Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin rents up 10.5% from last year

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

drumswan wrote: »
    If the landlord is 'taking the piss' then you dont have to agree to the increase. Telling people to move is way off.

If you don't agree to the increase, the landlord ask you to leave at the end of the tenancy. Giving notice, obviously. Who would ever agree to an increase if it was a case of the landlord asking to increase the rent and the tenant saying no and getting to stay put? Seriously like. :D I'm not telling people to move. I'm saying pay the increase or as others have said, try to negotiate. If neither works, then yeah, you're a-moving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tarzana wrote: »
    If you don't agree to the increase, the landlord ask you to leave at the end of the tenancy. Giving notice, obviously. Who would ever agree to an increase if it was a case of the landlord asking to increase the rent and the tenant saying no and getting to stay put? Seriously like.
    You dont know what you are talking about. The landlord cannot raise the rent above market rate. He cannot 'take the piss' with the rent, its illegal. You assume part 4 rights at the end of the tenancy, the landlord cannot just tell you to leave.

drumswan wrote: »
    You dont know what you are talking about. The landlord cannot raise the rent above market rate. He cannot 'take the piss' with the rent, its illegal. You assume part 4 rights at the end of the tenancy, the landlord cannot just tell you to leave.

It appears I got mixed up in my typing in the first post. If the LL is asking for over the market rent, you can stay and don't have to pay more once you show that he/she is asking for above MV (the onus likely being on the tenant to show that). If he/she is raising it to market rate, not much the OP can do, unless they think the LL will struggle to replace them. They'd likely have to pay the same rent if they move elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It appears I got mixed up in my typing in the first post. If the LL is asking for over the market rent, you can stay and don't have to pay more once you show that he/she is asking for above MV (the onus likely being on the tenant to show that). If he/she is raising it to market rate, not much the OP can do, unless they think the LL will struggle to replace them. They'd likely have to pay the same rent if they move elsewhere.

Yep, thats it. My own is up for renewal shortly, I can hardly wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The tenant doesn't have to do anything but lodge a dispute with the PRTB. The PRTB will then rule it as being market rate or not. There's no onus on the tenant to show anything.

• Advertisement

The tenant doesn't have to do anything but lodge a dispute with the PRTB. The PRTB will then rule it as being market rate or not. There's no onus on the tenant to show anything.

The tenant has to lodge a dispute - the tenant. Obviously, it's the PTRB who'll decide it, but the landlord isn't going to be going to them, now is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The tenant has to lodge a dispute - the tenant. Obviously, it's the PTRB who'll decide it, but the landlord isn't going to be going to them, now is he?

You said the onus was on the tenant to show they're not paying market rent. This is clearly misleading.

Advertisement