Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Holy God: FF Type-0 HD to come with FFXV demo on March 17th 2015

Options
  • 18-09-2014 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Megatons by Square Enix at Tokyo Game Show 2014:

FF Type-0 hd to be released 17th March 2015, will come with playable FFXV demo.
    It seems ironic and hilarious to say this but after 8 years, but I'm surprised we're going to be able to play a demo in just under 6 months, like a real demo, it's alive and real! I didn't think we'd playing a smidgen of this until 2016 at the earliest.

Those last lines, so self aware, I almost forgive them , lol

Looks a like what I imagined as a kid FF would be in the future, able to get a cars and airship and fly anywhere on a world map, Grand Theft Fantasy. They've playing a lot of Xenoblade that's for sure, cos it's the most exciting, intriguing, radical thing I've seen from the company in YEARS. Legitimate jaw on ground stuff.

Now for reasons why they may be full speed:

The director of Type 0 (which was one of the most critically acclaimed FF ever, is now the sole director of XV), so both games are pushing a similar gritty, grounded aestethic.

http://kotaku.com/tetsuya-nomura-is-no-longer-directing-final-fantasy-xv-1635707308

Right now there is a naked man in Japan running free on a beach somwhere, but surely he'll get a credit, off to work at KH3?

I wonder if this changes the game and the have to cut elements now, hope not, this talented man was struggling with the ambition of a personal project, but it at least it'll be released soon-ish. After watching Les Misearbles, he wanted to turn FFXV into a musical, true story. Still what a cluster****, I will buy the fly on a wall making of documentary. So in 6 months we'll finally be playing a taste of FFXV for better or worse... amazing.

Square making logical decisions again is refreshing.

final_fantasy_15_TGS.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All I can say is thank god Tetsuya Nomura is off the FF15 project. However I feel it's too late to change the story which will to horrendous like all the rest of the stuff he has written.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the game, it's been in development hell for years and has that god awful Nomura aesthetic. The director of Type-0 is great when it comes to game mechanics so hopefully he can salvage a good battle system from the project. It looks like it could be a mix of Xenoblade and Last Story, no bad thing. I still think the game could be a long way off. The FFXII demo was way off the FFXII release and was used to get feedback about the battle system. The final game was greatly changed.

As for the doom mongering about square, other than the misstep of FFXIII (which I still think was a good game) they've been churning out really high quality stuff including the FFXIII sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All I can say is thank god Tetsuya Nomura is off the FF15 project. However I feel it's too late to change the story which will to horrendous like all the rest of the stuff he has written.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the game, it's been in development hell for years and has that god awful Nomura aesthetic. The director of Type-0 is great when it comes to game mechanics so hopefully he can salvage a good battle system from the project. It looks like it could be a mix of Xenoblade and Last Story, no bad thing. I still think the game could be a long way off. The FFXII demo was way off the FFXII release and was used to get feedback about the battle system. The final game was greatly changed.

As for the doom mongering about square, other than the misstep of FFXIII (which I still think was a good game) they've been churning out really high quality stuff including the FFXIII sequels.

The idea of going on this road trip with friends in a final fantasy world is so interesting and unique/inspired. This is so unlike Square Enix.

As for the FFXIII sequels, just no. When you say that Tetsuya Nomura is a bad writer and then praise the XIII trilogy as some really "high quality stuff" sweet baby jesus :eek:. I'm not expecting great writing in games, but it might be at least coherent and not buried in datalogs ,so I'm not embarassed playing it when somebody walks in.

It's also hard to say how the story has changed, it seems to have moved from a full out war story to more of a road trip/ Romeo and Juliet love story all though they may just be seeing different aspects of the one game.

I'd imagine there is going to be sequels to this now that Square have gone to the enormous initial effort of building an open world that they will continue to use and tell stories in it for years to come. It'd be smart thinking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF has always been weak when it comes to story. The story in FFXIII was horrendously bad sure but the gameplay was solid. It was even better in the sequels. They are great RPGs, FFXIII on the other hand has some problems but has a great battle system. And it's not just FFXIII and it's sequels, Square has done some great games outside of that series and on other formats.

And yes Nomura is a god awful writer. Kingdom Hearts is quite possibly the worst written thing created by humankind. At least if the game has fun mechanics underneath it then I can forgive it. God knows FFVIII and the FFXIII games had terrible stories but the mechanics were so much fun to mess around with.

As for a game about going on a road trip with friends, that's pretty much FFX. Final Fantasy being innovative and new is pretty much what defines the series from iteration to iteration so it's not really surprise that FFXV is so different from anything else in the series. That's what Final Fantasy does with the odd exception of the fairly safe FFVII.

FF has always been weak when it comes to story. The story in FFXIII was horrendously bad sure but the gameplay was solid. It was even better in the sequels. They are great RPGs, FFXIII on the other hand has some problems but has a great battle system. And it's not just FFXIII and it's sequels, Square has done some great games outside of that series and on other formats.

And yes Nomura is a god awful writer. Kingdom Hearts is quite possibly the worst written thing created by humankind. At least if the game has fun mechanics underneath it then I can forgive it. God knows FFVIII and the FFXIII games had terrible stories but the mechanics were so much fun to mess around with.

As for a game about going on a road trip with friends, that's pretty much FFX. Final Fantasy being innovative and new is pretty much what defines the series from iteration to iteration so it's not really surprise that FFXV is so different from anything else in the series. That's what Final Fantasy does with the odd exception of the fairly safe FFVII.

The gameplay was good/engaging alright

Adamantium wrote: »
    The gameplay was good/engaging alright

I think the biggest problem was how badly paced it was. It just didn't flow and any story bits were too long and too boring to be interested in. I played it for about 2 hours every night which might have helped my opinion of it because it's not a game conductive to long play sessions, you get sick of it very quickly.

• Advertisement

Love that they're pushing the brotherhood camraderie bros-aspect/character interaction of it which I feel was hugely lacking part of the recent games.

We can see some medievil shacks and towns and the like as they drive along. HD towns finally.

Some of the better moments in Final Fantasy is the initial setup, where the group wander and experiences the world. Setting up the final act and making the whole game tense just messes with a good sense of pace.

FF7 did this well. Bust out of Midgar, not entirely sure where youre going, just following Sephiroth. Its not until late game that you know exactly what you need to do.

eWjIwUa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've been playing Final Fantasy since the very first instalment way back on the NES. For better or worse, regardless of the storyline I've always been a fan of the JRPG game - that FF 15 is looking amazing :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once again, the problem with FFXIII is that it wastes our ****ing time with a repetitive, shallow and frustrating 20 hour tutorial. There is no excuse for it whatsoever, and sucks the lifeblood out of the game. The heavy narrative focus is misguided because the story is so awful. The battle system is solid and interesting, but like the rest of the game it doesn't open up until it has wasted almost a whole day of the player's time. If it had of quickly gotten to the more open, free form exploration aspect it would have been received more favourable. Instead, it shot itself in the foot.

For FFXV to be a success - get to the good stuff quickly. Game design has moved well past the point where excess handholding and time wasting is required. Let us hope FF moves past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Once again, the problem with FFXIII is that it wastes our ****ing time with a repetitive, shallow and frustrating 20 hour tutorial. There is no excuse for it whatsoever, and sucks the lifeblood out of the game. The heavy narrative focus is misguided because the story is so awful. The battle system is solid and interesting, but like the rest of the game it doesn't open up until it has wasted almost a whole day of the player's time. If it had of quickly gotten to the more open, free form exploration aspect it would have been received more favourable. Instead, it shot itself in the foot.

For FFXV to be a success - get to the good stuff quickly. Game design has moved well past the point where excess handholding and time wasting is required. Let us hope FF moves past that.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

These FFXV screenshots are amazing

7M47UG.jpg
    6Ue7Yj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Whats the game that came with a final fantasy XIII demo a few years ago? I'l be picking this up either way so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Regardless of whether or not the gameplay and story kicks arse, it certainly looks very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

cloud493 wrote: »
    Whats the game that came with a final fantasy XIII demo a few years ago? I'l be picking this up either way so.

it was with the Advent Children DVD in japan, outside that it was a downloadable demo.

I do remember a demo for X coming with a ps2 game all that time ago but no idea what game it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

calex71 wrote: »
    it was with the Advent Children DVD in japan, outside that it was a downloadable demo.

I do remember a demo for X coming with a ps2 game all that time ago but no idea what game it was.

It came with ff6 on the ps1.

12 came with the god awful unlimited saga while in te us it came with god damn amazing dragn quest 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Ah yes, good times. I'm amazed to see this getting a release, I always thought this had gone down the last guardian route of unconfirmed cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

12 came with the god awful unlimited saga while in te us it came with god damn amazing dragn quest 8.

There was a large gap between the release of unlimited saga and ff12 so I'd highly doubt this. Are you on about x-2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

That's the worst use of the term "Gameplay" I've ever seen. Four minutes of looking at haircuts and a frog while listening to two dudes chat it out in Japanese... possibly about haircuts and frogs, followed by another minute or two watching a guy hang from a ledge with his sword like Dante. Even when the actual action started, the player character looked like he wanted no part of it.

There was a large gap between the release of unlimited saga and ff12 so I'd highly doubt this. Are you on about x-2?

Yep got that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have been reading about the battle system on GAF and it sounds kinda awful imo. What I'm understanding is you select certain skills and weapons from a menu and then the actual fighting seems to be essentially automated. They seem to have simplified it quite a lot from previously too.

Have been reading about the battle system on GAF and it sounds kinda awful imo. What I'm understanding is you select certain skills and weapons from a menu and then the actual fighting seems to be essentially automated. They seem to have simplified it quite a lot from previously too.

Sounds very like Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story both of which had amazing battle systems so I wouldn't be getting worried. Also the director of the game has a background in making fantastic real time battle systems with only Crisis Core being a bit of a disappointment in that regard. I wouldn't worry the battle system seems to be in good hands.

Have to say it sounds nothing like Xenoblade to me. I really want this game to be good, I loved the series up to a point, but am fairly skeptical about XV at the moment. I've not much faith in SE after some of their recent efforts too. Maybe, hopefully, it plays well.

Have to say it sounds nothing like Xenoblade to me. I really want this game to be good, I loved the series up to a point, but am fairly skeptical about XV at the moment. I've not much faith in SE after some of their recent efforts too. Maybe, hopefully, it plays well.

Other than FFXIII Squares recent output has been excellent and I still think FFXIII wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I'm in this camp. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't trust SE to pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Sounds very like Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story both of which had amazing battle systems so I wouldn't be getting worried. Also the director of the game has a background in making fantastic real time battle systems with only Crisis Core being a bit of a disappointment in that regard. I wouldn't worry the battle system seems to be in good hands.

Crisis Core with a bad battle system what are you smoking ?. I found it a perfect fit for a PSP of all things and the battle system was what i loved about the game and cant wait to try it out again in the newer forum FF type 0 witch i have been wonting to play for years !!!

Wish Square would put it up to buy on the PSN store as i will re buy it no problem

I'm on my phone so annoying to link but the new director has basically stated straight out in a Eurogamer interview that you press the attack button and the game AI does everything else. Sounds rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yeah read the same thing, said he wants to make the game casual so one button/ai fighting and the car can drive itself to the different locations on auto pilot............sounds terribly exciting

I have faith as I said, the guy knows his battle systems and streamlining isn't always a bad thing. Sure how many buttons do you use in a RPG battle anyway.

• Advertisement

I have faith as I said, the guy knows his battle systems and streamlining isn't always a bad thing. Sure how many buttons do you use in a RPG battle anyway.

The number of buttons isn't the issue, it's the fact you don't seem to have direct control over what actions you character takes in combat. We'll see anyway, the demo will reveal a lot hopefully.

Advertisement