Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tindr/POF

• 18-09-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Chatting on a previous thread about the antics of a one "Chris" and his exploits on Tinder got me thinking, are these sites changing how we socially interact with each other?

Are the days of going out and meeting someone gone, replaced by the likes of Tinder and POF?

Do you use these sites? Have you had success?

I have the app for Tinder on my phone but have "swiped" it in a long time.

One of the guys I like with however has great success, every weekend succeeding in arranging a one night stand ( or in some cases a 30 min stand) from the comfort of our own couch.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dating sites are just another venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I can get fed and get laid with my phone, whats not to like eh!!

In my book that is success!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I met my boyfriend on POF after dating a few other nice guys on it and a couple of my friends met their fellas there too. We were sick of drunken meet ups. However lots of my friends have had no luck on POF and tinder so I think its a case of luck and knowing how to weed out the weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I used to live with 5 boys, and they were constantly bringing girls home that they met on tinder. They musta been riddled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You gotta love whenever something new comes up, for some people it's always "the end" for whatever traditional method is also available.

You do realise that people haven't stopped leaving their houses because Tinder exists right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

For the love of criminy, there's an "e" in Tinder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tinder finger is a legitimate ailment these days. Like **** cramp without the lonely nights in, and discarded jizz rags.

I've genuinely given it a break for a while though such is the ease one can become addicted to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Dial Hard wrote: »
    For the love of criminy, there's an "e" in Tinder...

Yeah, OP is confusing it with Grindr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I used to live with 5 boys, and they were constantly bringing girls home that they met on tinder. They musta been riddled

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

**** Downloads Tinder App****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I met my husband on a dating site :) I was only really on them for a bit of fun, married 1 year after our first date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Meeting people online has about a million advantages over meeting people in person.

Why do you say that?

They'd use tinder for rides during the week and then nightclubs for rides on the weekends, they'd average 2/3 girls a week.
    A new guy (with morals) moved into the house and wasn't as into pulling women, they all went out one night, the new guy met this girl he liked and the other lads were trying her too. She ended up going home with one of the players, and not the new guy. The new guy was raging and said it to them and they just were like "puppies don't piss with the big dogs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

They'd use tinder for rides during the week and then nightclubs for rides on the weekends, they'd average 2/3 girls a week.
    A new guy (with morals) moved into the house and wasn't as into pulling women, they all went out one night, the new guy met this girl he liked and the other lads were trying her too. She ended up going home with one of the players, and not the new guy. The new guy was raging and said it to them and they just were like "puppies don't piss with the big dogs"

Did you live in the Geordie Shore house by any chance???

So they did it a lot and didn't really care much of anyone else's from it.

...that isn't what I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm reading this thread and the only thought I have is that "I must buy shares in companies that produce penicillin" ;)

mauzo! wrote: »
    Did you live in the Geordie Shore house by any chance???

I think they base themselves on that house. It has a hot tub too. And they like filling an empty bottle of vodka up with ðirty hot tub water and leaving it there for drunk girls to drink when they bring them back after nights out.

So they did it a lot and didn't really care much of anyone else's from it.

...that isn't what I asked.

What

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What

He asked why you say that they must be 'riddled.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Morals?

Dear God. That backwards ass thinking gives me the sadz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I think they base themselves on that house. It has a hot tub too. And they like filling an empty bottle of vodka up with ðirty hot tub water and leaving it there for drunk girls to drink when they bring them back after nights out.

Do you know if there is any spare rooms there

He asked why you say that they must be 'riddled.'

Tl;dr?

They were riding like rabbits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

UCDVet wrote: »
    Meeting people online has about a million advantages over meeting people in person.

Yet you couldn't even list one... :pac:

Tl;dr?

They were riding like rabbits?

I've read longer.

So what if they got laid a lot. Doesn't mean anything about whether or not they were all going to be riddled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Riddled with SEX.

PHWOAR.

I've read longer.

So what if they got laid a lot. Doesn't mean anything about whether or not they were all going to be riddled.

They had this conversation one night about what they had caught, my landlord had just finished up a course of antibiotics. I'll try find the post I made at the time but basically he said it was nothing to be ashamed of because at some stage of your life you'll catch something and anyone saying they haven't caught anything are either lying or not having sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

They'd use tinder for rides during the week..
    A new guy (with morals) moved into the house and wasn't as into pulling women,

'with morals'

facepalm.
    get the boat.

'with morals'

facepalm.
    get the boat.

As in he thought there was more to life than getting his hole three times a week from random girls. Clearly this is a touchy subject for some. Couldn't be bothered with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As in he thought there was more to life than getting his hole three times a week from random girls. Clearly this is a touchy subject for some. Couldn't be bothered with it.

A stance he is of course welcome to have, but why does this mean the other lads had to stand back and let him work his slow charms on the girl you mentioned in your post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Yet you couldn't even list one... :pac:

I just figured they were obvious.

It's all about economics of scale. If you go to a bar - how many people can you possible meet? And how much time does it take to find out if they have the particular qualities you are looking for? In a bar, you can look and see if they are physically attractive, but that's it. You'll have to invest a lot of time, talking to a lot of people to learn what their long term life goals are, if they want children, if they have a career that is compatible with your lifestyle, etc, etc. There are a million things different people care about.

And, you're only going to be able to meet people *at that bar*. You need to be in close physical proximity to talk to someone.

Online is an entirely different system. You can near instantly search databases contained millions of people. Most sites allow you to filter out people with whom you'd be incompatible with, immediately. Instead of spending a few hours chatting with them over dinner before learning they aren't compatible with you.

Then you've got the cost. Going out to 'social' places is expensive. Transport, cover charge, drinks, food, it's expensive to date. A traditional 'dinner and movie' date costs - what? A lot. And for a lot of people, they don't actually *want* to do those things. When my wife and I were dating, we did lots of crap like that - but now that we're married, we don't. Because neither of us really enjoyed it. We'd rather just stay home and enjoy each others company.

I'd even argue that online dating is safer. In a bar, after a few drinks, people's judgement is impaired and that person you just met, well, you don't know anything about them. Online dating, you can talk to someone for a long time before deciding to meet them, and you can decide whether or not you are interested with a clear head.

Also, a lot of people out and about in social places aren't even available. You won't know that though, until you talk to them. And they might not be interested in you at all, even if they are single. Online dating streamlines the entire process. People who aren't looking for dates, aren't on the site. And if someone isn't interested in you, they can simply click a button. No hurt feelings, no insults, no jokes, just a click.

It's not surprising that people who date online end up in better relationships. If you are hiring someone and only put up a local help-wanted ad - you'll get a few local applicants. But if you advertise nationally, you'll get a lot more applicants and you can select the best from a larger pool.

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-06-06/study-online-dating-leads-to-better-relationships-less-divorce/
    A survey of 19,000 married people found that a third of them met their significant other via an online dating site. And those who met online reported higher levels of satisfaction in their marriages. Couples who met online were also less likely to break up or get divorced.

A stance he is of course welcome to have, but why does this mean the other lads had to stand back and let him work his slow charms on the girl you mentioned in your post?

It's a kinda asshole thing to do, in my humble opinion of course. Pulling a girl you wouldn't even be interested in just so you could "take" her off someone else. Lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's a kinda asshole thing to do, in my humble opinion of course. Pulling a girl you wouldn't even be interested in just so you could "take" her off someone else. Lame.

If thats what happened, but that isn't clear from your original post. You just said the moral guy was interested but so were the other guys and she ended up with one of them.

If they specifically tried to charm her just to spite him then yeah, they are assholes. But if they just were interested at the same time as him then really he has no greater "right" to her attention than they do.

You are totally ignoring her agency as well, if she wanted the moral guy I'm sure she would have made that choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

UCDVet wrote: »
    In a bar, you can look and see if they are physically attractive, but that's it.

It's a pretty damn key part of the equation though. When it comes to relationships, this is the make-or-break factor and one that is not gaugeable online IME. You can spend all day and all night chatting to the most interesting person in the world with whom you have everything in common, think they look nice in their pictures, then meet them in real life and that integral 'thing' that draws two people together romantically is just not there. Chemistry, intrigue, sexual attraction, whatever.

And I'd disagree that everyone on a dating site is there to find a date. There's a vast array of time wasters, insecure people looking for an ego boost, married men, bored people just keeping themselves entertained etc.

beks101 wrote: »
    And I'd disagree that everyone on a dating site is there to find a date. There's a vast array of time wasters, insecure people looking for an ego boost, married men, bored people just keeping themselves entertained etc.

True however in my personal experience, meeting people out can yield the same type of people. There's advantages and disadvantages to both methods, some people have more success with one over the one, its up to personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If he could lose her hat easy then she was hardly his soulmate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

tinz18 wrote: »
    True however in my personal experience, meeting people out can yield the same type of people. There's advantages and disadvantages to both methods, some people have more success with one over the one, its up to personal experience.

1: Sorry for calling it Tindr :) My mistake! TindEr is it!

2: I've never actually gone on a date/hook up from tinder - what spurred all this is my amazement at what these sites can achieve. I was sitting with the housemate on sat night, having a few bottles of beer and by eight o clock he had arranged a one nighter with some girl off tinder. We continued out beers, about eleven he got up got a taxi to hers , had sex and was back in the house having another beer by half twelve!

The efficiency of the system struck me :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Did he say how much he paid? :pac:

Absolutely nada!!

He even got a few photos/video clips off her before the deed as he was getting lazy about ten and didnt want to pay for a taxi. She was trying to entice him with some saucy camera work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

I find hookers are a preferable choice to the skanks you get on tinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Is there a difference? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

whupdedo wrote: »
    I find hookers are a preferable choice to the skanks you get on tinder

Had no luck on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

1: Sorry for calling it Tindr :) My mistake! TindEr is it!

2: I've never actually gone on a date/hook up from tinder - what spurred all this is my amazement at what these sites can achieve. I was sitting with the housemate on sat night, having a few bottles of beer and by eight o clock he had arranged a one nighter with some girl off tinder. We continued out beers, about eleven he got up got a taxi to hers , had sex and was back in the house having another beer by half twelve!

The efficiency of the system struck me :O

That's something I can't get my head round at all. This is a question asked out of curiosity and not to knock it or anything but what if he called to hers and she was nothing like the picture? What if he simply didn't fancy her (or vice versa)? Do they just make their excuses and leave? Massive gamble.

Is there a difference? :)

Eh....yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

:confused: Women have the ability to make their own choices. The lady in question may have just preferred the other guy.

That's something I can't get my head round at all. This is a question asked out of curiosity and not to knock it or anything but what if he called to hers and she was nothing like the picture? What if he simply didn't fancy her (or vice versa)? Do they just make their excuses and leave? Massive gamble.

Awkwardness where he hangs around for an hour for appearances sake, gets a taxi home where he claims he rode her and drowns his sorrow/sexual frustration/relief in more beer?

:confused: Women have the ability to make their own choices. The lady in question may have just preferred the other guy.

Yep. You can't "bagsies" a human being. Unless you're a slave owner, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Yep. You can't "bagsies" a human being. Unless you're a slave owner, of course.

Dibs on the blonde wan. Her ass is mine. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

They're not random. They're on the Internet Ffs

Yeah well I have seen him bring home women who you could tell they weren't his type. I suppose at that point of the weekend he's of the opinion that anyone will do. Women obviously thinking the same.

Hes has some weird ones back tough - one came over one night and spent the entire time crying (I could hear this ) , then he rode her , she cried again . It was something to do with hating her work etc etc it always baffaled me why she thought having casual sex of a Friday night would do anything to help her current , highly emotional mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Is POF down or something? I'm trying to log in but its not accepting my details. When i try to recover my password via email, the email doesnt arrive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement