Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexen N8000 tires - anybody tried?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I mean at the moment with a small exception, my experience is the tyre fitting stations won't fit tires unless you buy them there.
    The only one even half local to me that I found was Heffernans in Kildare, which I only found through word of mouth.

It's getting to the stage that I might consider looking at buying a tyre fitting machine. I have between 3 and 6 cars on the road at any one stage, so that's a lot of "€20 a corner" business that would be permanently lost.

It's getting to the stage that I might consider looking at buying a tyre fitting machine. I have between 3 and 6 cars on the road at any one stage, so that's a lot of "€20 a corner" business that would be permanently lost.

Unless you have 3 to 6 drivers too you are only wearing down one set of tyres at any one stage. Have you priced a tyre fitting machine? Presumably you'll need the wheels balanced too.

Makes no financial sense whatsoever.

Augeo wrote: »
    Unless you have 3 to 6 drivers too you are only wearing down one set of tyres at any one stage. Have you priced a tyre fitting machine? Presumably you'll need the wheels balanced too.

Makes no financial sense whatsoever.

I'd not actually buy one, just illustrating a point. Of course I hadn't priced a tyre fitting machine.

At the moment I do approx 1500-2000 miles a month, spread across all the cars. Plus, tyres need to be changed due to age aswell ;)

Where's your tyre shop based?

I'd not actually buy one, just illustrating a point. Of course I hadn't priced a tyre fitting machine.

Where's your tyre shop based?

Lol, what point were you illustrating if you now state that of course you wouldn't buy one a short while after mentioning you might consider doing so?

I don't own a tyre shop. A good friend does though and he charges 20 a corner to fit and balance a set of customer sourced tyres, for that he disposes of the old ones too.

Augeo wrote: »
    Lol, what point were you illustrating if you now state that of course you wouldn't buy one a short while after mentioning you might consider doing so?

I don't own a tyre shop. A good friend does though and he charges 20 a corner to fit and balance a set of customer sourced tyres, for that he disposes of the old ones too.

I was illustrating the fact that it is difficult to find someone to fit tyres purchased online.

Well I'm sure your "good friend" is probably in good demand, 20 a corner for a fit is pretty standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Out of interest, are there any figures to show how many people in Ireland actually source their own tires (online or elsewhere)? I would imagine that its a very small percentage, but Id be interested to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

While I can see your point, surely the margin on fitting a set of tyres can't be more than €20 a corner (so that's €80 on a set of four, for approx 10-30 mins work at most).

Exactly yes, €80 to be made by supplying and fitting. But people in this thread reckon €40 per set is sufficient for fitting only.

So effectively people would expect a tyre shop to survive on 50% of its current income without any significant reduction in overheads, which is crazy when you think about it.

Exactly yes, €80 to be made by supplying and fitting. But people in this thread reckon €40 per set is sufficient for fitting only.

So effectively people would expect a tyre shop to survive on 50% of its current income without any significant reduction in overheads, which is crazy when you think about it.

I've said on this thread that I paid 20 a corner to fit tyres. That's an ok price to me, and I still saved money versus buying in store.

If more people just wanted fitting, there would be a reduction in overheads, a smaller premises could be sought as storage wouldnt be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

€20 is a fair price IMO.

If you look at most tyre shops the stock of new tyres does not take up significant floor space so I don't buy that argument at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement