Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Shop & Save [TESCO NOT ACCEPTING THEM]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Quackster wrote: »
    Since the last few days before Christmas, vouchers issued have had an extended validity to January 9th. As people spend a good bit more approaching Christmas and would therefore receive extra vouchers, I'd presume it's to give them the chance to use them all.

When we get within ten days of January 9th and if at that point the vouchers being issued still have that as their expiry date, only then would it be fair to assume it's coming to an end.

I got one on Sunday with the 10th on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

More bargains this week! 75g of lettuce for 49c!
    gmLxgRq.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sortitout

I'm not sure what you want - do you work for or on behalf of a competitor?

I would have said a normal price for a 75G of mixed leaves/lettuce was between €1.19-€1.59. So in the context of this - i buy at least one of these a week - 49c is good value, especially if you take another 20% off.

I think you like being outraged at the trivial!

Likewise- those poor aul sweet potatoes you picked on last week were monster sized for 99c. Not like the piddly wee yokes you get elsewhere.

Get a life, I think. Or at least a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

^^
    guess it bugged somebody enough to register so it's welcome aboard I guess :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mailburner wrote: »
    ^^
    guess it bugged somebody enough to register so it's welcome aboard I guess :D

Not so- they actually registered 5 weeks ago- they were just lurking until that post.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sortitout

Haha, I registered weeks ago to complain to Eir, but the mobile site was bugging out.

Nice work Sherlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

rubadub wrote: »
    crazy, but some might fall for it, "sure its on offer!"

tesco are still accepting the dunnes ones.

all 3 colours of peppers are reduced to 49c in tesco from 69cent

SAVE 20c Was 69c Now 49c
    valid from 28/12/2016 until 17/1/2017

I think the best plan of action is to buy up stuff which is on offer or always a lot cheaper in dunnes and then use the voucher on what is cheap in tesco. I have loads of tesco ones and no idea what to buy, I know about phone credit.

I wondered if anything was significantly cheaper in dunnes to buy up and then use the voucher in tesco.

Using your Dunnes voucher in TESCO means that you have then to spend a further 50 in Dunnes in order to get back into their scheme. I don't see the point in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gooser14 wrote: »
    I don't see the point in that.
    you obviously have to figure out if its worthwhile or not.

take those peppers, the dunnes were 99c, lets say a euro, in tesco they were 49cent, lets say 50cent,

If I went to tesco 40euro would have got me 100 peppers (50 with the tenner off) and no subsequent voucher.

In dunnes 40euro would get me 50peppers, and a voucher for 10 off my next shop. So I spend 40euro again to get 50peppers. Now I do get another voucher for €10, but even if they handed me over €10 cash it would have been 40+40-10=70euro for 100 peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

you obviously have to figure out if its worthwhile or not.

take those peppers, the dunnes were 99c, lets say a euro, in tesco they were 49cent, lets say 50cent,

If I went to tesco 40euro would have got me 100 peppers (50 with the tenner off) and no subsequent voucher.

In dunnes 40euro would get me 50peppers, and a voucher for 10 off my next shop. So I spend 40euro again to get 50peppers. Now I do get another voucher for €10, but even if they handed me over €10 cash it would have been 40+40-10=70euro for 100 peppers

SEC/NCCA should totally steal that for a Leaving Cert Maths question!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dunnes is no more expensive than Tesco across the board - it all depends on the individual items you buy.

Two 3 litre cartons of milk €4 in Dunnes. Try beating that in Tesco et al.

Two 500 sheet reams of 80gsm printer paper €6 in Dunnes. Again try beating that.

Where Dunnes falls down though is their own-brand range doesn't have the same breadth as Tesco's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Using your Dunnes voucher in TESCO means that you have then to spend a further 50 in Dunnes in order to get back into their scheme. I don't see the point in that.

I tend to find that Tesco have some stuff that Dunnes do not (and visa versa), plus the Tesco might let you use a voucher that it a day or two out of date, Dunnes cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

I tend to find that Tesco have some stuff that Dunnes do not (and visa versa), plus the Tesco might let you use a voucher that it a day or two out of date, Dunnes cannot.

That is no longer true. Even one date out vouchers will not go through at the till. I tried to use a dunnes voucher and it would not scan as it was one day out. Lady said there is no way to process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are edge cases where it makes sense

I don't spend 100 every two weeks in Dunnes (or at all) and would occasionally have reason to buy other items in Tesco. Also, Tesco's self service tills still allow stacking their own shop and save vouchers if you get the assistant to enter the other shop one first then scan the Tesco one... although some stores will insist you use a normal checkout with vouchers my local one doesn't.

Last Dunnes S&S voucher got used with an 8 off 40 in the post from Tesco for 18 off 50 at a self service. Everything bought was already on offer - Tesco lost a lot of money on that transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

phester28 wrote: »
    That is no longer true. Even one date out vouchers will not go through at the till. I tried to use a dunnes voucher and it would not scan as it was one day out. Lady said there is no way to process it.

My local Tesco do not scan the actual Dunnes Voucher, so they would not pickup on the date unless the shop assistant noticed it.

Latest Kantar grocery market-share figures covering the Christmas period show Tesco has almost closed the gap on SuperValu and Dunnes while Aldi & Lidl both saw a significant decline.

Clearly Aldi/Lidl have suffered the consequence of not having any spend & save vouchers running up to Christmas while the other three supermarkets were spewing them out.

www.kantarworldpanel.com/ie/grocery-market-share/ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Latest Kantar grocery market-share figures covering the Christmas period show Tesco has almost closed the gap on SuperValu and Dunnes while Aldi & Lidl both saw a significant decline.

Clearly Aldi/Lidl have suffered the consequence of not having any spend & save vouchers running up to Christmas while the other three supermarkets were spewing them out.

I think its also that ALDI and Lidl have crept in prices and people are noticing. When the difference isn't as extreme in the cost of the basic shop then its easier to go to Tesco or Dunnes where you can get everything on your shopping list rather than doing a separate shop for those things once a month which is what a lot of people were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

on the 23rd Dec my wife did the xmas shop in Dunnes (Square, Tallaght). ALL the tills had queues the length of the aisles. Think she was about 45mins before she reached the till.

Anyway, straight after we went into Tesco, 50m down the corridor, to get wine as they had a great deal. The place was empty, half the tills open and max of two people at some of the tills.

Something went badly wrong for that Tesco. I'd say they lost a fortune compared to Dunnes over xmas, branch versus branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

I was down the road in Dunnes, Ashleaf on the same day and queued for 50min with all the tills open. Usually go to Tesco Rwthfwrnham and never remember queuing as long!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think its also that ALDI and Lidl have crept in prices and people are noticing. When the difference isn't as extreme in the cost of the basic shop then its easier to go to Tesco or Dunnes where you can get everything on your shopping list rather than doing a separate shop for those things once a month which is what a lot of people were doing.

The other supermarkets also have loyalty cards. It's another bonus for me with Dunnes that I can get the same shop, shop and save vouchers and value club points.
    I also buy my fruit in Dunnes anyway - most basics work out at roughly the same price or exactly the same price in Dunnes and Aldi/Lidl (veg, meat, toilet rolls, kitchen rolls, milk/dairy products tin foil etc)
    I know lidl are 25 cent cheaper than dunnes for a dozen large free range eggs which is probably the most significant price difference I've noticed for the shops I get.

It would be interesting to see the actual profits. I spent several hundred euro in tesco over christmas and they would have made a fairly big loss on it, I used vouchers on everything. While I spent maybe just €50 in lidl and they would have made a profit.

The other supermarkets also have loyalty cards.
    I actually got a lidl discount card in the post. It was for a new shop and you spend €30 or more and got free stuff over the next 2 months. I wonder if they are testing the water on cards. I also got several €10 off €50 spends for lidl that I used in tesco. Everytime I used a voucher in tesco I got 2 more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I actually got a lidl discount card in the post. It was for a new shop and you spend €30 or more and got free stuff over the next 2 months. I wonder if they are testing the water on cards. ...
    Whaa?
    I am sooo jealous. What kind of freebies? cookies?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whaa?
    I am sooo jealous. What kind of freebies? cookies?

Can only remember boring stuff, toilet roll one week, and bottled water another. I think there were added discounts on other things too depending on the week. I gave the card away as I was not going to be shopping in the new branch. It was like a tesco keyring size card.

I gave it to someone who lived near, seemingly no vouchers came in the door for people living close to the new shop. But I know 2 others who got them who live a few miles away. Must have figured they did not have to entice locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think its also that ALDI and Lidl have crept in prices and people are noticing.

Depends what you buy - I've noticed some of my core purchases going down in price. Some stuff has actually reduced in quality, significantly so, though. Mid range toilet roll has gone from fine to sandpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

snor wrote: »
    I was down the road in Dunnes, Ashleaf on the same day and queued for 50min with all the tills open. Usually go to Tesco Rwthfwrnham and never remember queuing as long!
    Snap, I thought they must have been giving it away free in Ashleaf. Went to Tesco Rathfarnham afterwards to buy booze with a 10 off 50 coupon and was in and out in about 10 mins, nobody ahead of me in queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dunnes is no more expensive than Tesco across the board - it all depends on the individual items you buy.

Two 3 litre cartons of milk €4 in Dunnes. Try beating that in Tesco et al.

Two 500 sheet reams of 80gsm printer paper €6 in Dunnes. Again try beating that.

Where Dunnes falls down though is their own-brand range doesn't have the same breadth as Tesco's.

Spot on..it's actually non existent in many areas whereas Tesco could have 3 or 4 different own brand options depending on your budget.
    Ready meals, convenience, nice items is where Dunnes fails big time for me. They are excellent on household products and toiletries though, I don't think anyone beats their offers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

road_high wrote: »
    Spot on..it's actually non existent in many areas whereas Tesco could have 3 or 4 different own brand options depending on your budget.
    Ready meals, convenience, nice items is where Dunnes fails big time for me. They are excellent on household products and toiletries though, I don't think anyone beats their offers.

I'd honestly beg to differ- I find the quality on offer in Tesco is very 'meh' whereas for some products in Dunnes are simply as good as you can get. They have a two for a fiver offer on breakfast items- which includes the remarkable whiskey cured rashers. I chop them up and use them in all manner of cooking- they are incomparable with anything else out there. I used the award winning Tesco Maple bacon tonight- it was ok- nothing special- more because I had it in the freezer and have to clear it.

A shedload of the Dunnes frozen items- are made for them by Waitrose- why they don't highlight this and leverage it to shift what are premium and delicious products- I don't think I'll ever know. I have a nice shortbread bakewell tart which is going to be cooked before breakfast tomorrow morning- and two fussy little monkeys who I know will love a slice with their milk.

If you look around- there is very delicious food in Dunnes- there are certain things to avoid (such as fruit and veg) and even their bakery can be very hit and miss- but if you're familiar with their product ranges- and willing to take a chance- there are so many products in Dunnes that no other retailer sells- that they really should be making a song and a dance about.

My wife stocked up when they were clearing Christmas stock- particularly the pear bomb christmas pudding- not to mention all the Lindt chocolate they were clearing.

I used shop almost exclusively at Tesco- not any more.

Ps- the cashiers will make an effort to get you a few vouchers- if, for whatever reason, you don't have any (such as after your monthly trip to Sainsburys Sprucefield in my case (which is also why the freezer is getting cleared- I have Gyoza and other goodies which need freezing..........)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Why would you avoid their fruit & veg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've noticed a huge difference in the price of tinned food. For example a tin of Red Kidney Beans were "reduced" in Dunnes to €1. In Lidl 23c all the time. Chickpeas similar and the jams in lidl are way better value.

Granola in Lidl is very reasonable also and a big bag, were as it's more expensive in Dunnes and usually a smaller bag/box.

Items like turkey mince are far superior in Dunnes though. The lidl one has 7% fat were as the Dunnes has less than 3% from memory. It's very low anyway and noticeable when cooking with it. Dunnes have started doing nice made up chicken meals too. One with lemon and sage stuffing and another with black pudding and apple.

The fruit and veg in Dunnes I find better as well as it seems to last a little longer (not left in the stock room as long before putting on display?). If I want to cook a cheap meal though and do it on the same day I would pick up veg in Lidl as it can work out far cheaper.

I've been shopping more in Dunnes recently due to the vouchers and the better meat but to be honest I'd nearly say even with the voucher I'm spending more. I used to spend about €50-60 max in Lidl for a weeks shop for two people and now with the Dunnes vouchers I'm still usually hitting the €60-€70 mark and sometimes it can be a little upward of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

People spend €3 more to reach coupon threshold
    Dunnes’s “Shop & Save” initiative.. the average basket now featuring an extra one and a half items – adding up to an additional €3 per trip and €25m for the retailer in the past 12 weeks

• Advertisement

Got a €5 off €25 voucher in Henry St last week. Didn't see any signs in store about it.

Are these €5 off €25 vouchers back again just recently or have they been on the go all the time since before Christmas?

Advertisement