Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That's unfortunate. Although I've found myself using vouchers in tesco less and less. I wonder if they will bring it back after next supermarket sales index

• Registered Users Posts: 82,308 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rubadub wrote: »
    They were being screwed by the likes of me going in buying cases of guinness for 20euro and then using the dunnes voucher on top of it.

Yes they were fun times, I would sometimes use a couple of vouchers on them in the same day for ultimate bargains. My Clubcard history must have been interesting reading for any of the stato lads in HQ seeing where the big losses were :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

True but we were few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I must admit I really hammered Tesco with these vouchers and I used them in conjunction with gift cards too, good times.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Tesco online terms and conditions haven't been updated, unless it is the coupons could still be valid for online delivery?
    https://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Tesco online terms and conditions haven't been updated, unless it is the coupons could still be valid for online delivery?

it is not to come in until wednesday

Just spoke to Tesco customer services and they said they have been told it’s ending on Wednesday nationwide and she doesn’t know if it’s permanent or not but advised anyone with vouchers to use them before Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Just spoke to Tesco customer services and they said they have been told it’s endinv on Wednesday nationwide and she doesn’t know if it’s permanent or not but advised anyone with vouchers to use them before Wednesday
    But I already spread that gospel yesterday morning.

zell12 wrote: »
    But I already spread that gospel yesterday morning.

But there was no confirmation if that was nationwide or select stores

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We won't be buying the Sunday paper for a long time.

• Advertisement

RIP
    9JF7RYN.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I had an €8 off €40 that I used yesterday
    456565.jpg

I'll miss the challenge of trying to get as close to the minimum spend:)

CH3OH wrote: »
    I had an €8 off €40 that I used yesterday
    456565.jpg
    I'll miss the challenge of trying to get as close to the minimum spend:)
    Do you go around with a scientific calculator? :pac:
    Well done, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »

changed now

Competitor coupons
    Given the exceptionally low prices available in store and online, ‘spend and save’ coupons from other supermarkets will no longer be accepted. To find out more about our latest offers or shop online, click here. Thank you.

M

Feck all good booze deals in Tesco today, they should have given us one last hurrah for old times sake ðŸ˜.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Feck all good booze deals in Tesco today, they should have given us one last hurrah for old times sake ðŸ˜.

Meh, I always end up drinking them in a drunken blaze anyway. The vocuhers going could be a life changing event for me

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Used a 5 off 30 supervalu coupon last Wednesday was hoping to do the same tomorrow. Wish I'd seen this thread earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Feck all good booze deals in Tesco today, they should have given us one last hurrah for old times sake

Tesco will pay for this ;)

vicwatson wrote: »

No they won’t
    Prices are dropping in store. If anything dunnes will get hammered and then stop the vouchers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No they won’t
    Prices are dropping in store. If anything dunnes will get hammered and then stop the vouchers

I don't know- I definitely use a local Supervalu more- despite its startling prices- since they started doing the personalised 15% off all your shopping cards. I'd imagine there will be quite a few people who were using Tesco solely when they had a spare voucher, or two- who won't bother anymore (myself included). I didn't buy alcohol there- unless it was something I was specifically looking out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

No they won’t

So Dunnes will stop vouchers because Tesco won't take them.
    That sounds about rlght???

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No they won’t 

If Dunnes are the only ones honouring their vouchers it will have an impact on them, previously they were issuing vouchers that they didn't always have to cash as their competitors took the hit to draw customers in.

Tesco's profit margins are around 9% historically (9 year old article.. but the first Irish one I came across Irish Times) so giving a 20% discount because you shopped elsewhere is a lot for the store to take on it's been a loss leader in the hope of repeat business.
    It's surprising it lasted this long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Would this imply a much higher grocery margin for Dunnes (as they don't publish accounts, obviously its hard to tell)?
    When you look at specific promotions they've run- such as 25% off wine + another 20% from a voucher- in the instance of wine, they were shoveling it out the door for less than the duty on each bottle- which obviously isn't sustainable. But when you look at other grocery items- they're not actually massively more expensive that competitors (and if you look at some chains- like Supervalu- they're actually significantly cheaper for branded goods- to say nothing of all the till misprices that seem to plague Supervalu).

It has been a good run- both for people using their vouchers in Tesco- and for those using them in Dunnes itself. I'd suggest that Dunnes will most probably move onto a seasonal discount schedule again- that they'll abandon the blanket never-ending till spits- in favour of Back-to-school, Christmas and Easter (possibly a few other times)- and then have separate alcohol offers to try pull people in?

Dunnes are actively refocusing their grocery offerings- targeting specific demographics- look at the mess in Cornelscourt that they're so proud of- while at the same time- Maynooth, Galway and elsewhere- are being retargeted at the student sector (which in the case of Maynooth- involves dropping a number of grocery lines- and massively expanding its alcohol section..........)

I'm just not convinced. Its been a good run while it lasted- but if Dunnes pull this ongoing offer- regardless of Tesco stopping accepting competitor's coupons- it is going to eat into Dunnes too- I think the day of being loyal to any particular store- are consigned to history.

I foresee Aldi and Lidl reproducing their 10 off €50 vouchers in time

No they won’t

I for one will be less inclined to shop in Tesco, that's for fact. Only shopped there because of the Dunnes vouchers

Now that would be good but they would increase prices to cover the loss surely, it’s hard to beat ALDI and Lidl for price and the food is much better these days.
    I heard Tesco are launching a new chain of shops to rival ALDI and Lidl in the uk, doubt they will do the same here.

M

A nation holds its breath :D

Now that would be good but they would increase prices to cover the loss surely, it’s hard to beat ALDI and Lidl for price and the food is much better these days.
    I heard Tesco are launching a new chain of shops to rival ALDI and Lidl in the uk, doubt they will do the same here.

They didnt raise prices the last time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

They've been doing that for years! Not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Fann Linn wrote: »

In a way yes. Dunnes will probably stop there newspaper insert vouchers as one of the reasons was to hurt Tesco in the pocket as they knew that thousands of them would be used in Tesco.

Many of their regular customers had vouchers from their previous week's shop, so the newspaper voucher was no use.

Very clever of dunnes.

Advertisement