/major-survey-reveals-supermarket-cheapest-12310067
    Commenting on the survey, Group Managing Director at Aldi Ireland, Giles Hurley said: “Grant Thornton’s comprehensive survey of grocery prices has proven what our customers have always known - Aldi is the most price competitive and best value retailer in Ireland.

“Our proposition is simple - we won’t be beaten on price and we have proved this time and time again. We will always discount the market by at least 15% on a basket of goods.”

SuperValu responded to the survey by insisting the findings are not accurate.

A spokesman said: "SuperValu has only received the data this afternoon and is currently reviewing it.

"Our fundamental questions with regard to this morning’s price comparison survey conducted by Grant Thornton on behalf of ALDI remain.
    it's like something out of the simpsons or southpark!! the laughable backslapping they even give to the now completely & utterly discredited "independent" survey company!

how did they think they hide it, especially when there are is such blatant scamming going on. WTF was going on in their tiny minds to think it would not be questioned.

Irish times had this up
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/survey-finds-47-difference-in-cost-of-own-brand-food-items-1.3450530

and then this!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/supervalu-and-tesco-criticise-aldi-backed-price-survey-1.3451925

That Pope lad is some cluless tit...

If you have irish times limits, right click and view ingocnitco, works in chrome, in other browsers try "private" or similar. Only if you want to see the guff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The problem is that a lot of people will just read the headline stat: Aldi 47% cheaper, and not think any more about it or in any critical way (what products, who conducted it etc.) I feel sorry for the likes of Dunnes & SV as it is misrepresenting them

The problem is that a lot of people will just read the headline stat: Aldi 47% cheaper, and not think any more about it or in any critical way (what products, who conducted it etc.) I feel sorry for the likes of Dunnes & SV as it is misrepresenting them

I'm sure there's plenty of groups like Grant Thornton to carry out these insightful surveys on their behalf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunnes now giving out coupon in freesheets
    56k copies of Advertiser are printed.
    Coupon valid until 14/04.

vCMhlCJ.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

zell12 wrote: »

vCMhlCJ.jpg?1
    Any other papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

I find Aldi no cheaper than Tesco and Dunnes for most things. I think Supervalu is probably the most expensive for the types of things I buy.

I used to find Aldi cheap for cereals but now I see Tesco have matched their prices so rarely need to go to Aldi now. Aldi sometimes have promo's on meat and of course their super 6 but in general no cheaper than Dunnes, in fact Dunnes I find the cheapest for poultry and meat especially when you take off the shop and spend vouchers but even without them, they generally cheaper per kg.

Tesco seem to be the best for fruit and veg tho, their prices are generally better with better selection. Also, Tesco do beef for stir fry at a silly price per kg, and it is pretty good beef for the price (4.73 per kg, I think)

I do not buy a great deal of processed foods so can not really comment on them but noticed that things like biscuits and sweets are silly cheap in Aldi.

Anyway, I love the supermarket price wars so they fight among themselves over prices as much as they want too, great for the consumers :D

honeybear wrote: »
    Any other papers?

Out of curiosity, why do you need the papers? In my local store these shop and spend vouchers are given out with every purchase, even if you buy something for a few euros you get an 8 euro off a 40 euro spend. And, when I spend 25 euros I get the 5 euro off 25 euros and the 8 euro off the 40 euro spend. I love it, then when I fancy a shopping trip to Tesco I use one of my Dunnes 8 euro off 40 euro spend with them, I get a funny look most times from the check out operators but I can put up with that to save 20% on my shopping bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Phil1969 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why do you need the papers?
    Because, in this case, it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

zell12 wrote: »

vCMhlCJ.jpg?1

are they just handing them out in the shop? which Dunnes was this?

casio4 wrote: »

Sorry, no not just handing them out. I bought a small bottle of water and for 1.50 euros but was given an 8 euro off 40 euro spend. So, you had to spend something to get it.

Of course, the free vouchers in the papers are great for anyone who rarely shops in Dunnes. Once you start shopping there regularly then you get your shop and spend vouchers each time which last for 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

casio4 wrote: »

Sorry, no not just handing them out. I bought a small bottle of water and for 1.50 euros but was given an 8 euro off 40 euro spend. So, you had to spend something to get it.

Of course, the free vouchers in the papers are great for anyone who rarely shops in Dunnes. Once you start shopping there regularly then you get your shop and spend vouchers each time which last for 10 days.

Very rarely I get a voucher in dunnes unless I spend 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Out of curiosity, why do you need the papers? In my local store these shop and spend vouchers are given out with every purchase, even if you buy something for a few euros you get an 8 euro off a 40 euro spend. And, when I spend 25 euros I get the 5 euro off 25 euros and the 8 euro off the 40 euro spend. I love it, then when I fancy a shopping trip to Tesco I use one of my Dunnes 8 euro off 40 euro spend with them, I get a funny look most times from the check out operators but I can put up with that to save 20% on my shopping bills.

So do you mean the cashier gives out the voucher automatically or do you ask do they have any vouchers?

gerard2210 wrote: »

Strange, maybe everyone does not get them. I do not always use my loyalty card in Dunnes and other supermarkets because I know they use that info to target you for different types of offers but maybe they also do it with the shop and save vouchers. I suppose once they know you shop each week or more then no need to keep giving you so many money off vouchers.

Unless it is to do with specific stores, I use the store Wexford town.

ando wrote: »
    So do you mean the cashier gives out the voucher automatically or do you ask do they have any vouchers?

I get them automatically. However, it does not seem to be all the time as rarely I buy only a few items. Most of the time I will spend pretty much the value of the voucher. I generally use the 25 spend and get 5 euro off and keep doing that each shop. If I up my shop to 40 euros then I normally only get a 8 euro off 40 euros spend.

This weekend I will spend 65 euros and use the 8 euro off 40 euro spend and the 5 euro off 25 euro spend so for a 65 euro spend, I pay 52 euros. I then use my AIB debit card and get my 10 euro back from AIB rewards. So, spend 42 euros for a 65 euro shop :cool:

gerard2210 wrote: »

I only ever get a voucher if I spend over €50, unless I'm in one of the few stores that give out the €5 off €25 spend vouchers.

I've been using the €10 off €40 spend vouchers that arrived in the post the past few weeks and haven't got any new vouchers at the till (just spent the minimum €40 each time).

Quackster wrote: »
    I only ever get a voucher if I spend over €50, unless I'm in one of the few stores that give out the €5 off €25 spend vouchers.

I've been using the €10 off €40 spend vouchers that arrived in the post the past few weeks and haven't got any new vouchers at the till (just spent the minimum €40 each time).

It must depend on the individual store, I generally only use the 5 euro off 25 euro spend vouchers and then shop twice a week. I avoid using the bigger spends as then you are stuck with big spends each time. I presumed all the stores give the 5 euro off 25 euro spend when you spend between 25 and 39.99 but once you hit 40 euros you will only get the 8 euro off voucher for next shop.

It must depend on the individual store, I generally only use the 5 euro off 25 euro spend vouchers and then shop twice a week. I avoid using the bigger spends as then you are stuck with big spends each time. I presumed all the stores give the 5 euro off 25 euro spend when you spend between 25 and 39.99 but once you hit 40 euros you will only get the 8 euro off voucher for next shop.

No, it's only a small number of their generally smaller city stores that issue the €5 off €25 spend vouchers (and their NI stores issue £5 off £25 spend vouchers). Most are in Dublin, with one or two in each of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Wexford seems the odd one out here - maybe it's a smaller than usual store and/or they've particularly low market-share in the town?

Yea I never see the €5 off €25 spend! I'm lucky to get the €10 off €50 spend. If I dont have a voucher, its an awkward moment with the cashier "would you have any of those €10 off €50 vouchers there?" ..

Their website says what shops supposedly do the different ones.

It could be what you buy too. If I was in control I would sooner be trying to entice people in who bought a small bottle of water for 1.50, rather than someone who solely bought a below cost bottle of vodka.

• Advertisement

This weekend I will spend 65 euros and use the 8 euro off 40 euro spend and the 5 euro off 25 euro spend so for a 65 euro spend, I pay 52 euros. I then use my AIB debit card and get my 10 euro back from AIB rewards. So, spend 42 euros for a 65 euro shop :cool:

Mad that some stores do this and others dont, plus you're using multiple vouchers in one spend.. thought that was not allowed

Advertisement