Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I e seen tesco and sv people picking orders. They dont give a fook. I'd never use it

Same

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Tesco and SuperValu don’t make profit from deliveries it’s actually costing them money when you factor in the fleet expenses a driver and diesel so dunnes won’t lose out at all

Are you an accountant working for Tesco or did you just work that out on the back of an envelope?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Are you an accountant working for Tesco or did you just work that out on the back of an envelope?

I spent five years working in the finance side of Tesco Ireland if you must know

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I spent five years working in the finance side of Tesco Ireland if you must know

why do they do it then? they are not a charity so there must be some financial reason to do it, and therefore by not doing it Dunnes are not availing of whatever benefit this is, be it goodwill/advertising or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

rubadub wrote: »
    why do they do it then? they are not a charity so there must be some financial reason to do it, and therefore by not doing it Dunnes are not availing of whatever benefit this is, be it goodwill/advertising or whatever.
    Tesco are trying to get market share by offering more avenues for purchase. Invest first, reap profit much much later
    https://foleyretailconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Online-shopping-how-can-supermarkets-make-money.pdf

• Advertisement

To get customers into the habit of shopping there and spend more money in store getting top up shops where customers are likely to go off script and buy randoms items they wouldn’t normally buy
    Dunnes have a different tactic of hitting that target market by issuing the spend and save vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Did Lidl's third party home delivery service stop ?

( I dont see any mention of it anymore )

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

0lddog wrote: »
    Did Lidl's third party home delivery service stop ?

( I dont see any mention of it anymore )

Buymie. Still going and actually submitted a proposal to the government last week to try to help stop the spread and increase deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

sceach16 wrote: »
    I have only seen these in a couple of city centre (Dublin) shops. They are not the norm around Dublin (my observation/opinion).

I get them all the time in Dublin as long as I use my clubcard on my transaction. I get my receipt and a 5 off €25 voucher. Occasionally it changes to 8 off €40 but it's nearly always 5/25. I've had them from Pavilions in Swords, Northside Shopping Centre, Donaghmede Shopping Centre, North Earl St and Henry St. Possibly other Dunnes too but these would be the main ones I'd be in. Perhaps it's customer specific as my sister never gets them.

It’s not that I must know. You made a very basic statement that both Tesco and super value loose money by offering a delivery service so I was wondering how you knew. So you have an insight into Tesco then. How much I don’t know, as working in the finance side could mean anything from being the FC to the girl who does up the daily cash sheets. Unless you had a high profile position, I doubt you would really know an awful lot. Now unless you also tell me you had a similar job in super value I’m going to take it that you are just guessing about them loosing money by offering delivery service.

I’m not trying to be smart, but I am an accountant and can tell you that I do not believe that Tesco would still be doing deliveries if it cost them. As the FC of a company, I can tell you people who work in my dept may have an idea of what goes on, but in truth, they haven’t a clue.

Did you ever hear of something called a loss leader. It’s where a company will sell something below cost in order to get you in the door and spend on other products.

Now I’ve no idea about Tesco as I don’t work there, but while I do appreciate that they would have high overheads as gene laid out with drivers and fuel etc, they also save on overheads from b&m shops by delivering.

I’m sure on smaller orders Tesco may suffer a loss but the overheads remain pretty constant so for the bigger orders, profit. Full vans = more profit than half full ones. Proper route planning, same. More delivery’s will be more efficient in cost control.... more profit. It all adds up. I’m sure in its infancy, the deliveries were a cost, that’s only natural, but they are well established now but I’ve no doubt some routes will still cost.

As you say, they are not a charity so they will no be doing this for free, it benefits them and adds to their bottom line somehow.

But the winner has to be they get customers away from dunnes, Lidl etc. The family who spends a few hundred a month with them instead of the opposition. There is profit in (probably) every order and it all adds up. So offering a delivery service probably adds millions upon millions to their turnover every year.

• Advertisement

To get customers into the habit of shopping there and spend more money in store getting top up shops where customers are likely to go off script and buy randoms items they wouldn’t normally buy
    Dunnes have a different tactic of hitting that target market by issuing the spend and save vouchers

My wife shops online with Tesco. But top up shops are done in other stores mostly, so I don’t believe habit of shopping somewhere online will sway someone into going to Tesco for the top up shops. That’s go to a convenience factor.
    But yes, it’s the random items thrown into the trolley that works for the retailer. Actually my wife rarely goes off piste when shopping online. I wheel the trolley around wherever I go and chuck the deals into it by the bootload! So online shopping in that respect is not as beneficial to the retailer I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

MB05 wrote: »
    sceach16 wrote: »
    I have only seen these in a couple of city centre (Dublin) shops. They are not the norm around Dublin (my observation/opinion).

I get them all the time in Dublin as long as I use my clubcard on my transaction. I get my receipt and a 5 off €25 voucher. Occasionally it changes to 8 off €40 but it's nearly always 5/25. I've had them from Pavilions in Swords, Northside Shopping Centre, Donaghmede Shopping Centre, North Earl St and Henry St. Possibly other Dunnes too but these would be the main ones I'd be in. Perhaps it's customer specific as my sister never gets them.

Interesting. I have shopped in most of those and North Earl street is the only one I saw it in. I usually have a 10/50 voucher so I wonder if they are given to those who did not use a voucher. Target marketing might be in operation.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Interesting. I have shopped in most of those and North Earl street is the only one I saw it in. I usually have a 10/50 voucher so I wonder if they are given to those who did not use a voucher. Target marketing might be in operation.

Ye're talking about two separate offers!

The smaller stores, mainly in the cities, give out a €5 off €25 spend voucher when you spend between €25 and €49.99 on groceries.

There is a separate customer-specific offer that applies in all stores that, on swiping your ValueClub card, you will receive either a €5 off €25 or €8 off €40 voucher, no matter the value of your transaction and whether it was on groceries or not.

Quackster wrote: »
    Ye're talking about two separate offers!

The smaller stores, mainly in the cities, give out a €5 off €25 spend voucher when you spend between €25 and €49.99 on groceries.

There is a separate customer-specific offer that applies in all stores that, on swiping your ValueClub card, you will receive either a €5 off €25 or €8 off €40 voucher, no matter the value of your transaction and whether it was on groceries or not.

I fall into the second category. I rarely spend more than €20 in Dunnes at a time. A lot of the time it could be just a couple of euro. Perhaps they know I shop there regularly enough but not in big enough amounts to ever be tempted by a 10 off 50 voucher. Most of the time I pass the voucher I get on to other family members and they use it so perhaps they think this strategy is working on me. I also get them when I buy stuff in the Drapery Dept of Dunnes. Basically every time I swipe my valueclub card I get a till spit out.

I fall into the second category. I rarely spend more than €20 in Dunnes at a time. A lot of the time it could be just a couple of euro. Perhaps they know I shop there regularly enough but not in big enough amounts to ever be tempted by a 10 off 50 voucher. Most of the time I pass the voucher I get on to other family members and they use it so perhaps they think this strategy is working on me. I also get them when I buy stuff in the Drapery Dept of Dunnes. Basically every time I swipe my valueclub card I get a till spit out.

Even if you just spend a few quid? I used to get them for spending feck all, like a lunch sandwich deal or something. but it’s been yonks since I got anything other than a 10 off 50. Never get anything at all for spends under 50 no matter where I shop

Seve OB wrote: »
    Even if you just spend a few quid? I used to get them for spending feck all, like a lunch sandwich deal or something. but it’s been yonks since I got anything other than a 10 off 50. Never get anything at all for spends under 50 no matter where I shop

I literally went into Dunnes today to get the bare essentials. I spent €4.29 and got a 5 off 25 voucher with my receipt. Valid until 14/04/20 so they definitely extended the validity period on them. Mind you I'm not sure if they should be running this offer over while we are going through this national emergency. It is paper based and they are trying to prevent people using cash let alone vouchers. It also encourages people to buy more to reach the €25 or €50 threshold, Fine under normal circumstances but we don't want people dithering in the shops or taking multiples just to make up the balance at a time when the supply chains are under pressure.

Would be much better if it could be scanned from your valuecard or deducts automatically when you reach the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,733 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I literally went into Dunnes today to get the bare essentials. I spent €4.29 and got a 5 off 25 voucher with my receipt. Valid until 14/04/20 so they definitely extended the validity....
    Did you scan your valucard? that triggered the coupon?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It also encourages people to buy more to reach the €25 or €50 threshold, Fine under normal circumstances but we don't want people dithering in the shops or taking multiples just to make up the balance at a time when the supply chains are under pressure.
    I would be in 2 minds about that. I have said before the same voucher should really have multiple options, 5/25. 10/50, 20/100, let the customer decide.

I used a 10/50 in tesco today, I knew I had it so I planned ahead on what to get (I rarely have lists before now), I wanted to be in & out ASAP for the benefit of everybody. I had not been to the shop in over a week which is unusual for me. I made a conscious effort to make less visits. I live very close to the shops so just walk over, used to be a case of popping over just to get some fresh air.

I see a woman on my road who has not appeared to have changed her buying at all, I see her over and back once or twice a day, able to carry the stuff in just her hands sometimes, not even a bag. (my tv is at the front window so I notice these comings & goings, which have otherwise dropped dramatically).

The shop is now restricting the amount of people inside, so some old person might have to wait outside while she is in there just getting 1 or 2 things she could have got on her earlier visit that day.

I would be in 2 minds about that. I have said before the same voucher should really have multiple options, 5/25. 10/50, 20/100, let the customer decide.

mehh, that would not be good marketing. they want you to spend more so thats why its mostly a 10 off 50. lets face it, if you have a voucher and have 30 quids with of groceries, you'll probably walk around and find 20 quids worth of stuff you know you are getting for a tenner!

zell12 wrote: »
    Did you scan your valucard? that triggered the coupon?

Yes, I only get them if I scan my card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Happy4

Anyone know the weekly wonders this week (if they have any).. or booze deals?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I usually get it of the dunne stores site they don’t seem to have any this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Happy4 wrote: »
    Anyone know the weekly wonders this week (if they have any).. or booze deals?

Thanks

They didn't seem to have any weekly wonders last week.... They had very little on special offer in the store from what I could see.

They kinda have us over a barrel... Most people will only venture out to one supermarket and buy what they need regardless of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given that most of their stores have a policy now of only letting in a small number of people at a time due to social distancing, then it makes sense not to be having special offers on that attract large crowds queuing outside. That and they are probably trying to priorities management of essential stock quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I see Dunnes have extended the validity of the €10 vouchers from 10 days to 21 days. Does anyone know if it's only new that are printed with the extended dates, or would old vouchers now be valid for 21 days from when they were issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

pigtail33 wrote: »
    I see Dunnes have extended the validity of the €10 vouchers from 10 days to 21 days. Does anyone know if it's only new that are printed with the extended dates, or would old vouchers now be valid for 21 days from when they were issued?

New ones only

pigtail33 wrote: »

They’ve been doing it well over a week now so I suspect there is very little validity if even any left on older ones at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Do the Sunday papers still have vouchers for dunnes ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

degzs wrote: »
    Do the Sunday papers still have vouchers for dunnes ?

Not at the moment. If you need some, I've spares. PM your address and I'll pop in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Quackster wrote: »
    Not at the moment. If you need some, I've spares. PM your address and I'll pop in the post.

Great thanks so much

Advertisement