Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feliway for settling cats after house move?

• 18-09-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

We will be moving home in a few weeks and I'm trying to plan ahead on how best to help our two cats settle into the new house. They're getting on a bit (14 on their last birthday) and they don't like change. They don't even really get on with each other since we last moved house (when they were 3) - one settled in much more quickly than the other and got all territorial and they've never been the same with each other since.

I'll be doing the usual things like trying to keep them away, as much as possible, from the actual process of moving and trying to have unpacked things in all the rooms of the new house when we bring them over so there are familiar smells everywhere but it will still be hard on them. As will trying to keep them in for the first while, as they're not solely indoor cats and confinement stresses them at the best of times!

Anyway, to get back to my original query, does Feliway help and where's the best place to get it? I've tried a few UK sites e.g. Amazon but there seems to be issues with getting liquids/aerosols delivered to Ireland. Anyone any tips on the best place to buy? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used it when we moved house last year and my cat settled in really quickly. Not sure if it was thanks to the Feliway, but I just wanted to make things as comfortable for her as possible at the time. I've bought it from Amazon and Zooplus in the past, never had an issue getting it delivered. You can also get it in some of the bigger pet shops though, or they may be able to order it in for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've used Feliway with mixed success. It's available from Vio vet and Vet Uk at between 16 and 18 pounds, usually in Ireland it's at least 38 euro. We had huge stress between our cats last year and the things that worked best for our cats were Royal Canin Calm, which is a dry food for cats with a natural product that calms them down. This has been a life saver for us. Another alternative is Zylkene pills, again it's natural and non addictive, the RC Calm has a simillar calming agent to the Zylkene in it.

RC Calm we get from Zooplus and Zylkene we bought from either Vet Uk or Vio vet. Good luck with the move.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Thanks for the feedback, folks, and thanks for the tip about RC Calm - I'll definitely give that a go. I just really want them to settle in and be happy again as quickly as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

I used it but I don't think it really helped all that much. I know people say to keep your cats confined to a room for a couple of days to help them transition, but I didn't do that. As soon as we picked them up from the cattery, I just let them roam around the house and do their own thing. I showed them where their food, water, litter box and scratching tree were and then just kept an eye on them. I feel like this is what helped them settle in as fast as they did. I had no problems whatsoever. Now 4 months on and it's like we never moved :)

tcif wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, folks, and thanks for the tip about RC Calm - I'll definitely give that a go. I just really want them to settle in and be happy again as quickly as possible!

We leave a bowl of the RC Calm down so they nibble it when they want it. We have 4 and they all love it. I really didn't know how we were going to cope last year when 1 of our cats was really aggressive and constantly attacking the stray that moved in. We were at our wits end and I can't believe how much difference the food makes. We were very sceptical before trying it, now I'd never be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I find Feliway fantastic. It's important to remember that the size of the room, whether your home is open plan, and which room your cats hang out in all have a bearing on how effective the diffuser will be.

Had my guys on RC Calm too. I can't say it made a difference, but a friend of mine whose cats were stressed when indoor-only found it great.

boomerang wrote: »
    I find Feliway fantastic. It's important to remember that the size of the room, whether your home is open plan, and which room your cats hang out in all have a bearing on how effective the diffuser will be.

Had my guys on RC Calm too. I can't say it made a difference, but a friend of mine whose cats were stressed when indoor-only found it great.
    I got a 2 kilo bag of the RC Calm at one stage and for some reason it was useless. Don't know if it was a bad batch or what but it didn't work like the 4 kilo bag, that probably sounds mad:D I honestly didn't know what we were going to do before we put them on it. People kept telling us we were going to have to rehome one of them but neither of them are the kind of cats that people would choose to adopt and as you know yourself most people want a cuddly kitten they can pick up, not an adult cat that doesn't like to be held.

Thankfully the food has solved that problem. We were spending so much money on Feliway, 3 on the go at one point, as well as the Zylkene pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

I've ordered a 4kg bag of RC Calm from Zooplus and some Feliway - belt and braces! The kitties are already a bit frazzled from the viewers and the estate agent coming in (we're selling as well as buying which is stressing us all so I might try this stuff myself :D ) and it would be great if getting them onto this a few weeks before the move chills them out before they have to contend with the big change.

Thanks for the advice and fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

tcif wrote: »
    I've ordered a 4kg bag of RC Calm from Zooplus and some Feliway - belt and braces! The kitties are already a bit frazzled from the viewers and the estate agent coming in (we're selling as well as buying which is stressing us all so I might try this stuff myself :D ) and it would be great if getting them onto this a few weeks before the move chills them out before they have to contend with the big change.

Thanks for the advice and fingers crossed!

Oh I know the feeling. I wouldn't go back to those few months if you paid me. Constant viewings which meant getting all the cats into their carriers (they're indoor only) and taking them with us. It was a nightmare every time. Everything worked out fine in the end though and they've settled in great. Good Luck with your move :)

Advertisement