Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Imessage waiting for activation

• 18-09-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

Switched from Vodafone to Tesco mobile yesterday and my iMessages won't work properly since.
    I kept my old number but it's the tesco number that's still paired with imessage.
    My number in settings is my Vodafone one.
    I have tried turning off imessage and then switched of the phone for 10 minutes, several times.
    I have tried logging out of my apple account, when I log back in my Vodafone number is on my apple account but when I go into iMessage settings, the tesco one is showing, it is greyed out with a tick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

blade1 wrote: »
    Switched from Vodafone to Tesco mobile yesterday and my iMessages won't work properly since.
    I kept my old number but it's the tesco number that's still paired with imessage.
    My number in settings is my Vodafone one.
    I have tried turning off imessage and then switched of the phone for 10 minutes, several times.
    I have tried logging out of my apple account, when I log back in my Vodafone number is on my apple account but when I go into iMessage settings, the tesco one is showing, it is greyed out with a tick.

Is you new number showing up in Settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

The phone sends a text message to a uk number when imessage activates. Do you have sufficient credit etc for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

naasrd wrote: »
    Is you new number showing up in Settings?

Hi naasrd, just got it sorted there.
    I topped up by €15.
    I got unlimited calls when I topped up.
    I then used €10 of the 15 to buy unlimited texts and I used the remaining €5 to buy 1gb of data.

Now, this is where the problem arose.

Switching on my iMessages meant a text has to send to Apple to activate it.

As I had spent my €15,it couldn't send, so it was stuck on waiting to activate.

Tesco mobile were no help figuring it out.
    It would have been handy if a pop up informed me that I needed credit to activate iMessages.

The phone sends a text message to a uk number when imessage activates. Do you have sufficient credit etc for that?

Oops didn't see your post there but yes you are spot on!

Problem now is I can imessage people but my email address is what they are getting.
    I ticked start new conversations from my number.

And also, no one can iMessage me, only receiving SMS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

iMessage is associated with your email address so unless they send it to your email address you wont get it so they have to text you.
    Go into the settings and it should allow you change the number that is sending/receiving the iMessages.

• Advertisement

jonny24ie wrote: »
    iMessage is associated with your email address so unless they send it to your email address you wont get it so they have to text you.
    Go into the settings and it should allow you change the number that is sending/receiving the iMessages.

I have tried start conversation from number + email.
    Using email works but I want my number to show not my email.

If I tick my number I can't receive iMessages but can send them.
    It wasn't like this before I switched mobile provider yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I have tried start conversation from number + email.
    Using email works but I want my number to show not my email.

If I tick my number I can't receive iMessages but can send them.
    It wasn't like this before I switched mobile provider yesterday.
    Try this first:
    Go to Settings => Messages => iMessage & toggle to OFF

Then scroll down to and tap Send & Receive

Then tap Apple ID & on the white popup screen tap Sign Out

This should result in a screen saying ''You can be reached by iMessage at''. Your phone number should be automatically ticked.

Then from the top of the screen tap Messages

Go to iMessage & toggle to ON

Scroll back down to & tap Send and Receive

Tap ''Use your Apple ID for iMessage

Enter your Apple ID & Password & tap Sign In

Your phone number should be there & already ticked, as will any email addresses that had been entered previously

At the top of that screen tap Next

Wait for verification

That should be it!
    (Hopefully!)

If not & no-one comes up with any more suggestions that work you may need to get a replacement blank sim from your new provider. In the past people have had problems after porting from one provider to another but as far as I remember it was mainly Three customers.

I can't even sign in with my Apple ID.

It says check network.

I can't even sign in with my Apple ID.

It says check network.

Have you synched phone with iTunes?

Have you synched phone with iTunes?

Since I changed provider?

• Advertisement

Since I changed provider?

Yes.

In Settings=> Carrier which carrier name appears?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

It's working eventually!
    But can't get my name to appear on other people's phones when they receive an iMessage from me.

I think I'll have to leave it like that because if i need to activate iMessages once more ill crack.

It's working eventually!
    But can't get my name to appear on other people's phones when they receive an iMessage from me.

I think I'll have to leave it like that because if i need to activate iMessages once more ill crack.
    Oh that's great!

Your name appearing on other people's phones is nothing to do with you - if they delete you as a contact altogether & set you up as a new contact it should fix it for them. Either way it's not your problem!

Glad you got it sorted anyway!

Oh that's great!

Your name appearing on other people's phones is nothing to do with you - if they delete you as a contact altogether & set you up as a new contact it should fix it for them. Either way it's not your problem!

Yeah????
    I never knew that!
    Thanks for your help!

Oh that's great!

Yeah????
    I never knew that!
    Thanks for your help!

Yes sorted thank you very much.
    Got someone to delete me and I called them then they added me to their contacts again.
    Now my name is appearing with my iMessages to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

usually just having the two people delete the conversation is sufficient.

shanec1928 wrote: »

Brilliant! I'll try that with someone else so. Cheers!

shanec1928 wrote: »

This has worked for me!
    Ye're on the ball lads;)

A bit off topic but a friend of mine is getting 3 new iPhones.
    He is selling 3 iphone 4s'.
    I'm getting one off him for a family member.
    The phones are locked to e-mobile but he is getting the unlock codes during the week.

Now, what I'd like to know is,when eMobile unlock the phones, can I activate the unlock on my iTunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

A bit off topic but a friend of mine is getting 3 new iPhones.
    He is selling 3 iphone 4s'.
    I'm getting one off him for a family member.
    The phones are locked to e-mobile but he is getting the unlock codes during the week.

Now, what I'd like to know is,when eMobile unlock the phones, can I activate the unlock on my iTunes?

Yes. The phone will be marked as unlocked on the activation servers. Make find my iPhone is disabled to allow you activate on a different account.

• Advertisement

Yes. The phone will be marked as unlocked on the activation servers. Make find my iPhone is disabled to allow you activate on a different account.

Ok, cheers!

Advertisement