Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

METER & CONSUMER UNIT RELOCATION.

Options
  • 18-09-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

We are looking at renovation of a house. Presently, the incoming electricity supply cable runs to the meter and consumer unit in a kitchen at the back of the house.

We are considering relocation of the consumer unit to the hall and the relocation of the ESB main fuse and meter to an external box just the other side of the wall beside it.

What I want to know is how the existing circuits within the house running to the consumer unit in the kitchen can be transferred to the new consumer unit in the hall. Do the existing wires have to be rerun to the new consumer unit ?

Obviously this is a job for an electrical contractor. However, I just want to know how this can be done technically as I want to have some notion of what I am talking about when dealing with an electrician.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It may be possible that a rewire is your best option here. It's unlikely that existing wires are long enough or up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

meercat wrote: »
    It may be possible that a rewire is your best option here. It's unlikely that existing wires are long enough or up to standard.

Thanks.

I feared that it might be a rewire !.

The wiring is relatively new vintage (2000) but the run from the present consumer unit to the proposed new one is about 25 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

An electrical contractor should be able to have a quick look and advise you.
    Speak to Esbn as soon as you can and get a site visit and costs.

Advertisement