Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making Cold Brew

• 18-09-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,
    Think I might endeavour to make cold brew soon.

Has anybody here done before? And any advised methods?

If making a small enough batch would, steeping it in the fridge, followed by pressing it through an aeropress be a good option? My other alternative is using a french press.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

i think aeropress for a small batch would be great. Use a medium grind , 10 - 1 by weight ratio, steep for 16 hours in the fridge. Should be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Do you drink this coffee cold, or add hot water to it (like miwadi) to enjoy the different flavour characteristics?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I made some iced coffee once. Made it with milk. Not sure if I did it right but all I did was make a kind of paste from strong filter coffee, then added milk and ice. Was quite nice. Strong, but nice. I probably did it wrong(officially). I was really just experimenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Prenderb wrote: »
    Do you drink this coffee cold, or add hot water to it (like miwadi) to enjoy the different flavour characteristics?

It's drank cold, it's like a different drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 caffaddict

Cheers for the tips. I will try this at the weekend I think

• Advertisement

Tried this, ended up just using a normal filter for a coffee machine that I had lying around, with the same grind size I use with aeropress. It was awful - super super bitter so I think it was far too fine! May try again with coarser grind and/or using the aeropress.

Prenderb wrote: »

You drink it cold, some people dilute it I think as it requires far more coffee per ml of water than "normally" brewed coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

caffaddict wrote: »
    Tried this, ended up just using a normal filter for a coffee machine that I had lying around, with the same grind size I use with aeropress. It was awful - super super bitter so I think it was far too fine! May try again with coarser grind and/or using the aeropress.

One of the aspects of cold-brew is it's lack of bitterness. I generally grind to french press coarseness, and steep (for a couple of days) with about three times the volume of water to coffee, before filtering through a Kone. Then dilute to preferred taste when drinking.

alastair wrote: »
    One of the aspects of cold-brew is it's lack of bitterness. I generally grind to french press coarseness, and steep (for a couple of days) with about three times the volume of water to coffee, before filtering through a Kone. Then dilute to preferred taste when drinking.

A couple of days? Wow!
    I went two aeropress scoops(about 40g) to about 100/150ml water which at an estimate is a slighter larger ratio of water/coffee, got those from a scaled down recipie I found online.
    thanks for the tips, will try that next time I think

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

A couple of days seems overly long to me. :P It would probably be too bitter because of over-extraction. But I may be wrong.

I started drinking coffee just last year and actually, I had my first ever cup made by the cold brew method. Cold brew makes coffee much less acidic compared to the usual way of brewing and makes for a much smoother drink. I really like it with milk.

The way I make it after hours of reading online and experimenting is I use the Hario Mini Mill grinder and set it to the coarse setting, around 13-15 clicks I would say (depending if you modded yours), and use a ratio of 1.0g water : 6.6g coffee to make cold brew. I use bottled water from the fridge. Measure out the water and coffee, put the coffee in a french press or container, slowly pour the water in, stir slightly with a non-metal utensil (chopsticks for example) to make sure all the grounds are immersed. Cover with airtight lid. Put it in the fridge for 12 hrs. Press the french press or filter the mixture with a nut bag or similar if you used a mason jar etc.

And enjoy one of your best cups of coffee... diluted or not :) I love it so much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement